CPSL Week 13 [R]

Result of the Friday August 5th, 2005 CPSL game between Vaughan Shooters and North York Astros played at Maple Community Centre in Maple at 8:00pm.

39 min...Shooters Stuart Black GOAL...Black one-touches ball through two defenders from 10 yards into left corner of net over goalie Sherwin Ramsey. Black was set up by a short cross from right that sent him in.

55 min...Astros goalie Sherwin Ramsey slides out to cut down VS Sean Humphrey in box on left. Both players are injured in box. The goalie was treated and limped halfway off the field then collapsed again. This may have been to let substitute goalie Arthur Zaslavski time to warm up. Referee Vito Curalli had called a Penalty Kick.

59 min (when play recommences)...Shooters Darryl Gomez GOAL...Gomez stutter steps on his run up to a Penalty Kick then aims shot to left corner of net leaving Astros goalie Arthur Zaslavki crumpled in the middle of the net.

Final Score:........Vaughan Shooters.............2...............North York Astros..............0............

Attendance was about 125 on this hot evening with the temperature dropping quickly and made me glad I had a windbreaker to put on by the second half.

Brian Bowes earned the shutout for the Shooters without being kept too busy. The Astros best flourish came injury time where they had a free kick and three corner kicks in the last four minutes keeping the pressure on the Shooters. Astros for most of the game played a 4-5-1 with only Joseph Feijoo up front. The Shooters strikers were Frankie Bruno and Sean Humphrey. The game was very even in the first half. Shooters defenders Raj Takhar, Chris Turner, Angelo Pollastrone and Justin Phillips blocked most of the Astros shots and prevented rebounds while Andres Hidalgo, Pablo Polito, Kurt Ramsey and Lee O'Connell did the same for the Astros. Referee Vito Curalli kept the game under control and only gave out one other Yellow card besides the one that set up the Penalty kick.

I'd never been to the field of the Maple Community Centre before. I was five minutes from driving to the scheduled venue of Markham Mount Joy but decided to check the Vaughan Shooters website. I asked why the game location had been changed and Shooters owner Tony DeThomasis said the city of Markham didn't get back to them and they had to change venues on short notice (i.e. Tuesday). It would have been good if the CPSL website had been updated but what can we expect when Toronto Supra games for the rest of the year are listed at Centennial Stadium even after an announcement said the Supra would pay in Brockton Stadium for the rest of their schedule? That announcement was made two months ago. I was surprised that anyone was there but lots of families and kids that I'd never seen before.

The field is sloped and surrounded by a schoolyard type fence about seven feet tall. The fans in the low bleachers are actually outside the fence area as is where they set up the announcer's booth. There really was no way for the team to sell tickets for the game. The fence was distracting and cut down on some of the detail watching the players especially on corner kicks.

The two teams meet again on Sunday but this time at Astros home field at Esther Shiner Stadium.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Result of the Sunday August 7th, 2005 CPSL game between Oakville Blue Devils and London City played at Bronte Stadium in Oakville at 6:00pm.

28 min...Blue Devils Phil Ionadi GOAL...Ionadi receives pass from 35 yards from right by OBD Lovemore Ncube and one touches mid air shot from 12 yards on left to top right corner of net.

36 min...City Abukari Adams GOAL...City Karim Bensari shot from 10 yards has goalie Sa Brahima Traore block and Adams on left recovers ball and cuts in an 8 yard shot at a tough angle into short left side of net past defender.

37 min...City Abukari Adams GOAL...City Karim Bensari rush through middle and goalie blocks 10 yarder, Bensari gets roller that hits sliding defender's hand but Adams is right there to shoot 3 yarder into open net.

61 min...Blue Devils Marko Bendenikovich GOAL...Bendenikovich blasts 35 yard shot after receiving pass on throw-in from left and the ball takes a bounce over diving goalie Ibrahim Hadzic into right corner of net. There was no screening on the shot.

91 min...City RED card...Erik Elmauer receives Red card directly from referee Michael Lambert for head butting a Blue Devil player from behind in the Blue Devil end of the field.

Final Score:............Oakville Blue Devils...........2...........London City...........2...........

Attendance was about 120 on this extremely hot and humid early evening.

Blue Devils coach Duncan Wilde said before the game that he was worried that his team was going to have to do without central defenders Aaron Steele and Kevin Ricketts who are both out with injuries. City certainly took advantage of this as they had many runs straight up the middle and goalie Sa Brahima Traore (formerly of CPSL Ottawa Wizards) had to come off his line quite often to smother through balls. He would quickly recover a cross or make a save and often throw or kick the ball up field to start a fast break for his team. Another former Wizards goalie, Richard Goddard does the same for the USL Toronto Lynx.

City's Shawn Ord was the throw-in king with anything within 25 yards of the end lines being thrown directly into the box. Paul O'Hare did the same and took most of the second half corner kicks too. City brought in a more 'aggressive' forward combo for the last 10 to 15 minutes and it almost paid off with Keith Andrew and Erik Elmauer getting to some balls by muscling off some players. Andrew bashed into the Blue Devils goalie while the goalie leaped for a ball and understandably that play was whistled down. Elmauer 'The Hammer' was sent off directly for a head butt the referee confirmed. One of the assistants said 'it was the third time he tried it'.

City goalie Ibrahim Hadzic was complaining that he couldn't see the ball in the first half when the sun was almost behind him. He wore a set of goggle glasses and they kept steaming up. The tying goal was one that he just should have saved but he dived for it and it bounced over him probably hitting a bald patch and deflecting too high but you've just got to make those kinds of saves from 35 yards to survive.

The field was not in very good shape with bald patches of dust in several places. In the north end both the goaltenders were called for handling the ball outside the box but only free kicks were given. Neither the football lines nor the soccer lines were particularly bright.

I'd never been here before. The 'stadium' is really just a clubhouse/washrooms/snack bar and Blue Devils Duncan Wilde says seating for 500 on bleachers on either side of the brick clubhouse. The park is in the isolated south part of the city near Lake Ontario, much the same as when they played at Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough (Toronto) when they were known as Metro Lions. Attendance wasn't much better either. The club would be ready to jump if a stadium gets built in the north of Oakville for the 2007 Under 20 World Cup. The club plays most of its game Thursday nights and I plan on being here when the team moves their games an hour later from the middle of this month.

This marks the second time this year I've seen both teams but it's been more than two months for Oakville June 5th and June 12th for London. I've now watched every team at least twice this year except Laval whom I haven't seen at all. Three more Sunday's of conflicts with USL Toronto Lynx games then I should be able to take in more CPSL action.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

Archived