Atiba to Chelsea?

Rumour time..Just saw this on Planetfootball and thought it may be of interest...

Arnesen scouts duo

Chelsea new man Frank Arnesen was spotted watching Helsingborg's 2-0 defeat to IFK Gothenborg.

The former Tottenham director of football will plan ways of spending Roman Abramovich's millions by recommending targets to Blues boss Jose Mourinho.

Although IFK were victorious at Olympia, it is rumoured that two of Helsingborg's stars were the focus of his attention.

Canada international Atiba Hutchinson and defender Andreas Granqvist are the players in question.

Tall midfielder Hutchinson, 22, has scored four goals in 16 games this term and is a key man following his arrival from Osters.

6ft 4ins Granqvist is only 20 but is already a regular at the heart of the Helsingborg defence.

"Chelsea would be the perfect club," said defensive anchor Hutchinson in Sportbladet after the game.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=297855&lid=2&cpid=8&title=Arnesen+scouts+duo&channel=football_home

I was thinking the same thing (as bettermirror).

Other than the prestige and salary that would come with such a move, I am worried that he would simply become a bench/reserve player, a la Jim Brennan (at Norwich).

From a developmental point of view, I wonder if Atiba would get a better introduction to English soccer, playing more regularly for a Championship-level team instead (like the opportunity Simpson and Serioux got at Millwall last season)?

Other than the prestige and salary that would come with such a move, I am worried that he would simply become a bench/reserve player, a la Jim Brennan (at Norwich).

From a developmental point of view, I wonder if Atiba would get a better introduction to English soccer, playing more regularly for a Championship-level team instead (like the opportunity Simpson and Serioux got at Millwall last season)?

On the other hand, Chelsea likes to buy more players than they need and loan out the younger ones to other clubs, including other Premiership sides, for seasoning. I see nothing wrong with Atiba signing for Chelsea and spending a season or two loaned out until he's ready for prime time with the big club. The mere fact that Chelsea thinks Atiba is worthy of maybe sitting on their bench is a huge compliment and shows what a quality player Atiba is developing into.

I think Atiba would do great at a newly promoted team, such as Wigan or Sunderland, where if they don't stay up, but he's one of the teams better players, that he'll make a name for himself, thus getting picked up by a Newcastle or Everton the following season.

I agree with bettermirror and David, in the fact that Atiba will get lost in all the limelight at Chelsea, and probably become a reserve player. But like you guys said, it's great that he's getting scouted by the best Premiership team, which will lead other English teams to show interest.

Also, like David said, I also think even a Championship-level team would be great. A stronger one perhaps, such as Leeds, where he can be one of the better players and bring them to the Premiership... which would also make a name for himself.

It's all about making a name for yourself in this game. You could be the best player in the top league in Iceland, where you have the potential to play in the Premiership... but nobody's gonna know who you are if you don't try to make a name for yourself and progress.

Chelsea, obviously, scout scores of pros every year, but it is fun to speculate.

I think Hutchinson has come on considerably over the last year or two, he seems better every time I see him play. I think that he would benefit from a year of training with Chelsea and competing for a spot. I think the value of actually competing day in and day out to play is often undervalued.

Hutchinson has also been monitored by Birmingham City:

Birmingham web site:

Canadian midfielder Atiba Hutchinson (left) was last night watched by chief scout Bernard Paintain. The 22-year-old made his 50th appearance for Swedish club Helsingborgs in their 1-0 defeat against Malmo.

An international, Hutchinson has gone public about Blues' interest and said he was flattered that they wanted to sign him.

But his comments were somewhat premature as although Blues have been alerted to his capabilities, no bid has been lodged.

quote:Originally posted by David C.

I understand your trepidation, and you might be right, but I don't think Jimmy is half the player Hutch is on the way to becoming. And Atiba is a good 4 or 5 years younger than Brennan, isn't he? (Or is that 6 or 7 years?)

Hutch is the best prospect we have in the works by far. Hell, to even call him a "prospect" now seems a little silly.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I understand your trepidation, and you might be right, but I don't think Jimmy is half the player Hutch is on the way to becoming. And Atiba is a good 4 or 5 years younger than Brennan, isn't he? (Or is that 6 or 7 years?)

Hutch is the best prospect we have in the works by far. Hell, to even call him a "prospect" now seems a little silly.

Echo that.

I sooooo want him in the Prem. To Hell with the 1st, his quality will be lost down there. His development will stall down there as sure as it will at Helsingborg. He's ready for the Prem. Part timing or no.

Damn, this is one cool topic.

(Ian, QUIT TRANMERE! MOVE IT LADDIE!)

I don't now about miles, but I think Hutch's brain and style are more wired for the Prem. than the admittedly energetic, but less pretty 1st. A little more art to go with the energy, that's Hutch.

I honestly feel that he'll step up his game (a-gin) if challenged. I think he could evole into a great "raider" on a lot of teams. Seriously.

Not Chelsea odviously, but Birmingham? Or maybe Man. City? It's not as though he has to play 30 matchs a year. I'd call 20 a roaring success.

P.S. Yeah, good one DJT. But odvously the man's on the radar screen of some knowledgeable people. That's a pretty flattering comment.

I know what some of you are saying with regards to him being low on the depth chart at Chelsea, but let's look for a sec. at Paul Stalteri's situation at Bremen. He still continued to develope even though he wasn't on the first team.

I think Chelsea would be a fantastic opportunity for him and he should jump at it. Chelsea's reserve team most likely has a bigger budget than Hutchinson's current team.

i think the prem is definitly not a stretch for him, tho i dont think chelsea would be the best bet. He would likely have toruble gettin on the bench there. a team like birmingham or man city would be great. I believe that going to the championship right now from sweden would but an improvemnt but i also believe that he could definitly do better than that!

You're a naysayer LoudMouth!

Attiba's not far behind the players Chelsea wanted to buy this summer, Essien and Diarra.

He's got the same lean physique as Diarra and if you've ever seen him play, very similar in style.

I believe he's not that far from being ready.

I'm gonna guess that you don't because...no Canadian could ever be that good.

Am I wrong?

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

First of all, he's not signed at Chelsea yet.

Secondly, Hutch will work his way to the top wherever he is.

Thirdly, it's his decision, so we can all stop pretending to be his agent and be happy that his career is taking off.

I think we know that. We're just having a little fun with this I mean it's not too often a club like Chelsea shows interest in one of our players.

Yes, you're wrong, canso.

I don't believe Chelsea would play him because they are too worried about stocking their team with star players and names form the 'big' nations.

I do believe a Canadian can make it. I've cheered my heart out for them to make it. I just don't see him getting past Essien (deal's back on), Lampard, Makalele, Geremi, Tiago, Jarosik, and anyone else they feel like buying for centre midfield. He has a greater chance of making it at City or Birmingham.

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

I think we know that. We're just having a little fun with this I mean it's not too often a club like Chelsea shows interest in one of our players.

True, although its starting to happen more often. This is the second time in the past year that a player of ours has caught their eye - Jamie Peters being the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Helsingborgs' Canadian midfielder Atiba Hutchinson is ready to reject a move this summer in order to accrue further experience in Sweden.

The 22-year-old has proved a real find for Helsingborgs and has caught the eye of a clutch of clubs including Chelsea and Celtic.

Hutchinson is aware of the transfer talk, but says he is only interested in furthering his education with Helsingborgs.

"I will stay for one more year at least," declared Hutchinson.

Bhoys chief Gordon Strachan made the trip to Sweden recently to take in Helsingborgs' clash with Landskrona BoIS, with defender Andreas Granqvist believed to have caught his eye.

Archived