World Cup (BASEBALL) starts Sept 2

argh1

In Holland or Netherlands whatever is proper.

Canada plays in pool A:

Canada, Brazil, China, Cuba, Holland, Panama, South Africa, South Korea and Sweden.

Pool B:

Australia, Taipei, Columbia, Greece, Japan, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Spain and U.S.

MLB will not release any players on MLB 40 man rosters. (and they wonder why baseball was thrown out of the Olympics)

EDIT: But Taipei, Japan and South Korea are releasing players (I believe no more than 2 per team?) from their top pro leagues........hold on this is another sport where Canada doesn't have a domestic league.......

Canadian roster 11 pitchers and 13 field players.

Full Canadian roster in pdf format

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

wheres Dominican Rep. and Venezuala?

They didn't get through the qualifying tourney or pre-qualifying tournaments for the Tournament of the Americas.

Panama, Nicaragua, Columbia, Brazil, Puerto Rico, and Cuba beat them in out in a Qualifying tournament in Columbia. Canada and the States didn't send teams to this tourney on advise of respective Foriegn Affairs departments because of threats made to the Canadian and American teams. So the IBAF added two spots to the World Cup and had a tournament this spring in Florida where Canada and the U.S. qualifyed. The countries that just missed making the Cup from Europe, Asia, Oceana, and Africa were also invited to this extra tourney but Oceana and Africa turned down the chance. So Americas zone ended up with both extra WC spots.

Please feel free to correct me if I have my facts wrong.

Actually, I don't believe either the DR or Venezuela participated in the Colombia qualifying tournament. Although there are excellent players from both countries, it's not always the case that their respective associations enter all competitions.

There are some good young players on the Canadian squad. I'll particularly be interested in seeing Sebastien Boucher, who's put up superb numbers as a leadoff hitter in his first year of professional ball (.338 average with 89 runs, 61 walks, 26 SBs in 99 games at low A Wisconsin and high A Inland Empire).

quote:its understandable that mlb teams won't be releasing players, since it's the last month of the season. Can you really blame them?
Yeah, but you have to distinguish between the 25-man roster -- ie. the players at the major league level -- and the 40-man roster -- which includes the major leaguers AND top minor leaguers. (A minor league player cannot be called up to the majors and put on the 25-man roster unless he's on the 40-man roster first.)

Obviously players on the 25-man are untouchable, but you could make the case that some of the minor leaguers on the 40-man could be made available for the world championships, as minor league seasons end early in September. On the other hand, a number of the minor leaguers on the 40-man will be called up to the majors after Sept. 1, when big league rosters expand; plus, for others, their minor league teams may well be in league playoffs, so prohibiting release of all players on the 40-man roster is not an unreasonable decision.

Canada lost again to Holland 7-3. So it looks like maybe no play-offs for the Canucks and we face Cuba next then China then Brazil. China are 3-3 for the last play-off spot in pool A with Canada and South Korea at 2-3 but we need help to edge out South Korea especially because they beat us in pool play and it never looks good when you need help from other teams to beat the teams ahead of you.

China and South Korea play each other to-day. China has that game left against Canada and South Korea has South Africa after China and then Sweden

Standings so far.

Pool A:............Pool B:

Cuba 6-0........Nicaragua 5-1

Holland 6-0......Japan 5-1

Panama 5-1......US 4-1

China 3-3........PR 4-2

S Korea 2-3......Australia 2-3

Canada 2-3......Taipei 2-3

Brazil 1-5........Spain 1-4

Sweden 0-5......Columbia 1-4

SAfrica 0-5......Czech Rep 0-6

The top four in each pool make the play-offs.

Top of the 7th Cuba 7 runs 10 hits 2 errors.....Canada 0 runs 2 hits 2 errors.

Since no-one else is reading this, I will take the time to vent.

What is it with this country unless a team is in an American "Major" league we don't seem to care about it. Are we all a bunch of American wannabes. Our media really only covers teams in US leagues. (Hockey included).

How the f*ck are we ever gonna grow sports in this country if we won't pay attention to our own teams because they aren't playing NY or LA or Chi-Town.

This tourney is a prime example "Canada's National" team is playing but nuthin' nobody cares. But if we have one team playing in a Yankee based league it's a big deal. The logic escapes me.

In the spring MLB will have their own controlled "Worlds" aka the NHL "Worlds" and the media will be all over it..............argh.

What I mean is ......there's no coverage of "National" Championships, even. Because they're not top pro, take the 4 so called "Major" North American sports. Do we know who won the senior or even junior national championships in hockey, baseball, basketball (are there national club championships) or football.......(Saint John Wanderers are Maritime champs).

Or do we only wanna know who's in MLB, NBA, NHL,NFL, CFL. I'd bet more of us watch the NCAA Final 4 than the CIS Final 8 or the NCAA Toilet Bowls than the Vanier Cup.

Big headlines in the Dutch media.I noticed the score against Canada and than I realized that there was some discussion about this on this board.Grabbed the TO papers and not even the scores are shown.There is really something very very wrong here. Ther were some lengty write ups about the US golfing girls and all the other US crap.What the f is going on.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Big headlines in the Dutch media.I noticed the score against Canada and than I realized that there was some discussion about this on this board.Grabbed the TO papers and not even the scores are shown.There is really something very very wrong here. Ther were some lengty write ups about the US golfing girls and all the other US crap.What the f is going on.

No one in the big cities would care unless it were MLB players. There is some talk in Edmonton bcause a couple of Cracker-Cat players are on the team.

Yes Canada is done. Play-off match-ups are:

Cuba vs USofA/Taipei, Netherlands vs Nicaragua, Panama vs Puerto Rico, and Japan vs South Korea.

I'm disappointed in Canada's showing but there it is. I'm also surprised with Taipei, but they were in tough in Pool B with Japan, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua all making the play-offs. The States may just manage to make the play-offs ahead of Taipei. But USofA is 4-2 and Taipei is 3-3. US plays Czech Republic to-day and Taipei plays Nicagarua so if Czech's can some how beat the Amurikans then a show down will be Tuesday...assuming Taipei beat Nicaragua... when Taipei and the States play the last game of pool play. C'mon Czech Republic beat the damn Yankees. ;)

EDIT: As much as I don't like the idea of MLB's invitational World Classic (because of MLB's arrogance) I'm also looking forward to it.

In latest news Japanese legend Sadaharu Oh and current manager of Japan's Pacific Leagues' Softbank Hawks is set to manage the Japanese team in the Classic.....so MLB must have come up with some more ¥ to satisfy Nippon Professional Baseball. As first they wanted the tourney in the fall (after Japan's Central and Pacific Leagues' Championship Series and [choke] the World Series) and a bigger share of revenue before they sent a team. Apparently only players ass'n approval is needed now (wonder if the Nippon Professional Players Ass'n wants more ¥ ? ). So if somehow MLB can convince Cuba to send a team.....can Yankee $$$ buy the participation of one if the top baseball countries in the world........ After all without both Japan and Cuba .....and you gotta have both, is it really a 'WORLDS'

As we say Down East "worry pas" this is the next to 2nd to last post on the 36th World Cup of Baseball.

The Semi's are set:

Cuba (beat the USofA 11-3) vs Panama (beat Nicaragua 2-1)

Holland (beat Puerto Rico 10-0) vs South Korea (beat Japan 5-1)

Games Friday.

Although I have no use for Baseball I still wonder why this gets no attention in Canada.I know the Dutch are up against S.Korea and the Dutch defeated them in preliminary rounds 6-2. Anyway it is leading the sportslines in the Dutch media and I got the impression looking at that enthousiasm the figure to be in the finals. The fans same as in soccer. Lots of Orange and a lot of excitement.Now back to this question,any explenation. The whole bleeping world is there,they call it Worldchampionships and the US and Canada are there,but not a score or any mention in the media. I thought soccer had a problem.Mindboggling. is the power of the baseball gurus that strong that they can even stiffle this worldchampionship. I know baseball is rotten at it's core and maybe this shows it. Anyway I hope my guys win it and than figure out what sinister reasons are there this time.

To me the Dutch have got to be the best kept secret in baseball. Is baseball a big sport over there? How are they beating the more traditional baseball nations? Canada did not send our best but our lineup does include many minor league pros, no? And yet Holland beat us and we are not the only ones. It just surprises me to think that baseball might have a foothold in Europe.

I played a lot of baseball over there,and in between soccer seasons.Holland has been a European Champion many times over.

I suppose they are very good baseball players since they are also very good soccer players and obviously in very good shape.No beer bellies or steroids over there.

It just seems so typical of this screwed up baseball world and although kept as the best baseball secret somebody is going to ask questions.

Hey maybe Holland,or the Dutch whatever you prefer,..... no 1 in Baseball and no 2 in Soccer.Their shirts read Nederland,Netherlands that is.

Autch,they got globbered 7-0. While watching this thing develop I also watched a story about Johan Neeskens who played for Holland in Baseball and they even showed some clips while he was playing against Italy.

Johan Neeskens was a super star soccer player who twice played in the W.C finals.Also played for the NY Cosmos and now coaches a team in Holland.

I have no idea why the World Championship of Baseball recieves so little coverage except the dominance of MLB. The same thing seems to happen in basketball (a sport I have very little intersest in, unless the Canadian National team is playing) where the NBA has such domination. I think it's a North American mind set that our "Major" leagues are the tops in the world......period.

Anywho, the final is set for to-day when South Korea take on Cuba.

But the MLB Champs will still call themselves "World Champions" in October.

I never thought I would try to get the mediam attention for baseball. However I now realize that there is something sickening bad in our N.A sporting societies.One day somone is going to do a comprehensive studie and show all the sleaze,manipulation and deceipt that exist.I guess our kids are the victums of all this crap.

quote:Anywho, the final is set for to-day when South Korea take on Cuba. But the MLB Champs will still call themselves "World Champions" in October.
So you're saying you disagree with that? I really don't know what to make of the various rants you two guys have made in this thread. You both seem aware that the players at these championships are all low-level pros, semi-pros or amateurs. Yet you seem appalled that Canadian baseball fans -- and the media -- aren't hanging on every pitch. There's not a single player on the Canadian team who played every day this year even at Double A ball (although several -- Votto, Boucher, Rogelstad, Mathiesen come to mind -- are fine prospects who played this year at A ball).

Listen, I doubt there's a bigger baseball fan on this board than yours truly. I'm glad if the world championships help to promote baseball around the world. But the idea that somehow there's something wrong with my "mind set" (or that I'm a "victim") because I'm more interested in major league baseball than the "world championships" is just silly, IMHO. Cheers, though, for creating this thread and keeping it going.

Archived