WCQ - Interzone Playoffs [R]

DJT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

right, so that's that then...

no more bickering if they don't make it...

I still don't see a need to increase Asia's 4.5 teams now... I certainly would not go higher than 5

but I'm only afraid that would take North America's play-off spot away, which would be a shame from a selfish/Canadian point of view

River City I don't think that is what it is about simply making up the numbers.

The Australian side has a better chance then and now of causing an upset. Uruguay are unbeatable at home and in important games. They are incapable of winning away. But then again - France, Argentina etc didn't give a good account of themselves. Australia competes wherever it goes. As for creating a big dent in the tournament - we'd be kidding ourselves.

Don't ask me where Canada is at. Our countries are so similar in many ways - including having other sports dominate. All I know is that its taken us fifty years to achieve the new start thats happened in the last 2 years. It started through a government inquiry after the lack of preperation and lack of tactical nous from losing to Uruguay in 2001. Things are vastly different now with a new league and money in the game. I'd love to see the Australians play your big southern neighbour - be a good contest.

As for Dwight Yorke - he loves the party lifestyle in Sydney. That's why. As long as he works hard - Pierre Littbarski doesn't mind him playing up. And Yorke isn't dominating the league either. The league is about as good as Belgium Jupiler or Austrian Bundesliga. I'm from Melbourne - and we hate Sydney anyway - so I don't wish him any luck.

I agree with you that in a tournament, anything can happen - look at Canada with the Gold Cup in 2000.

My problem is that Australians (the perception anyway) seem to think they're entitled to qualify automatically. It would be like Canada being in a crappy Confederation (the Artic Confederation) and pounding on Greenland 17-0 and expecting to qualify based on results like that.

I hope Australia does well in the AFC and I think you guys will be able to qualify for 2010, but you'll be doing the same way as the rest of the world - with actual competition.

Having said that, I have a lot of respect for Australia's no bull**** way of getting things done. What you guys did with your swimming program for example was absolutely great. If you can do the same with soccer, watch out....

I agree with you that in a tournament, anything can happen - look at Canada with the Gold Cup in 2000.

My problem is that Australians (the perception anyway) seem to think they're entitled to qualify automatically. It would be like Canada being in a crappy Confederation (the Artic Confederation) and pounding on Greenland 17-0 and expecting to qualify based on results like that.

I hope Australia does well in the AFC and I think you guys will be able to qualify for 2010, but you'll be doing the same way as the rest of the world - with actual competition.

Having said that, I have a lot of respect for Australia's no bull**** way of getting things done. What you guys did with your swimming program for example was absolutely great. If you can do the same with soccer, watch out....

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

So GolTV Canada will be showing both legs of Uruguay x Australia as well as both legs of Spain x Slovakia LIVE. Remember that the Uruguay x Australia first-leg game has been moved up to 2:00p EST on Saturday.

Hmmm... looks like the start-time of Uruguay x Australia first-leg match has been moved yet again. Now to 3:00p EST Saturday. Which means GolTV's broadcast of the Spain game will come on tape-delay beginning at 5:00p EST.

So GolTV Canada will be showing both legs of Uruguay x Australia as well as both legs of Spain x Slovakia LIVE. Remember that the Uruguay x Australia first-leg game has been moved up to 2:00p EST on Saturday.

Hmmm... looks like the start-time of Uruguay x Australia first-leg match has been moved yet again. Now to 3:00p EST Saturday. Which means GolTV's broadcast of the Spain game will come on tape-delay beginning at 5:00p EST.

Am I hearing that a bunch of loud-mouthed sunburnt beer hounds, schnozzes covered in zinc oxide, full of themselves over beating up on powers like the Solomon Islands and Fiji, are complaining about playing the 5TH PLACED team from South America? on a Cdn site??

PFO.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

What about the money?

There's a roster rule in the A-League that allows teams to bring on one marquee player and not have him count against the overall salary cap.

Certain that Anthony LaPaglia is writing the cheques for him.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Am I hearing that a bunch of loud-mouthed sunburnt beer hounds, schnozzes covered in zinc oxide, full of themselves over beating up on powers like the Solomon Islands and Fiji, are complaining about playing the 5TH PLACED team from South America? on a Cdn site??

PFO.

Well, it does make more sense for Australia to play the 5th placed team from Asia while #4 concacaf plays #5 SAmerica. The amount of travel that Uruguay and Australia must endure is ridiculous. The majority of the Uruguay players won't arrive in Australia until 36 hours prior to the second-leg kick-off. And they're flying economy class I might add. :(

Well, it does make more sense for Australia to play the 5th placed team from Asia while #4 concacaf plays #5 SAmerica. The amount of travel that Uruguay and Australia must endure is ridiculous.

An Australia-Bahrain flight can't be much shorter. The straight-line distance between them is about 12,500km, versus about 11,800km for Australia-Uruguay.

However, the way things are, Bahrain and T&T also have to travel great distances, so having Australia vs. Bahrain and T&T vs. Uruguay would at least make it better for two of the teams. But Australia would still be in the same position no matter who they play.

Well, it does make more sense for Australia to play the 5th placed team from Asia while #4 concacaf plays #5 SAmerica. The amount of travel that Uruguay and Australia must endure is ridiculous.

An Australia-Bahrain flight can't be much shorter. The straight-line distance between them is about 12,500km, versus about 11,800km for Australia-Uruguay.

However, the way things are, Bahrain and T&T also have to travel great distances, so having Australia vs. Bahrain and T&T vs. Uruguay would at least make it better for two of the teams. But Australia would still be in the same position no matter who they play.

TELEVISION FOR ALL PLAYOFFS

Only premiere broadcasts are listed, but there will also be repeats.

Saturday, November 12

3:00 PM EST — Gol TV — Uruguay vs. Australia              [live]

5:00 PM EST — Gol TV — Spain vs. Slovakia                  [1-hour tape delay]

<s>5:30 PM EST — FSWC  — Trinidad & Tobago vs. Bahrain  [live]</s>

Wednesday, November 16

4:00 AM EST — Gol TV — Australia vs. Uruguay              [live]

2:15 PM EST — Gol TV — Slovakia vs. Spain                  [live]

[bahrain vs. Trinidad & Tobago not announced yet]

Saturday, November 12

<s>5:30 PM EST — FSWC  — Trinidad & Tobago vs. Bahrain  [live]</s>

Wednesday, November 16

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Saturday, November 12

5:30 PM EST — FSWC  — Trinidad & Tobago vs. Bahrain  [live]

Wednesday, November 16

You sure the T&T game is on in Canada? They have said a few times on FSW Report that it is on in the USA only.

Australian Roster for the series.

John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain)

Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy)

Tim Cahill (Everton, England)

Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland)

Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden)

Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Holland)

Ahmad Elrich (Fulham, England)

Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England)

Vince Grella (Parma, Italy)

Joel Griffiths (Neuchatel Xamax, Switzerland)

Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy)

Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England)

Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham, England)

Ljubo Milicevic (FC Thun, Switzerland)

Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England)

Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Josip Skoko (Wigan Athletic, England)

Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory, Australia)

Michael Thwaite (National Bucharest, Romania)

Tony Vidmar (NAC Breda, Holland)

Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England)

Luke Wilkshire (Bristol City, England)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You sure the T&T game is on in Canada? They have said a few times on FSW Report that it is on in the USA only.

It's listed on their schedule (PDF) and on Rogers' on-screen guide. But what they say on FSW Report should be the most reliable info — thanks for pointing it out.

These channels are extremely frustrating. The schedules that they post are virtually useless. [xx(]

An interesting game from a tactical perspective but Uruguay was clearly the most talented side. But Australia had their chances and seemed very well prepared. Again, Uruguay should win but I wouldn't bet against Australia either.

Referee was crap and the Goltv announcers were also crap.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Uruguay 1 Australia 0

Dario Rodriguez with the goal at 35 minutes.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

After watching a few minutes of T&T vs. Bahrain match, it is a shame that one of these teams will appear in Germany. Uruguay and Australia are much better.

Where did you see it? Don't tell me it was on FSWC after all.

Archived