Canadian soccer fans don't read much ...

Robert

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how a thread on Canadian soccer publications can change it's course and the discussion's focus starts to center on it's all about yours truly. What's the big deal in coming forth and saying; "Hey Voyageurs, it costs me approximately $1,600 (a randomly picked amount) to put out an issue of WFPs. Wooo, big secret financial information, hey? So assuming this figure is a close ballpark figure, were looking at just under $20,000 for 12 issues. Allow a $30,000 a year income for the Madman, and the paper would need to generate in the neighbourhood of $50,000 a year to be a going concern. Obviously, Chris was not able to earn this from the combined revenues derived from advertising and the sales of the publication itself. So if Chris is unwilling to accept small offers, what is it he is exactly looking for? A sugardaddy in the forms of either Mr. Kerfoot or the PCSL because it only makes sense to do so from Chris' perspective? Does Man. U. support small publications? Or any other major soccer club for that matter? Or if their so inclined to do so, don't they publish on their own? If you go out into the business world to sell a product, you better have something of quality to sell, or you'll run out of money? This is the ultimate bottom line for WFP. What was produced was not purchased by enough to support the venture. Market studies were quiet clearly never conducted and consequently a viable market was never developed. I understand Chris' unwillingness to examine the failings of WFP from other perspectives, that is why he went under. I don't understand why my sensitive investigation offends and instigates those less sensitive.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Amazing how a thread on Canadian soccer publications can change it's course and the discussion's focus starts to center on it's all about yours truly.

Has it not occurred to you to wonder why that is, it happens almost every time you get involved.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Has it not occurred to you to wonder why that is, it happens almost every time you get involved.

What baffles me is why are you so concerned about it? Don't you have anything better to do, like maybe looking for some forgotten bank accounts that you might be able to pilledge? Need I disclose more?

quote:Originally posted by Robert

What baffles me is why are you so concerned about it?

In most instances I could care less about your meaningless ramblings Robert but several of your posts about WFP have been positively damaging to either the paper or Chris personally if left unremarked and you have zero appreciation of that fact.

I am not concerned about the financial affairs of World Football Pages magazine or how they run their business. I like to receive the monthly magazine and read about soccer in B.C., Canada and the world. I find it informative, entertaining and inexpensive. There are many ways to support such a publication, but this thread, with some exceptions, has turned out to be a condemnation of the editor's practices, ideology and vision. I really hope that many of us, perhaps in a quiet way, can give WFP some encouragement and well deserved support. After all our national teams, men, women, boys and girls seem to be doing better than ever. Would it not be nice to be able to read a publication with all these news and progress being made? Without it we got nothing, except for a variety of opinions in forums and some late news from the CSA. In summary I pledge my support to Chris in his endevours and I challenge the rest of the Voyageur community, including moderators, to do the same.

You know Chris, I am 100% in your corner and greatly enjoy the mag you've put out. But I do think that maybe Robert has a point regarding issue 57 - that is, while long term solutions and stable finacials have to be your goal, these sorts of things may be marginally easier if your mag is a going concern versus in hiatus. Its a perception thing really but it seems to make a difference. I would suggest that if you can find a few people willing to float the next issue, well and fully aware of the risks, then take it. Of course, not if it comes with conditions you can't live with.

Good luck with WFP and keep the naysayers at bay. Sometimes I think the National Dream was the last bloody dream anyone in Canda was allowed to have.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

You know Chris, I am 100% in your corner and greatly enjoy the mag you've put out. But I do think that maybe Robert has a point regarding issue 57 - that is, while long term solutions and stable finacials have to be your goal, these sorts of things may be marginally easier if your mag is a going concern versus in hiatus. Its a perception thing really but it seems to make a difference. I would suggest that if you can find a few people willing to float the next issue, well and fully aware of the risks, then take it. Of course, not if it comes with conditions you can't live with.

Good luck with WFP and keep the naysayers at bay. Sometimes I think the National Dream was the last bloody dream anyone in Canda was allowed to have.

This thread alone indicates that there are numerous posters who have indicated their desire for a Canadian soccer publication, and I'm sure the numbers of silent readers who feel the same are even greater, however, they have no intention of getting involved in the antics of some, including myself, but mainly Richard;) and Loud Mouth Soap;), who carry on in less than constructive ways. Hopefully, the two previous posts can set this thread back in a positive direction. On my part, I will try to do so.

Personally, I like the idea of of a publication created from several (as many as possible) different areas of the country. It is impossible for someone on the west coast to have a good grasp on what is happening in central or eastern Canada, and vice versa. A co-ordinated effort from various regions would result in a more nationally all-inclusive publication. What I have found lacking in past Canadian soccer publications is the absense of interviews with local players from metro leagues, senior provincial leagues, the PCSL, and the CPSL. Getting a story about league top scorers and other leading players shouldn't be that hard. All the afore mentioned leagues are generally pretty faceless to the average Canadian soccer fan, and the media could have a wealth of material resources here, pretty well free of charge. Just think what these interviews would cost in Europe? A publication covering the National, provincial, USL, metro, CIS, and other leagues would need no European fillers. Published quarterly, issues would be filled with enough exclusive Canadian content to satisfy every Canadian soccer fans need to keep informed. Covering the game in as much of the country as possible, should also create the largest possible market, which might be enough to create something long lasting (like at least 10 years worth).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Huh???

[:P]

I was hoping a couple other people would spend their time trying to figure it out. [}:)]:D

As for WFP, so Chris, any closer to publishing? I even bought a stamp today with your name on it. Should I purchase an envelope?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived