Roda JC interested in Olivier Occean

loyola

Here's the link:

www.voetbalonline.nl

Roda JC haalt opvolger voor Koné in huis

KERKRADE, 28 augustus 2005 15:39 - Als alles volgens verwachting verloopt, contracteert Roda JC vandaag Oliver Occean. De spits van het Noorse Odd Grenland wordt vandaag bekeken door Nol Hendriks, bestuurslid technische zaken van de Limburgers. De 23-jarige Canadese spits speelde afgelopen seizoen nog met zijn club tegen Feyenoord in het UEFA-Cuptoernooi.

translation:

Roda JC finds replacement for Kone

Kerkrade, 28 augustus 2005 15:39 If everything goess according to expectations, Roda JC will contract Oliver Occean today. De striker of Nordic Odd Grenland is being watched by TD Nol Hendriks of the club. The 23-year old striker played with his club against Feyenoord in last years UEFA-cup tournament.

-----

Looks pretty serious.

I think this would be a good move for him.

On the topic of Dutch soccer, I wonder why more Canadians don't end up playing there. It seems to me that their second division (Golden Division) would be really good place for a landing point in Europe. First of all, the absolutely love Canadians there, as I found out when I visited this spring. They have such a great football enviroment there, I would think that shows through even in the lower divisions. The teams are well run and supported. They also play on the traditional European soccer schedule. No disrespect to the Scandanavian countries that our guys have flocked to recently, but I think the Dutch Golden Division would be a better location if I had my choice.

Jason

Well, calling Roda a big club might be a stretch. There are only three big clubs in Holland and they tend to win everything.

Then there are a number of clubs that tend to stay in the top level. Roda would be one of them along with other clubs like Utrecht, Twente, Vitesse Arnhem, NAC Breda & Alkmaar. Depending on the year, they may make some noise like Alkmaar did last year.

As for Occean, it would be a good move more because it would bring him closer to the big leagues, geographically speaking. Yes, even the big clubs would rather see players up close and live before deciding to taking a chance and signing them.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Roda are one of the bigger first division clubs in Holland. This would be a great move if OO could cement a starting position.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

It may be a question of money, I'm not aware of the salaries in the Dutch second division but I'm pretty sure they get bigger wages in the Norwegian Tippeligaen.

I think you are probably right that salaries are higher in the Tippeligaen and the other top divisions. However, I would suspect that once you hit the second division, the salaries are probably comparable. How about I rephrase -- If I had to choose between a lower division in Scandanavia or the Dutch Second Division, I'd go with the Dutch league.:)

Jason

I really hope this deal is going to happen. A couple of our top canadian players have been rumoured to transfer to bigger clubs, but so far nothing has happened. ie. Bernier to Besiktas, Hutchinson to Chelsea, Celtic, Austria Vienna and Birmingham, Hume to Wigan and Sunderland and Preston North End. Though we have had a few players go to new teams like Peters to Ipswich, Imhof to Bochum, Mckenna to Energie Cottbus, Stalteri to Tottenham and De Guzman to Deportivo. As for Olivier I really think that during the Gold Cup he was having a bad spell but he seems to have snapped out of it. This move would be perfect career wise for him. He will either eventually move on to one of the big three Feyenoord, PSV, Ajax, or he will possibly move on to France or Belgium for the fact he is french canadian. I cant wait until qualifying starts for WC 2010, our squad will be stacked by then and most of our players by the year 2008 will be between 25-33 years old not to bad age wise. I just hope guys like Stalteri, Brennan, De rosario, Imhof, Jazic and Nsaliwa are still around by then as they will be vital in our hunt to reach our second world cup, but the future my friends is looking very good.

"hope guys like Stalteri, Brennan, De rosario, Imhof, Jazic and Nsaliwa are still around"

More helpful to hope that Yallop is calling them up for games. (DeRo not included)

Even better, hope Frank has stepped aside by that point.

One can only hope and dream. [|)]

"hope guys like Stalteri, Brennan, De rosario, Imhof, Jazic and Nsaliwa are still around"

More helpful to hope that Yallop is calling them up for games. (DeRo not included)

Even better, hope Frank has stepped aside by that point.

One can only hope and dream. [|)]

From skysports. Not much new here though.

Occean view for Roda

by Jeffrey Glorie & Simon Fudge

Roda JC Kerkrade have been linked with a move for Canadian international striker Olivier Occean.

Reports in Holland have suggested that Roda board member Nol Hendriks watched the 23-year-old (pictured) play for his Norwegian club Odd Grenland recently.

The Brossard, Quebec native is thought to want a move to a bigger European club, having established himself as a regular member of Frank Yallop's Canada squad in recent times.

Roda are keen to find a replacement for the departed Arouna Kone, who has joined PSV Eindhoven, and have targeted Occean as a possible option.

The Eredivisie outfit have also been linked with a number of other strikers in the lead-up to Wednesday's transfer deadline, with Swede Darko Lukanovic, Tunisian Ali Zitouni and Argentine Nicolas Frutos all being mooted as targets for the Limburgers as well.

Another target in Hungarian Roland Juhasz has opted for a move to Belgian giants Anderlecht, so it remains to be seen if the Dutch club can bring in a new striker before the end of the month.

Archived