Wigan Athletic Fairy Tale Comes to Fruition

Ashton Gate

A decade ago Wigan were playing to crowds of 1500 at Springfield Park. Now they are hours away from hosting Chelsea with a 24,000 sell out crowd in the Premiership. Furthermore, having just sold ex-Bristol Rovers man Nathan Ellington to WBA for 3 million pounds, they have money to come looking for Ian Hume at 1 million pounds. Lets hope Hume can fuel the fairy tale still further in the coming months!

And a pretty damned impressive christening at that. Thought Chelsea looked like they were someplace else most of the match, though. Or really hung-over. Whichever. But all in all a very nice showing by the Latics. Some real professional organization on the pitch at times. Good to see.

Wonderful left foot strike by Crespo. He juuust got outside of it. Pure heart brake for the Wigan supports. Especially as I thought them unlucky not to be ahead by that point.

And a pretty damned impressive christening at that. Thought Chelsea looked like they were someplace else most of the match, though. Or really hung-over. Whichever. But all in all a very nice showing by the Latics. Some real professional organization on the pitch at times. Good to see.

Wonderful left foot strike by Crespo. He juuust got outside of it. Pure heart brake for the Wigan supports. Especially as I thought them unlucky not to be ahead by that point.

As much as I wanted Wigan to win, I couldn't help smile and think 'Hume will get time with this team' as Johannsson missed those chances, especially the final one. Now we just need him to get transferred.

I thought the Score did a great job with the cast. The timing of their cut aways was spot on and they didn't do anything flashy, but it was a nice presentation. I'm looking forward to them getting more of this kind of programming (ESPN college football game day! :) )

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I thought the Score did a great job with the cast. The timing of their cut aways was spot on and they didn't do anything flashy, but it was a nice presentation. I'm looking forward to them getting more of this kind of programming (ESPN college football game day! :) )

I have to agree....at least they were not cutting away from the game to show commericals...they were actually giving us some useful information in the updates and the boxes were big enough not to miss anything live.

How funny is Budd....did you hear his comment when dealing with the ticker, which will not go away for any of their broadcasts (similar to ESPN2)?? "Get a bigger TV and put tape over the ticker!" Funny!

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Why don't they just delay holding off on posting all the scores until the games are finished, or finished being broadcast here? They had to know Fox was showing the Arsenal-Newcastle match, but they still posted the score. Is it really so difficult?

/Budd is a twit.

You have to watch the games in the order in which they're played. If the Arsenal-Newcastle match was played at the same time as Wigan-Chelsea you would have a legitimate beef. But as it was, you should have taped the match in Wigan and watched the Arsenal game first.

quote:You have to watch the games in the order in which they're played. If the Arsenal-Newcastle match was played at the same time as Wigan-Chelsea you would have a legitimate beef. But as it was, you should have taped the match in Wigan and watched the Arsenal game first.

You want to bring your VCR to the pub, then? I'm sure they'd love you dragging it in and asking them to hook it up to one of the TVs and then telling the Chlesea and Wigan fans that they'll have to wait...

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

You want to bring your VCR to the pub, then? I'm sure they'd love you dragging it in and asking them to hook it up to one of the TVs and then telling the Chlesea and Wigan fans that they'll have to wait...

Well, I didn't know you were watching at a pub. In that case, the thing you should have done is get the pub to tape the Chelsea match, show-up to the pub at 1:00p to watch Arsenal and then watch the taped Chelsea match at 3:00p. [:P] Actually that's exactly what I did yesterday since I was too lazy to wake-up in time to see Arsenal LIVE. schla01.gif

Archived