Ignoring the Canadian Game

thepatriot

I find it very unfortunate that the producers at Soccercentral choose, on a regular basis, to ignore the Canadian soccer scene. Filling time in a show with everything on "the world" of soccer is not a difficult task. Searching out stories that are important to the Canadian soccer fan is not such an easy task, but all the part of helping build the sport in this country. It's just like the old saying with the chicken or the egg.....the media is also to blame as the lack of coverage is directly linked to the growth of the game or lack there of here in Canada. No mention of the United Soccer League's defending champions, and currently top of the table, the Montreal Impact who clinched a play-off spot. What is going on with the Whitecaps?? No mention of our U-15 team capturing the CFU Cup. No mention or promotion of any of the Men's and Women's national teams upcoming matches and they're even on Sportsnet. Are there any updates on players over the summer that we should know about?? They almost seem more obsessed about covering the American game and Major League Soccer. If Soccercentral was an American based show they'd be getting great coverage. Certainly, in it's current state the Canadian game may not be as glamorous or catch all the headlines, but it is "OUR" game and it's important that the people, players, coaches, and teams find there way into our homes every week.

I think in partial fairness, the atention that the show has of MLS and the develoment of the game in the US of A is more along the line of "if they could do it down there, then why not here?"

Why not? Well, we're kinda short of nationalists Sugar Daddys just now. That why not.

Agreed though. I'm sure with a little help from the various Division 1 PR guys the show could spare 50 seconds to blurb out a wee bit of the domestic goings ons.

Let's face it. Sportsnet/BlueJays/RogersCorp is a Toronto institution like much of Canada's media, that is obsessed with its mirror image in the USA, or obsessed with its similiarly obsessed competitors such as MLSE/Raptors/MapleLeafs and TSN/CFL. When it pays attention to soccer, it sees money and profit mainly from the Eurocentric soccer community, the CSA and the national teams or the local soccer teams are just things to pay nodding glances at. When it looks to future markets for growth, it naturally looks at something that would be successful on an Ammerican model, such as the MLS. The sports media is not alone in this, Canadians are obsessed with how sexy we are in the US prism. CBC is still a minority network, and more foreign to most Canadians than the Fox network.

Now, I don't want to be accused of being anti-Toronto or anti-MLS, as I think that given the reality of the present situation, a Toronto MLS franchise, even if controlled by one of the above named institutions, would only be an practical advancement for Canadian soccer. Soccer has to succeed in Toronto, and on Toronto terms. And I don't think that it detracts from the good work done by the Kerfoot and Saputo organizations, as well as the local grassroots soccer scenes all over Canada which are the real story behind soccer development in Canada that should be getting a lot more play by the media.

I think that all we can do is try to encourage Sportsnet to increase the Canadian coverage as much as possible.

These guys try to show the European game to us. Yet I get my Euro news elswheer. I would love for this saturday show to incloude Canadian content. A weekl interview with a Canadian International. Hi-lites from the 3 canadian USL teams. Hi-lites from the teams that have Canadians on them. Its not that hard really get your act together people. I could care less agbout seeing hi-lites from qualifiers which are 2-3 days old on a saturday when I have alrady seen them on a thursday.

These guys try to show the European game to us. Yet I get my Euro news elswheer. I would love for this saturday show to incloude Canadian content. A weekl interview with a Canadian International. Hi-lites from the 3 canadian USL teams. Hi-lites from the teams that have Canadians on them. Its not that hard really get your act together people. I could care less agbout seeing hi-lites from qualifiers which are 2-3 days old on a saturday when I have alrady seen them on a thursday.

ya, Even on Fox sports world report, which I regard highly, lacks Canadian content. Though McMahon does give us a Canadian story every once in a while, it's very short or only durring his appearances on mondays and Fridays. yet he tries.... and he's not even Canadian!!!!

But FSWR does show USL D1 highlights, but we can all see the same ones on the USL website.

I just can't believe that when we arange a game against Portugal or Spain, we cant even watch our boys play the best in the world!!!!!!!!! it's comparible to Canadians fans being barred from the stadium!

Archived