Rogers, TSN, CTV Join Forces for World Cup

sstackho

Rogers, TSN, CTV Join Forces for World Cup

497 words

15 August 2005

eSource Canada Business News Network

English

Copyright 2005 Business Information Group. All Rights Reserved.

TORONTO; In a move designed to provide Canadians with the most comprehensive coverage in history, Rogers Sportsnet, together with TSN and CTV, today announced an agreement to jointly televise all 64 games from the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany. This announcement follows Sportsnet's acquisition of the Canadian broadcast rights for the event last November.

Under an English-language sub-licensing arrangement, Sportsnet and TSN will televise live coverage of all the tournament matches leading up to the FIFA World Cup final, which will be broadcast on CTV on July 9, 2006. This marks the first time all tournament matches will be televised live in Canada, satisfying al of the country's passionate soccer fans. Sportsnet and TSN will air encores of the matches in prime time, and will also televise pre- and post-game shows for each match.

"We believe that for the FIFA World Cup - an elite international event with huge mass audience appeal - Canadians are best served by the unparalleled breadth of coverage provided by the combined resources of Sportsnet, TSN and CTV," said Doug Beeforth, President of Rogers Sportsnet.

"This unique undertaking is all about the fans. TSN, CTV and Rogers Sportsnet have come together to do what's best for the viewer, offering live coverage of every game throughout the tournament," said Phil King, President of TSN. "The FIFA World Cup is the largest single sports event in the world, and working with Sportsnet allows the networks to achieve our common goal of giving Canadian sports fans the most complete coverage possible."

The FIFA World Cup, which begins June 9, will see 32 national teams competing in 12 German cities including Frankfurt, Munich, and Berlin, the host venue for the final match on July 9.

This pretty much allieviates one of my fears when I fist heard that RSN had obtained the rights. Namely, I was concerned that ( given that Blue Jays baseball would always get first crack ) WCQ matches would be pre-empted due to conflicts with Blue jays baseball. Or that RSN would follow through with tape delay broadcasts.

But this is definitely good news.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

This pretty much allieviates one of my fears when I fist heard that RSN had obtained the rights. Namely, I was concerned that ( given that Blue Jays baseball would always get first crack ) WCQ matches would be pre-empted due to conflicts with Blue jays baseball. Or that RSN would follow through with tape delay broadcasts.

Can you imagine what would happen if they pulled something like that? Imagine them showing the Jays 80th game of the season vs. Minnesota instead of any of the World Cup games? They're not that stupid. Hopefully...

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Can you imagine what would happen if they pulled something like that? Imagine them showing the Jays 80th game of the season vs. Minnesota instead of any of the World Cup games? They're not that stupid. Hopefully...

Do we need to go through what happened during the Women's U-19 semis?

This is interesting indeed. CTV and TSN definately come off big winners here, thus fending off the first time in a long time that the World Cup wont be on TSN. I am glad for TSN. I am wondering if the two networks will combine the talents of Gerry Dobson, Craig Forrest, Dick Howard and Vic Rauter.

I am imagining that the Spanish television rights pretty soon will be sold to Telelatino. Ten to One, I bet that happens soon.

Well, Sportsnet bought the rights to English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

Rogers owns 2 Toronto multi-language channels and 1 in Ottawa. I remember in 94 they showed games in other languages. Can't remember other years. TLN is national but the majority of Italians/Spanish/Portuguese live in Ontario so might make sense for them to keep it.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I suspect that that may be why they decided to split the games with TSN. Didn't they win the bid outright to telecast the WC?. Given that Ted Rogers owns the Jays, I cannot see them them pre-empting one of their games in the event of a conflict. Fearing a backlash from some soccer fans, this might have been the only solution for them. Plus with the WC in Germany, it would have meant that many WC matches would have been telecast in the afternoons and on weekends when the jays often play matinee games.

I suspect that that may be why they decided to split the games with TSN. Didn't they win the bid outright to telecast the WC?. Given that Ted Rogers owns the Jays, I cannot see them them pre-empting one of their games in the event of a conflict. Fearing a backlash from some soccer fans, this might have been the only solution for them. Plus with the WC in Germany, it would have meant that many WC matches would have been telecast in the afternoons and on weekends when the jays often play matinee games.

I love the assumptions made on this board....it brings a real smile to my face! The main reason sportsnet sold off parts of the World Cup is pretty simple. $$$$$$$ That's right....money. The price they had to pay to FIFA for the World Cup rights was almost right out of this World. It's become next to impossible for the networks to make a profit from it. FIFA has put a halt to both commerical squeezebacks and bug sponsors in World Cup matches (I actually like the old Carlsburg ones..they made their spots specifically for the squeezebacks) making it that much more difficult to generate revenue. TSN kinda did the same thing in 2002, selling off the majority of the repeat rights to CBC....it made Lenarduzzi look like he really knew what he was talkng about...he could never go wrong.

With that said, Sportsnet and TSN from here on in are only going to submit only 1 bid to FIFA for both World Cups and Euro competitions in the future sharing all of the rights. As for talent....the most recent I've heard is that Mr. Forrest will do the broadcasts on Sportsnet with Gerry Dobson and on TSN with Vic.

Cheers!

I love the assumptions made on this board....it brings a real smile to my face! The main reason sportsnet sold off parts of the World Cup is pretty simple. $$$$$$$ That's right....money. The price they had to pay to FIFA for the World Cup rights was almost right out of this World. It's become next to impossible for the networks to make a profit from it. FIFA has put a halt to both commerical squeezebacks and bug sponsors in World Cup matches (I actually like the old Carlsburg ones..they made their spots specifically for the squeezebacks) making it that much more difficult to generate revenue. TSN kinda did the same thing in 2002, selling off the majority of the repeat rights to CBC....it made Lenarduzzi look like he really knew what he was talkng about...he could never go wrong.

With that said, Sportsnet and TSN from here on in are only going to submit only 1 bid to FIFA for both World Cups and Euro competitions in the future sharing all of the rights. As for talent....the most recent I've heard is that Mr. Forrest will do the broadcasts on Sportsnet with Gerry Dobson and on TSN with Vic.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

FIFA has put a halt to both commerical squeezebacks and bug sponsors in World Cup matches

Can you clarify this? I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial squeezebacks and bug sponsors".

quote:With that said, Sportsnet and TSN from here on in are only going to submit only 1 bid to FIFA for both World Cups and Euro competitions in the future sharing all of the rights.
That makes sense, I was going to ask why they don't just do it this way.

FIFA has put a halt to both commerical squeezebacks and bug sponsors in World Cup matches

Can you clarify this? I'm not sure what you mean by "commercial squeezebacks and bug sponsors".

quote:With that said, Sportsnet and TSN from here on in are only going to submit only 1 bid to FIFA for both World Cups and Euro competitions in the future sharing all of the rights.
That makes sense, I was going to ask why they don't just do it this way.

It will be interesting to see the partnership of TSN and Sportsnet. The 2006 WC will be a dry run of partnering. Remember TSN and Sportsnet will be showing the 2010 and 2012 Olympics.

It will be good to see Craig and Vic again doing broadcasts, although just for the 2006 WC. I think Craig and Vic make a slightly better tandum then Craig and Gerry.

Though mind you give Gerry for some credit. At least he in the past few years has improved as a soccer broadcaster then he did before.

It will be interesting to see the partnership of TSN and Sportsnet. The 2006 WC will be a dry run of partnering. Remember TSN and Sportsnet will be showing the 2010 and 2012 Olympics.

It will be good to see Craig and Vic again doing broadcasts, although just for the 2006 WC. I think Craig and Vic make a slightly better tandum then Craig and Gerry.

Though mind you give Gerry for some credit. At least he in the past few years has improved as a soccer broadcaster then he did before.

Did you see that article in the Globe and mail yesterday. The William Houston piece. That one brought a smile to my face in that it validated exactly what I had posted above. Namely that RSN were concerned of a backlash from soccer fans as a result of bumping the games due to baseball commitments.

It sounds like from your response that you are are quite familiar with the broadcasting business and practises and given taht I am not, I am not disputing your claims that ultimately it was all about $$$. But I still think that a precedent was there that had Rogers Sportsnet gone at it alone, there would have been some problems. I think that the writting was on the wall. I am refrerring to the kind of PR problems that CTV encountered with their first go at the Olympics in Barcelona and/or the PR problem that CBC faced with Curling last year.

Thanks for pointing out that article. Here it is.

Canadian rivals to share World Cup

WILLIAM HOUSTON

878 words

16 August 2005

The Globe and Mail

S5

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

CTV has grabbed the television rights to the final of the 2006 World Cup of soccer in a deal that will have Rogers Sportsnet and TSN sharing the remainder of the games.

Rogers outbid CTV's TSN for World Cup rights last November, but subsequently approached CTV-TSN about a partnership.

CTV's live coverage of the final will be a bonus for fans because the broadcast will be available free and over-the-air.

What's more, the Rogers/CTV-TSN alliance will mark the first time in Canadian television that all 64 World Cup games will be carried live.

“From a fans point of view, it's the most fan-friendly schedule ever,” TSN president Phil King said.

“Every game will be live. There will be lots of repeats, lots of preview shows and we'll have two news operations over in Germany to feed reports.”

The partnership of erstwhile rivals, TSN and Sportsnet, is a relationship that, remarkably, will include sharing the same anchor and studio panel as well as news teams.

You'll be seeing more of this. CTV-TSN and Sportsnet will join forces to share coverage of the 2010 and 2012 Olympics.

For the World Cup, TSN and Sportsnet will likely alternate the live and taped broadcasts. For example, when Sportsnet airs a live telecast in the morning or afternoon, TSN will get the prime-time replay. And vice-versa.

The World Cup deal is a 50-50 relationship, with CTV-TSN and Sportsnet sharing equally the costs, revenue and profit. It's believed Sportsnet paid about $4-million for the rights last November.

King said the World Cup has become too popular and big to be limited to one network.

“Airing 64 games in 30 days, plus keeping your other programming intact, is difficult,” he said.

During June and July of 2006, Sportsnet will be heavily committed to Toronto Blue Jays baseball games. TSN will have a full schedule of Canadian Football League telecasts.

“The problem is the World Cup games are so popular in the afternoon, you've got to repeat them at night or the fans get angry,” King said.

“It's kind of like the Olympics. People demand things. Its not like, ‘Well, we aired the game at 8 a.m. If you didn't catch it, too bad for you.' They want to have a chance to see it and we need to maximize revenue.”

By bringing in CTV and TSN, Sportsnet will maximize revenue, because the partnership will produce more telecasts and larger audiences.

Archived