World Cup (BASEBALL) starts Sept 2

argh1

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

So you're saying you disagree with that? I really don't know what to make of the various rants you two guys have made in this thread. You both seem aware that the players at these championships are all low-level pros, semi-pros or amateurs. Yet you seem appalled that Canadian baseball fans -- and the media -- aren't hanging on every pitch. There's not a single player on the Canadian team who played every day this year even at Double A ball (although several -- Votto, Boucher, Rogelstad, Mathiesen come to mind -- are fine prospects who played this year at A ball).

Listen, I doubt there's a bigger baseball fan on this board than yours truly. I'm glad if the world championships help to promote baseball around the world. But the idea that somehow there's something wrong with my "mind set" (or that I'm a "victim") because I'm more interested in major league baseball than the "world championships" is just silly, IMHO. Cheers, though, for creating this thread and keeping it going.

Seem you rather fit the profile of an Edmonton Tarppers fan who wouldn't go back to baseball because the repalcement has no connect to MLB.

Pretty sad. Pretty pathetic.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

Oh, I see, Mr Doyle. The fact that I, along with many others, aren't enthralled by the world baseball championships somehow means we're dupes who don't support local baseball? Well, my friend, be sure you don't strain a groin muscle with those kind of leaps in logic.

o your thinking that the Northern League is cheap amateur baseball then.

Well, I do think it is really sad that MLB appears to refuse to work with the International Baseball Federation on supporting a World Cup that has been held 36 times. I'm sure if MLB had any interest scheduling problems and other concerns could be worked so MLB players can become available to play internationaly. But now that MLB feels there is a buck or 10 to be made instead of working with the IBAF they will have their own invitational international tourney.

It wasn't the quality of the players that bothered me it is the lack of support the MLB and our Canadian media offered. Also yes, I have said it before and I will say it again the "mind set" of North American media and fans is that our "Major" leagues in sports are already the best so our arrogance will not allow us to enjoy anything that is not considered North American "Major" League. Unless of course the sport is considered a "Euro" sport, and for some reason in a Euro sport we seem to believe that clubs have a responsibility to support their country internationaly. Instead of doing the best they can to maintain the spotlight on themselves. Which is what our North American leagues do.

Edit:

The whole discussion reminds me of NHL vs the World pre 1972.

Before 1972 we felt that we were simply the best and USSR proved our thoughts questionable. Now we pay attention to the World in various tourneys.

Hopefully Cuba or Japan or somebody else will do the same for Baseball some day.

'

'

'

'

'

'

The XXXVI Baseball World Cup has ended, the final standings are:

Cuba (World Champions)

South Korea (runners up)

Panama (3rd)

Netherlands (4th)

Japan (5th)

Nicaragua (6th)

USofA (7th)

Puerto Rico (8th)

7th and 8th place were the last of placement play-offs.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

What is the reaction in the BB circles both in NA and the rest of the real world.It seems so stupid and unreal to have two world champions.It is also downright silly.

The MLB World Classic will be treated the same as the NHL World Cup.

They'll throw enough $$ at IBAF and national ass'ns to assure success .

I actually am looking forward to the Classic as it will be the first time the best in the world will be "allowed" to play for their countries. Right or wrong, that's how it is. MLB owns baseball and won't relinquish that. Hopefully Cuba will whip some butt.

The questions remain though; there can't be any qualifying for the Classic as MLB won't release players for those tourneys and MLB probably won't accept IBAF rankings. So what criterea is used.. the number of players in MLB per country or purely on what countries broadcasters will pay for the games.

Invitations have been sent to:

Pool A.............Pool B

Taipei ............Canada

China .............Mexico

Japan..............South Africa

South Korea........USofA.

Pool C ...........Pool D

Cuba...............Australia

Netherlands........Dominican Republic

Panama ............Italy

Puerto Rico........Venezula

Nicaragua (especially) and Columbia are glarring omissions maybe one of these should be ahead of Mexico, Venezula, Dominican Republic (as these teams failed to qualify for XXXVI World Cup) or even Canada who finished behind Nicaragua.

All have accepted except Cuba as far as I know.

I for now have moved onto University and High School ball, for the time being. As I believe supporting what we have locally is more important than sitting in front of a TV.

Atlantic Intercollegiate standings are:

UNB 5-1

SMU 2-1 1/2

DAL 3-2 1/2

ABU 1-3 3

UCCB 0-4 4

Also in Eastern NB High School Conf. there's a brand new school L'Odysée that's not playing too bad.

EDIT: But this will probablly be the last I talk about Baseball here unless there's a MLB play-offs thread with something that interests me or untill The World Classic rumours start.

Archived