The Soccer Net Approved- Gol TV Canada Coming Soon

GRE004

A new soccer channel may be coming as today the CRTC approved The Soccer Net. I am not sure what they will show or if they will even launch but its interesting to note that FSWC did not file an intervention against this application. I am not sure what this means but since most of their schedule is soccer wouldn't they care about a potential competitor coming on board??

Here is the release:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2005/db2005-380.htm

Wow, you could have fooled me and a lot of other fans with this statement from Rogers as an Intervener:

=====

The Commission received an intervention in opposition to this application by Rogers Media Inc., on behalf of Rogers SportsNet Inc. (Rogers), the licensee of the specialty programming undertaking known as SportsNet. In its intervention, Rogers stated that soccer programming is an important part of SportsNet’s programming mandate. The intervener added that, not only does SportsNet focus on the carriage of the very best in international soccer, but it has also dedicated significant resources to cover Canadian matches. Rogers indicated that the revenues generated from international soccer allow it to provide viewers with the very best in Canadian soccer. It contended that Canadian viewers already have access to vast amounts of international soccer.

=====

I call bull. If the CRTC and Insight Media want people to testify against Rogers, they should spend a day on here.

That link that was posted seems to say that The Soccer Net did indeed get their license, despite Rogers/SportsNet's intervention.

Or am I reading it wrong?

EDIT: Maybe I should actually read the title of the thread a little closer...

Here's an interesting twist,

I called Insight Sports to find out a little more about this channel and I was told they plan to launch in October. But here is the twist-

The Soccer Net is actually...

Gol TV Canada!?!

Apparently this channel will be a Canadian version of Gol TV. The person I spoke with said they will be carrying Italian, Spanish and other leagues. If they can get the rights they will show Champions League and UEFA cup games. Seeing as how they have a partnership with TSN, I think they may be able to show some Champions league matches. They have a website up already, basically they have pretty much the same stuff as Gol TV in the USA as well as coverage of the Canadian National Teams (what about Sportsnet?). Two questions I have:

1- How can they show Serie A when TLN has the rights to it?

2- Who here is interested in watching matches from Ecuador, Uruguay, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc.?? Is there enough fan support for these leagues?

Finally some good soccer coverage, unfortunately no German Bundesliga but if FSWC goes under then maybe they can get the rights. I am happy to see Spanish Primera in the lineup, Sportsnet has done an awful job broadcasting it and now we get to see more matches.

My beef so far is the October launch date, by then most if not all leagues have already started play but what can you do?!

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.goltvcanada.com

quote:Originally posted by GRE004

They have a website up already, basically they have pretty much the same stuff as Gol TV in the USA as well as coverage of the Canadian National Teams (what about Sportsnet?).

From the website:

"GolTV will forge a solid relationship with Canadian viewers by also providing significant television exposure to the Canadian soccer experience. Working in association with the Canadian Soccer Association, GolTV Canada will provide viewers with up to date coverage of Canada’s World Cup Teams, Coaching & Instructional Programming, Junior Soccer features and promotion of the 2007 World Youth Championships.

Does this mean they will be supplanting Sportsnet then?

Is there some kind of Canadian content quota on this new channel? I have to wonder if 99% of their coverage will be directed to the major European and South American leagues as we know Canadian teams don't play that often. Would there be coverage of Canada's USL teams, because that would cost more money as opposed to simply buying broadcast rights from abroad.

Most of these specialty digital channels have to show I believe about 1-2 hours a day of Canadian programming. Doesn't mean games.

As Fox Sports Canada, they will probably put together some crappy news show and just show highlights for 30 min. and then repeat as necessary.

Great news...and an interesting turn of events. This is not the first time Gol Tv attempted to get a licence in Canada. It tried last year but it was successfully stopped by Fox Sportsworld Canada. The difference this time around may be the fact that there's Canadian content in the ownership.

Whatever the case, more soccer on TV is always a good thing. At the very least it may put a little fire under the butt of FSWC which, in my opinion, has decreased in quality over the past couple of years.

Thanks for the tip, GRE004.

This is fantastic news. I remember last year GOL TV tried to get a spanish television licence from the CRTC and failed. But the second time around worked, thanks to some tinkering. I am really glad and excited about this.

This will definately give FSWC some much needed competition. FSWC is still pretty good, but definately has dcelined somewhat. It isnt as good as when it debuted 4 years ago, I think into large part the fact that they show too much Aussie Rules football. But anyways, with the developments in the past decade with Sportsnet, FSWC and now Gol TV Canada coming in October, I say the availiability of televised soccer has dramatically improved over the past ten years. I will take the situation we have now, compared to back in 1995 ( I wasnt a soccer fan back in 1995 but I do recall there was hardly any soccer on television back in 1995, which would have been bad if I was a soccer fan back in 1995)

Here is hoping Shaw Cable in Winnipeg picks this channel up in October. I am going to write to them and hopefully they will hear loud and clear that Winnipeggers want this new exciting channel.

On the topic of Gol TV showing Latin American soccer, I am definately up for watching the leagues from Uruguay, Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil.

Cant wait.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

They dedicate approximately 4-6 hours per week to Aussie Rules... usually a two hour block late Friday-early Saturday, and repeats Saturday afternoon. Any more than that would be overkill.

What I could do away with would be the old replays of games past. Imagine to my surprise when last Sunday they had Lyon-Le Mans (in an outstanding game by Le Mans and Carew is a BEAST!) to kick off the french league.

If you killed off the replays of EPL, you'd likely free up 10 hrs a week. And kill off Out Of Bounds... the show annoys the hell out of me.

If GolTV can offer something different than what the others offer without overlapping or 'tape delays', then I can't wait to have that on my remote.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

And kill off Out Of Bounds... the show annoys the hell out of me.

Wow that show is so annoying and not funny at all. But that is their Canadian content they have to do. GOL TV will have do something similar.

Maybe a Voyageurs show? Yeah, imagine all the lively debate as seen on this forum, top notch topics including MLS begging to expand to Flin Flon (after they find Canada on a map), the USSF conspiring to kill soccer in the Yukon (after they find Canada on a map), among many other interesting topics.

Or maybe a Canadian soccer reality show such as, Fantasy Island (where the new stadium will be built in Toronto), Survivor CSA (Voyageurs pick one CSA employee a week for a public hanging at UofT)....that's enough stupidity for now.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

On the topic of Gol TV showing Latin American soccer, I am definately up for watching the leagues from Uruguay, Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil.

More footie the better, but I have trouble seeing how they'll survive showing footie from S.A.

There's like a total of 16 South Americans living in Canada. 699.gif

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I realize the general unliklihood, but what CanCon could GolTV offer? Broadcasting all the USL matches involving Canadian teams? CPSL/PSCL 'game of the month' type coverage (I know, the weekly thing would seem all to unlikely). Grabbing community cable broadcasts of AMSL matches? Showing all the Norweigian and Swedish league games?

Out of Bounds is a truly bad show, but they could and should do something else like a soccer round table or whatnot. Perhaps enough reporters and ex-pros that they could do enough commentary on the game and offer perspective to make it compelling enough.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

More footie the better, but I have trouble seeing how they'll survive showing footie from S.A.

There's like a total of 16 South Americans living in Canada. 699.gif

16 South Americans...very funny.[xx(]

But you're right...why bother trying?

I watched some Copa Libertadores matches for the first time during the recently-completed tournament (thanks to BitTorrent) and they were fantastic. Not polished like the UEFA Champions League, but that's exactly what made them fantastic.

So if this channel happens (anything related to soccer in Canada is a big "if" until I actually see it) then they must carry the Copa Libertadores. I'll watch a few matches here and there from any league, but I'd follow this tournament from beginning to end.

As for Canadian content, it would probably come in the form of news and/or talk shows. I can't see that they would have the money to actually produce match broadcasts.

Since Rogers tried to block this channel, I wonder if they would carry it in their digital lineup?

Here is the Letter I wrote to Shaw Cable with regards to Gol TV Canada Yesterday.

Dear Shaw Cable Customer Service:

I would like to commend your excellent commitment to providing customers with the best options in digital televised entertainment at affordable pricing. Shaw should be commended for this.

I am also writing to you with regards to a new digital television channel that will be availiable to Canadians in the fourth quarter of 2005 called Gol TV Canada and if Shaw Cable in Winnipeg will be getting this new service.

Gol TV Canada is a new digital soccer channel that will show some of the finest soccer leagues from around the world. This includes Italian Serie A, Spain's La Liga, as well as leagues from Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay and Honduras to name a few. Soccer continues to be a fast growing sport in Canada.

According to the Canadian Soccer Assocation, there are over 825,200 registered players with the CSA playing soccer in this country. This makes soccer one of this countries most popular participation sports. Also there various large multi-cultural communities across Canada, especially Winnipeg with many Canadians of Portuguese, Italian and Spanish decent who love to follow their nation's soccer leagues every weekend.

I believe that Winnipeg soccer fans, like myself would love to see this new service provided by Shaw, when it debuts in Canada this October. If you need more Information, Gol TV Canada has it's own website up at www.goltvcanada.com . I thank you for your understanding on this issue and look forward to continue to rely on Shaw for it's outstanding television and internet service.

Sincerely

Adam Johnston

Winnipeg Manitoba

What do you guys think.. If you you like it please feel free to use this as a templete if you decide to write to your local cable company.

I'm not so much interested in their programmation neither but... they speak about national teams, collaboration with the CSA (maybe a live Cam on the building of the Toronto stadium... sorry, to easy), etc.

So, let's see what they'll offer and give them a chance to convince us :)

Digital.

quote:Originally posted by GRE004

1- How can they show Serie A when TLN has the rights to it?

I doubt TLN has bought the rights to the entire league. They probably just purchase the rights to the specific feed, like I believe they show the games from a British channel, so they just purchase that. Other games should still be availble for GOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an e-mail to GolTV Canada asking which service providers (Bell ExpressVU, Videotron, Rogers, etc) will be offering GOLTV Canada. They responding very quickly by saying that they're in the final stages of finalyzing the "carriage providers". GolTV Canada encouraged me to contact my service provider and let them know that I'm interested in the channel.......the more people that tell there service provider that they're interested in the GOLTV Canada, the better the chance of getting it by your service provider.

Let your service provider know that you're interested in GOLTV.

I've been waiting for GOLTV Canada for a while.

Cheers,

PA

I sent an e-mail to GolTV Canada asking which service providers (Bell ExpressVU, Videotron, Rogers, etc) will be offering GOLTV Canada. They responding very quickly by saying that they're in the final stages of finalyzing the "carriage providers". GolTV Canada encouraged me to contact my service provider and let them know that I'm interested in the channel.......the more people that tell there service provider that they're interested in the GOLTV Canada, the better the chance of getting it by your service provider.

Let your service provider know that you're interested in GOLTV.

I've been waiting for GOLTV Canada for a while.

Cheers,

PA

Archived