Whitecaps 2006 Youth Programs

Richard

I don't get it?

How is it right for a team to train a player for free, essentally own him, and then sell him when they feel they can get enough money for him. And then say it is wrong for the parents of a player to pay for their child to get training, baby-sitting, and entertainment.

As for it costing $225 a month, thats really not bad. I bet my parent wish that hockey had only cost them that much when I was growing up. And my hockey teams rarely left the lowermainland whereas the whitecaps youth teams travel all over the North West. Not only that, but when I went to see the Caps play the Sounders in Seattle all the youth teams were their to see it as well. So not only do they kids get to learn from trained professionals but they get to see lots of first team action.

I just don't see what the problem is? I mean when I have kids, if they want to play and are good enough I'll gladly fork over the money for the Whitecaps youth program. I'd much rather have that then have my kid owned by some team who will sell him to whomever will pay more, even if it isn't in my child's best interest.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

$225 is not that bad at all.In minor hockey you can spend up to $10,000 a year now with everything from league costs to gear to travel.

And that still doesn't guarantee you a shot at the major leagues. Part of what upset Kelly from what I can gather, is that despite spending the money on his/her child, that child still didn't get a college soccer scholarship or a shot at the bigger time which Kelly seemes to think the money should have bought, hence the bitterness and striking out at everything to do with the game and money.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

And that still doesn't guarantee you a shot at the major leagues. Part of what upset Kelly from what I can gather, is that despite spending the money on his/her child, that child still didn't get a college soccer scholarship or a shot at the bigger time which Kelly seemes to think the money should have bought, hence the bitterness and striking out at everything to do with the game and money.

You guys are like republicans..focus in on one point of a person's background and use it to discredit anything they say. And like most crap the Republicans put out: it is total crap. SO...No I never had a child in the program. We thought about it and realised what it was. A way for 10 coaches to become full time coaches and quit their day jobs. So no, no bitterness.

The fact that maybe one of 2 players have come out of the SYL program and received scholarships, is good sign that our doubts had validly. The upcoming year will be the 4th season of the Fury SYL. The fact that the PDL team only had one player from it's youth ranks, speaks volumes about the quality or lack of it of the program. The W-league had none.

3 grand a year is allot of cash just to say that you had a good time playing soccer, considering you can have a good time basically anywhere for allot less (most local clubs cost 250 per year).

Right? cause as Richard and Jaydog point out it's not about making it as a pro or getting a scholarship, it's about the fun.

I'll get a stupid response this question from Jaydog, so Richard, what is the point of these programs? it has to more than just having fun.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

You guys are like republicans..focus in on one point of a person's background and use it to discredit anything they say. And like most crap the Republicans put out: it is total crap. SO...No I never had a child in the program. We thought about it and realised what it was. A way for 10 coaches to become full time coaches and quit their day jobs. So no, no bitterness.

The fact that maybe one of 2 players have come out of the SYL program and received scholarships, is good sign that our doubts had validly. The upcoming year will be the 4th season of the Fury SYL. The fact that the PDL team only had one player from it's youth ranks, speaks volumes about the quality or lack of it of the program. The W-league had none.

3 grand a year is allot of cash just to say that you had a good time playing soccer, considering you can have a good time basically anywhere for allot less (most local clubs cost 250 per year).

Right? cause as Richard and Jaydog point out it's not about making it as a pro or getting a scholarship, it's about the fun.

I'll get a stupid response this question from Jaydog, so Richard, what is the point of these programs? it has to more than just having fun.

Kelly with all due respect you really have no idea what your talking about here.I have worked at the jr a hockey level for years and the players pay upwords of $5,000 over a course of a 4 year span it is $20

grand.Half of them will go no where after some will make it none of them are given on a team just because they have paid big money.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

Kelly with all due respect you really have no idea what your talking about here.I have worked at the jr a hockey level for years and the players pay upwords of $5,000 over a course of a 4 year span it is $20

grand.Half of them will go no where after some will make it none of them are given on a team just because they have paid big money.

and there is the idiot comment from Jaydog as predicted.

Anyone paying to play JR a or JR B hockey is a ###. Period.

I have been reading the posts by Kelly for sometime, not knowing what to think. Most often I thought this was simply an angry person, however the last comment makes it clear. Anyone, who in today's world would use the word "###" to describe another person is simpy a person of ignorance.

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

It's more than the fun and to be sure for those who stick with the academy programs it is a lot of fun. You evidently evaluated the payback and concluded the price was more than you were willing to pay. Seems it was the right decision for you but that's the beauty of having choices, some opt for the inexpensive club programs coached by dedicated parents, others are willing to pay for professional level coaching. Some people pay thousands of dollars for Armani suits, others are quite happy with $250 suits from Moores or the Bay and can't understand those who are willing to pay the Armani prices. That doesn't mean either is bad or wrong, they are just different and nobody is forced to buy the Armani suits. So what if running an academy means 10 coaches can quit their day jobs or as I would rather view it, simply change jobs because everything that anybody does all day every day is work, even or especially coaching kids soccer and dealing with demanding parents who are shelling out a lot of cash and expect a big return on their investment.

I can personally vouch for the fact that there is a world of difference between the experience any youngster has playing on a local club team and participating in the Whitecaps SYL program, a provincial All Star team or even a national District Development Centre - all of which cost participants a lot of money nowadays. I can't speak for programs in your area but the Whitecaps have more player and coaching applicants than they can take so are quite selective and it shows in the results they achieve. It doesn't suit everybody to be sure, but for those it does suit they find it worth every penny even if they never move on to be professional players or NCAA Div 1 scholarship winners. There is so much more to playing and coaching any game or sport at a high level than merely mastering the technical aspects, it becomes a never to be forgotten life experience.

Time to lay off the whining and criticising Kelly, if we all liked the same kind women (or men) just think of what a pickle we'd be in. Same with soccer programs. Isn't it wonderful that we have such freedom of choice?

quote:We thought about it and realised what it was. A way for 10 coaches to become full time coaches and quit their day jobs.

Just a point of clarification - there are NO full time coaches on the Fury's SYL staff. All have "real" jobs. So much mis-information, so little time...

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Just a point of clarification - there are NO full time coaches on the Fury's SYL staff. All have "real" jobs. So much mis-information, so little time...

Sure, but there are many coaches who run private academies or soccer schools as their principal business and source of income.

Hi Bill, I wasn't really referring specifically to the Fury staff although I take your point. Here in Vancouver there are several private soccer schools/academies not associated with clubs, run by professional coaches on a fulltime basis. I am sure there are plenty in Ontario too.

quote:Originally posted by Kelly

and how much cash does this bring into the whitecaps? with most pro clubs youth systems are used a way to find talent and develop them into future pro's. It costs the club money.

But within the USL scam, a good youth program supports the pro club by simply getting parents to fork over cash.

a scam on the backs of those to wrapped up in the dream to realise that this is not how legitimate pro clubs operate youth programs.....

Therre are a lot of things that big clubs do that the Caps don't. Besides, they can barely afford to pay their first team, so how can you expect them to pay youth players?

Originally posted by Kelly: "a scam on the backs of those to wrapped up in the dream to realise that this is not how legitimate pro clubs operate youth programs....."

Well, it is the way some USL clubs do it and you have a choice you know, nobody forces you or anybody else to participate or fork over any cash. All participants are there by choice and can leave any time or not come back for another season. Seems to me there are plenty of folks keen to participate in the Whitecaps development and SYL programs as they keep expanding and have just sent a record six teams to the SYL national championship tournament. Good for them, we could do with some more intense soccer youth programs like this. The kids love the association with the senior club and wear the same uniforms with pride.

quote:Originally posted by maxG

Just wondering if you guys know anything about the u-21 team the Whitecaps are putting in the vmsl u-21 division? Should be fun to play against!

There is no Whitecaps team listed in the U-21 Division of the VMSL for this winter season.

Archived