Canadian Pro Soccer at it's Finest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elias

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Elias

This $1-million loss is your number right? This is not something Ferrari has either told you or been quoted? My point is that I think you are highly overestimating the loss. I would put it at the most half of that, if that.

But even a million, if he makes it big in Europe, he will make more than a million. And if Ferrari can afford it, why not? Most parents do go just a little overboard.

Yes, that is my guesstimate. If it wage bill is $20,000 per month, which is significantly lower than last seasons bill (as told to me by Thunder front office, but no number), so we'll say $100,000 for this season, $200,000 for last season and a couple of $100,000 seasons for the first two.

OK, so the million was waaay over-estimated. My bad. Half of that would be correct.

It is true, if this is merely a launching pad, then all power to them... but for the few of us who genuinely and regularly turn out for games, we'll be burned, so optimism is all I have got at this point.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

But that second season, wasn't there a whole issue with Perri and he quit and even other players quit and a whole soap opera cause it was obvious Robbie was playing cause his daddy owned the team?

But like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'll take your word on that one since that pre-dates my arrival to the Thunder matches. To be honest, I paid no attention to them since I was sure they were going to be here and gone within a season or two. Year three, I figured they might have something and here I am. It's the whole emotional investment thing. It's hard to care about anything that won't be around long enought to be fully appreciated.

I've called the Thunder office looking for a location for the next home game, nothing of note yet.

Never a dull moment, this footie.

quote: Ahhhh, aren't you the little sensitive one?

And all the attacks on Torontonians are warranted right?

Just didn't quite understand where the comment aimed at Montreal and Vancouver fans fantasizing that they are super fans. As far as I read in this thread, no fan from either city was bragging about being super fans. What anythign has to do with unwarranted attacks on Toronto (haven't seen any in this thread either) I'm not too sure of either.

quote:Just out of curiosity, how do you guys know about Stadnyk's personal financial losses?

Well Johnnie pointed out all the interesting stuff, plus there was other stuff I read in newspapers as well. Didn't Standnyk also have a wife that left him at the same time as his claims of losing money on the Caps?

Another thing to consider in Stadnyks "expenses" list was the one time cost of switching over to the "Whitecaps" brand with new uniforms for both the man and women and all of the other costs associated with rebranding the club. It was a one time cost but he tried to make it sound like that kind of costs happen every year.

quote:So according to Stadnyk, he LOST close to $3 MILLION in three seasons.

Lets remember that Standyk never owned the team for 3 seasons in the first place! Stadnyk moved in on the team a couple of games before the end of the 2000 season and his company didn't officially take over ownership of the team until the end of September 2000. 2001 was his only full season of owning the team until he walked away early in the 2002 season.

quote:Both local teams - the mens Whitecaps and womens Breakers - were dumped by owner David Stadnyk late last month amidst public complaints of poor ticket sales and a purported $2 to $3 million in losses since 1999.

Yes, this was the scummiest worst lie of his ever. The Whitecaps ended the 2001 season off with 2 playoff games that drew 6,782 and 6,685-the second game a Wednesday night game with only 2.5 days available to sell tickets. That season ended with an average of 5,542 per game, second highest season average since their very first season in 1987. The first game of the 2002 season drew 5,816 and nothing had changed. It was after this game that Stadnyk went public with his claim of poor ticket sales. WTF? How did he figure that? Prior to his public bitching nothign was any different than the previous years. How can you draw 5,816 for opening night, hundreds more than averaged the season before and claim ticket sales are bad? What a liar.

quote:Consider that Vancouver was one of the best attended teams in the league at this time...

Vancouver were third in the league the one full year (2001) Stadnyk owned the team, behind Rochester and first year team Portland. The year before when Stadnyk bought th eteam a couple of games before the end of the season the team was second in the league in attendance. Then in 2002 when he walked away from the team and turned off a few fans with his negative comments the Caps still managed to have the 6th highest average in the 18 team league.

Archived