Crazy USL playoff seeding.

DarnCherry

The USL-1 semi-final seedings are like this:

Semi-finals

#1 Seed vs. (Winner of #4 vs. #5) in a two-legged aggregate score series.

#2 Seed vs. (Winner of #3 vs. #6) in a two-legged aggregate score series.

This means that in the event of upsets in the first round the first place team may have to play the 4th place team while the 2nd place team could luck out and play the 6th place team.

Whats the benefit of finishing first overall?

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

What up with the playoffs anyway? Are they two-legs? What about the final, I heard that they just randomly pick one of the two finalists, and the regular season record means nothing, whats with that?

Yes, everything is two legs except the final. They don't randomly pick who hosts the final, the 4 semi-finalists can choose to bid on hosting the final should they make it. The best bid gets to host the final.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Whats the benefit of finishing first overall?

To get a big shiny trophy? [|)]

There is a trophy for first overall, right? I think this is the first year for it? What would happen in some future season if there is no longer a single table (which is what I think would have to happen if the league gets back to 16 teams)?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

To get a big shiny trophy? [|)]

There is a trophy for first overall, right? I think this is the first year for it? What would happen in some future season if there is no longer a single table (which is what I think would have to happen if the league gets back to 16 teams)?

Yep, this is the first year of the new trophy. If they go back to divisions or conferences they'll still award it to the top finishing team in regular season regardless of division or conference. It may be a single table this year but the schedule is still unbalanced. Portland would have won the trophy this year.

I still think the top remaining team in the playoffs should face the bottom ranked team remaining in the playoffs. What is the USL thinking?

Okay, to be more exact this is an excerpt from a pre-season press release:

quote:Among the significant changes in place are the adoption of a single table by the First Division, the official capping of the First Division to 16 teams and the introduction of a 28-game primarily balanced schedule in which all teams will play each other home and away once in the First Division supplemented with an equal number of additional rivalry games. To further emphasize regular season excellence, the regular season champion will be awarded the Commissioner's Cup, which was utilized by the APSL prior to the league's merger with USL before the 1997 season.

Archived