Canadian Players Need A Canadian League

L.T.

Re: CSA/CSL - and here I thought I believed in conspiracy theories.

Re: Regina/Winnipeg - yeah, their CFL teams sell more tickets than the Argos, but it's funny, those 2 cities are they only ones that complain about the salary cap. Why? Cause they don't have the local corporate support that is needed to afford the players. Edmonton is also a non-profit, but they have the corporate support that allows them to compete with the privately-owned clubs.

From a player development point of view, we all want our national team to win the World Cup. Yes, win the men's World Cup sometime in our lifetime. That won't happen with a Canadian league. Why? Cause to improve our talent, we need foreign players. You think many Brazilians are going to end up in Saskatchewan? Or in Toronto for that matter?

MLS has 12 teams but 300-million people. And yeah Honduras beat us, but they aren't going to win the World Cup any time soon.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cities- Funny how RealGooner unzips his pants over Edmonton when it showed that there is fan support in the city for soccer. This has been proven time after time and club after club in the city. Pinning all soccer hopes on a single MLS team is the real thinking in the past.

Geography- Only a barrier if you don't travel far distances.

Salaries- How many people have actually looked at what MLS pays it's players. No doubt that even the Lynx pay more to their players than what a good chunk of MLS players get.

Three MLS teams?- Let's be serious here. Kerfoot and Saputo aren't going to get dragged in MLS because Toronto might have a team. We would really only have one team by the next qualification rounds for the World Cup and that isn't going to do anything to help Canadian soccer.

Period.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

It doesn't matter how large the city, or the corporate support & sponsorship. If that was the case the Lynx wouldn't be consistently drawing flies despite the fact they have produced quality players and had quality teams over the years.

Sorry but I can't let this one pass by without comment. Producing quality players yes but largely for other teams (check out some of the other threads for a recent run down of the Lynx track record as Montreal's farm team), and they haven't had a "quality" team by any objective criteria in a long time, if ever. I've been a regular attendee of Lynx matches for 5 years now and haven't, and still won't after this year, seen a playoff match. I don't know too many people that would define that as "quality team" even by A-league standards (which is another issue to take into consideration).

Of course, the irony is that the Lynx with this ownership wouldn't do that much better at the gate with a winning team - few would hear about their success (partly due to the lack of $$$ the owners put into promoting the team, but also the weak media coverage), and not everyone that would hear about it would want to make the long trek to a dinky stadium in the middle of nowhere to watch soccer in a bush league facility.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So Winnipeg Fury, every time its the fault of the CSA? What about the CSL owners and investors who walked away from the venture?

Frankly I am happy that the CSA chose not to become embroiled in a commercial, professional league other than in its proper role as a national governing body for the sport. That is not an appropriate way for our national organisation to spend the revenues it derives from youth and senior player dues across the country and sponsors. It is definitely not appropriate for the CSA to assume the financial risks associated with such a venture.

To what extent was or is the US Soccer Federation directly involved with the USL or MLS in terms of financial liability/risk? Would Americans tolerate their national federation gambling with their money in such a manner?

"So Winnipeg Fury, every time its the fault of the CSA? What about the CSL owners and investors who walked away from the venture?" - Yes, 'every time' the CSL folded, it was the fault of the CSA. As stated above, they publicly surrendered Canada to the USL/APSL. The CSA publicly stated their desire for the APSL to takeover the CSL, and to facilitate the raid, made all professional contracts with the CSA void.

You don't think that the US Soccer Federation was involved in the planning and formation of MLS ? Of course they were ! That doesn't mean they own franchises, it means they assist in the development of a business plan that private industry will buy into. Unfortunetly, the CSA does not seem to have the required expertise to dream of such a venture.

Yet here we sit, year after year, dreaming about a single MLS club, with no domestic cup and no domestic league.

You can do all the planning you want until you are blue in face. But if investors with deep pocket aren't there or won't step up to the plate, it means squat. The fact that MLSE is willing to step up to the plate for MLS but not something like the CSL model should tell everything you need to know. MLSE and the teachers pension fund are concerned about $$$. If they thought that its a good investment to invest in the cSL or USL, then they would have stepped up to the plate at that time. But they didn't. Why? for the same reason that no one with any serious $$$ invested in the CSL.

The Lynx, as an organization, are a joke. They sell players to Scandinavia for 5,000$ while the Impact can turn around and get 200,000$ or 50,000$ from these same teams. Now which player is going to get a more serious look from their coaches and clubs? is it going to be the one whereby the club investted 5,000$ to purchase? or is it going to be the one whereby the team played 200,000$ or 50,000$.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The 'CSA model' ? And which model would that be ? Last time I checked, the CSA had never bothered to invest in a business model for a professional domestic league.

The CSA does not have the expertise to devise a modern business plan, nor the common sense to pay someone to do it for them.

The Americans had Rothenberg to devise a plan, and put the plan into action. What have we got ? Kevan Pipe is too busy ranting to the media about his imaginary 'Plan B' and making elite soccer in this country look like incompetant imbeciles.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Furthermore, you could argue that they are not completing the job of developing players because the are selling them too quickly and/or cant compensate adequately to ensure that players aren't in rush to leave. Hutchinson, for example, only stayed for only a few games.

With the initial ownership Lynx structure, things were different. But since the investors pulled out after being forced to leave Varsity, things got worst.

But the Lynx draw damn good attendances! They consistantly get 2K to 2.5K in a facility that might not hold 3K. The stands look 75-80% (Give or take) full on most games. How can you say that that is bad considering :

1) the crappy facility.

2) the location that is in the middle of nowhere and practically inaccessible for those who don't have cars.

3) The poor performances year in year out.

4) The little capital investment that flows into the club

5) the tiny ( or non existant)staff level .

6) lack of Publicity

7) no media coverage. I missed one game this year because I didn't know that it was on on Saturday rather than Sunday. There is nothing in the media. I didn't have a computer at my disposal to chech their website or the USL to see their schedule so I missed the game.

They draw better than St Mike and probably better or comparable to other minor pro or junior clubs in town . The Maple leafs of the county baseball league get tons of more publicity yet they draw far fewer fans than the Lynx. What more do you want for a minor pro sports team like the Lynx under the above mentioned circumstanses?

I say that that is damn GOOD attendancewise. Don't forget that in this market you have to compete for media attention and sponsorship dollars with:

1) Three junior Hockey teams

2) one AHL team

3) One NBA team

4) one MLB team

5) one NHL team

6) One CFL team

7) one pro-Lacrosse team

and I am sure that I have missed some. We lost two USL teams in canada who don't have anywhere near that kind of competition and drew far less fans under much more ideal circumstances. So why constantly pick on Toronto regarding attendances.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Re: CSA/CSL - and here I thought I believed in conspiracy theories.

Re: Regina/Winnipeg - yeah, their CFL teams sell more tickets than the Argos, but it's funny, those 2 cities are they only ones that complain about the salary cap. Why? Cause they don't have the local corporate support that is needed to afford the players. Edmonton is also a non-profit, but they have the corporate support that allows them to compete with the privately-owned clubs.

On this Elias, you have no idea what-so-ever.

And I don't know what the laws are like regarding not-for-profit organizations in Alberta but I'll definately tell you here in Manitoba, no matter what corporate support you have, you are not going to play fast and loose outside of the league by-laws to which you're a entity member. You WILL loose your not-for-profit status and your directors WILL be personaly responsable for any depts incurred as a result there of. So do what you want in Alberta with "not-for-profit" organizations.

The Winnipeg Football Club is a community owned not-for-profit organization because A). It works. B). It always has been. And C). unless the club somehow went insanely bankrupt despite the built in safe guards, any one wishing to move the club into a private entity would be commiting social suicide with a public relations disaster.

So in the mean time, we are forced to play by the rules even though no one else is.

Just wanted to say my piece.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

And I don't know what the laws are like regarding not-for-profit organizations in Alberta but I'll definately tell you here in Manitoba, no matter what corporate support you have, you are not going to play fast and loose outside of the league by-laws to which you're a entity member. You WILL loose your not-for-profit status and your directors WILL be personaly responsable for any depts incurred as a result there of. So do what you want in Alberta with "not-for-profit" organizations.

The Winnipeg Football Club is a community owned not-for-profit organization because A). It works. B). It always has been. And C). unless the club somehow went insanely bankrupt despite the built in safe guards, any one wishing to move the club into a private entity would be commiting social suicide with a public relations disaster.

So in the mean time, we are forced to play by the rules even though no one else is.

Just wanted to say my piece.

Yes, and in terms of corporate support, the Aspers (Owners of Canwest Global, Winnipeg based and Canada's largest media company) sit on the Board of the Bombers, and could easily purchase the club if so desired.

L.T., Very good article. I found it very enjoyable indeed. It makes a very Strong case of the importance of creating a professional soccer league in Canada.

Now with regards to the last days of the CSL, I do recall even in my young ripe age of 12 in 1992 the Winnipeg Fury did win the last ever CSL championship. Oh the potential they had to build a dynasty. What a shame the CSL folded.

I am hoping in the near future Winnipeg Will get the chance to see some pro soccer. I am optimistic that it will be sooner then later.

An MLS with 3 Canadian teams is more of a pipe dream than a Canadian League, IMO. The USSF will never allow more than one Canadian MLS team - in Toronto, and Toronto only - unless the league can not survive without others in. Pretty much the last thing the USSF wants - given that the US has never been able to actually win the hex, ever - is a Canada with its soccer act together. Toronto? Sure, kills any chance of a Canadian League by taking the only media market in Canada that matters out of the equation, but teams in Vancouver and Montreal? I don't really think so.

Oh, and MLS is more beholden to the USSF than any other league inthe world is to their national federation so MLS dances to the USSF tune.

A Canadian league is something of a pipe dream right now as well, if the USL goes the way of the dodo as some have hinted, we may have two well heeled owners with stadiums, and teams without a league. This may be the kickstart a Canadian league needs.

As for Brazilinas not wanting to playing Saskatchewan, well there are Brazilian pros playing in every ****hole league in the world. Newsflash, Tony Menezes is in China because they, unlike his Brazilian team, are actually paying him. He'd be in Saskatoon in a flash if the chance arose.

However, the bottom line is that we need as many pro teams as we can muster, I am not so concerned about legaue quality right of the bat, because MLS sucked for the first 5 or 6 years of its esistence but improved every year. The biggest problem is trying to pick the winners and losers when players are 16 or 17, and we have better chances to develop the next Canadian star with 8 teams looking at and developing youth players than we do with 3 or 4.

Last point, purely selfish, I agree, but one that all the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver guys might be able to relate to if even hypothetically: I ain't in a position to travel 1500 mile to watch a flipping soccer game.

As much as I like conspiracy theories and think there are some pretty legitimate ones concerning the US, i.e. Bush and the Iraq war, I find it pretty hard to believe that the MLS interest in Canada is a USSF plot to limit Canada to one MLS team, destroy the chances for the high level Canadian league which apparently in their opinion will form in the near future and thus weaken our MNT. Even making the ludicrous assumption that the USSF had such a plan I can't see them being able to pull it off. The USSF may have a lot of pull with MLS but ultimately the guys ruling MLS are those who are funding it and at the moment losing their own money doing so. This league is not running on USSF funds. If MLS thinks teams in Vancouver and Montreal will be profitable and benefit the league they will accept them regardless of what the USSF says. I don't care how rich these investors are, if teams in Vancouver and Montreal will provide them with more money they are not going to give a **** about what some administrative body that is not putting its own funds into its venture is going to say. You are entitled to be against a Canadian MLS team but try and come up with a more convincing argument than this.

I personally would prefer a national league if there was someone willing to put the massive amount of funds needed to start a decent Canadian league. Since I really doubt there is the financial investors, domestic player pool, stadium facilities and fan support to establish such a league I think the MLS is the best current option. Having one or more MLS teams and possibly several more USL teams may over time create a situation where a successful national league could be founded. In my opinion the options are this in rank of preference:

1) Several MLS teams and hopefully several USL teams = 2 or 3 2nd division level teams and 2 or 3 3rd division level teams (in comparison with the tier structure of a country like Germany)

2) One MLS team and 2 or more USL teams = 1 2nd division level team and 2 or more 3rd division level teams (not as good as option one but still much better than the current situation (I am assuming the USSF does not have a conspiracy to ditch the USL because they think that will hurt us more than the US))

3) The current situation = 3 3rd division level teams

4) A Canadian league = 8 4th division level teams for at least a decade

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

An MLS with 3 Canadian teams is more of a pipe dream than a Canadian League, IMO. The USSF will never allow more than one Canadian MLS team - in Toronto, and Toronto only - unless the league can not survive without others in. Pretty much the last thing the USSF wants - given that the US has never been able to actually win the hex, ever - is a Canada with its soccer act together. Toronto? Sure, kills any chance of a Canadian League by taking the only media market in Canada that matters out of the equation, but teams in Vancouver and Montreal? I don't really think so.

Oh, and MLS is more beholden to the USSF than any other league inthe world is to their national federation so MLS dances to the USSF tune.

A Canadian league is something of a pipe dream right now as well, if the USL goes the way of the dodo as some have hinted, we may have two well heeled owners with stadiums, and teams without a league. This may be the kickstart a Canadian league needs.

As for Brazilinas not wanting to playing Saskatchewan, well there are Brazilian pros playing in every ****hole league in the world. Newsflash, Tony Menezes is in China because they, unlike his Brazilian team, are actually paying him. He'd be in Saskatoon in a flash if the chance arose.

However, the bottom line is that we need as many pro teams as we can muster, I am not so concerned about legaue quality right of the bat, because MLS sucked for the first 5 or 6 years of its esistence but improved every year. The biggest problem is trying to pick the winners and losers when players are 16 or 17, and we have better chances to develop the next Canadian star with 8 teams looking at and developing youth players than we do with 3 or 4.

Last point, purely selfish, I agree, but one that all the Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver guys might be able to relate to if even hypothetically: I ain't in a position to travel 1500 mile to watch a flipping soccer game.

Your post is right on. A Canadian league is the only way to go. We had the CSL before, it can be done again. MSL is for the development of American players. We need our own league to develop Canadian players. This means a ten team league. not one team in MLS that no one across Canada will give a ****e about. Too many anti-canadian colonial minded people with an inferiority complex. We can't do this or that only the great god America is our salvation. lets all bow to the great god.

pathetic people. why don't you move to the states then you can have all the MLS you want.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Relax. :) I said they won't come to Toronto either. My point being that a CSL would attract foreigners that are two-three levels below what MLS would attract. Thus our lads would not improve as much.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

There is no need for such vulgar language. You do not need to include, "on this". :D

re: Blue Bombers

I'm sure there are people who can afford to purchase the club, but I doubt anybody thinks the club can break even, let alone produce a profit. If it loses money as a non-profit, with all the tax breaks, fundraising, etc. that can be done that private business can not, there's no hope of making money.

As for the cap, that is a CFL rule, not the law. So I really don't understand why that would affect the legal status of the club. It's like if the Catholic Church of Canada said each church can spend $100 000, but the Winnipeg church spent $150 000, you're telling me the Winnipeg church would lose it's non-profit status? Okay, that's a stupid example, but legally, it's pretty much the same situation.

Why would it be social suicide and a public relations disaster? If somebody came along and purchased the club, wiped out it's debts, looked into investing into a new stadium, and promised to invest in players, that would be frowned apon? Sure, it's a fantasy, but a disaster?

Well judging from the study the CSA commissioned a while back the CSA set out minimum criteria for a successful domestic league and the study concluded those criteria could not be met, modest as they were. The CSA then proceeded with Plan B which was the USL and ultimately the MLS if a willing investor could be rustled up. Methinks the CSA plan B might just be working.

Speaking of the Blue Bombers, how similar is their public ownership structure to the membership structure of many European soccer teams where supporters actually are the owners of the team and vote on major decisions?

LMW: this is no case of inferiority complex or worshipping the US. This is a case of trying to have a decent level league in a country with high travel expenses in a sport which at the professional level and as a spectator sport is still a fringe sport in this country. If I saw any evidence of investors willing to lose the massive amounts of money to it would take to build a decent league in the near future I would be all for it. I hope the CFL always remains a Canadian league. I think the Canadian teams should leave the NHL and form an all Canadian league (with teams in Winnipeg and Halifax) because I think we could support this and have both a good playing level and crowd support. I don't think we are anywhere near the conditions in soccer in this country that we have for hockey and football and that is why I think MLS is the best current option.

quote:Originally posted by LMW

Your post is right on. A Canadian league is the only way to go. We had the CSL before, it can be done again. MSL is for the development of American players. We need our own league to develop Canadian players. This means a ten team league. not one team in MLS that no one across Canada will give a ****e about.

Should it ever happen, I'd be very surprised if people across the country weren't more interested in one MLS team than in 10 "CSL" teams - never mind the fact the chances of the latter happening nowadays are almost non-existent. You'd think we wouldn't be having to make these comments a year after two Canadian A-league teams folded, but apparently not.

quote:

Too many anti-canadian colonial minded people with an inferiority complex.

Yes, you've hit the problem right on the head there. The people wanting to see the level of Canadian domestic pro soccer raised obviously are anti-Canadian. What would we do on this board if we didn't have you to point these things out to us?

We'll be mailing you your award for "worst post of the year" as soon as you send us your address.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Cities- Funny how RealGooner unzips his pants over Edmonton when it showed that there is fan support in the city for soccer. This has been proven time after time and club after club in the city. Pinning all soccer hopes on a single MLS team is the real thinking in the past.

Geography- Only a barrier if you don't travel far distances.

Salaries- How many people have actually looked at what MLS pays it's players. No doubt that even the Lynx pay more to their players than what a good chunk of MLS players get.

Three MLS teams?- Let's be serious here. Kerfoot and Saputo aren't going to get dragged in MLS because Toronto might have a team. We would really only have one team by the next qualification rounds for the World Cup and that isn't going to do anything to help Canadian soccer.

Period.

Umm, okay, then why is Edmonton's support being shown for successive team after team. The mark of a successfull soccer team and town is its longevity. If Edmonton loved soccer your teams wouldnt keep folding, wake up and smell the coffee.

Furthermore:

NO we're not pinning our hopes on 1 MLS franchise. It has been stated plainly on this thread that MLS is one easy strategy AMONG OTHERS that are to be employed together to help Canada improve.

No, the Lynx do not pay better than an MLS team. Really you are better than this.

Yes, we want 3 MLS teams. Leafs and Whitecaps both interested, thats 2 outta three want in so far. As for the next WC, who cares, we are looking long term here, the only way to plan to be better.

The pro MLS people have a plan backed by $ that can help Canada in the medium term, while the CSL Now types have only pipe dreams, fantasies, a bad track record and no plan of action to offer.

Many people in this forum have quite rightly been complimentary about Greg Kerfoot's efforts with the Whitecaps and his plans to build a superior SSS in Vancouver - using his own cash if necessary. I wonder why his five year plan then involves a move of his club into the MLS according to a recent public statement by Bob Lennarduzzi and not the creation of a domestic Canadian league. Must be a hard nosed business decision methinks, with the MLS being the lower risk option. Perhaps we should all take note. It was his business savvy that earned him his wealth, how many of us here who believe we know better can claim the same degree of business success? Professional sport is a business first and foremost.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

As much as I like conspiracy theories and think there are some pretty legitimate ones concerning the US, i.e. Bush and the Iraq war, I find it pretty hard to believe that the MLS interest in Canada is a USSF plot to limit Canada to one MLS team, destroy the chances for the high level Canadian league which apparently in their opinion will form in the near future and thus weaken our MNT. Even making the ludicrous assumption that the USSF had such a plan I can't see them being able to pull it off. The USSF may have a lot of pull with MLS but ultimately the guys ruling MLS are those who are funding it and at the moment losing their own money doing so. This league is not running on USSF funds. If MLS thinks teams in Vancouver and Montreal will be profitable and benefit the league they will accept them regardless of what the USSF says. I don't care how rich these investors are, if teams in Vancouver and Montreal will provide them with more money they are not going to give a **** about what some administrative body that is not putting its own funds into its venture is going to say. You are entitled to be against a Canadian MLS team but try and come up with a more convincing argument than this.

You are readng more into my arguement, apparently, than is there. I don't think it is a USSF conspiracy, I think they would be just as happy with no Canadian teams in MLS. But, as I said, I doubt we'll see more than one and that the USSF will see to that. I also think you underestimate the degree to which MLS is dependant upon the benevolance of the USSF, everything from running doubleheaders with MLS (which draw 50-60,000 fans to games that ordinarily see 12,000) to insisting that an MLS television contract be a condition of getting World Cup broadcast rights. This is a league that would be long dead if not for the support of the USSF.

Undoubtedly if the league was desperate for Vancouver and Montreal to survive, that would be a different matter, but then, is it to our advantage to have teams in an MLS desperate to survive.

In any event, I have long said that 3 MLS teams would be the most beneficial option in the absense of a Canadian league, I just don't think it is going to happen. If we end up with One MLS franchise - whether Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal - then I don't think we gain a thing of any value over what we have now other than the ability to have a cohesive B team. Ooh la la, hard to get excited about that.

quote:An MLS with 3 Canadian teams is more of a pipe dream than a Canadian League, IMO. The USSF will never allow more than one Canadian MLS team - in Toronto, and Toronto only - unless the league can not survive without others in. Pretty much the last thing the USSF wants - given that the US has never been able to actually win the hex, ever - is a Canada with its soccer act together. Toronto? Sure, kills any chance of a Canadian League by taking the only media market in Canada that matters out of the equation, but teams in Vancouver and Montreal? I don't really think so.

I don't think I am reading more than is there from your post. The above paragraph seems pretty strong in its conspiratorial claims to me. If this does not represent your viewpoint maybe you should revise this paragraph. My personal opinion is the MLS will do whatever is beneficial to its own interests (and not the interests of the USSF) and if this is also beneficial to our interests we should join them given that I don't see any evidence that a Canadian league is anywhere near starting up. I find it pretty hard to believe that the USSF would cancel MNT doubleheaders because the MLS has Canadian teams. The USSF which uses many MLS players for its national team and for player development is just as dependent if not moreso on MLS as vice versa. I doubt the state of Canadian soccer really concerns many USSF members, we are still quite a way from being a legitimate rival. The MLS will expand wherever they have a solid ownership and fanbase and if three Canadian cities can provide this and their owners can resolve the problems they have with league structure they will gain entry into the league.

I'm at the point where I clearly feel MLS is the future. I don't see how anyone can envision that a Canadian league will one day be stronger than MLS. It's like the Scottish league catching up to the EPL - not going to happen. Canada is not not a soccer loving or a sports centric nation where broadcast and sponsorship dollars are unlimited. MLS has steadily progressed in the last 10 years and the trend will continue. Canada will regret not jumping on the future MLS gravy train.

This whole USSF conspiracy theory is total trash. MLS will do what is in their best interest.

Let's just say there were 8 strong canadian teams - I rather see all 8 of those teams in MLS, than in a Canadian league. Unlike The Raptors or the Blue Jays, Canadian clubs will have to field a majority of Canadian players, so it won't be a case of Americans exploiting a Canadian market.

I'm at the point where I clearly feel MLS is the future. I don't see how anyone can envision that a Canadian league will one day be stronger than MLS. It's like the Scottish league catching up to the EPL - not going to happen. Canada is not not a soccer loving or a sports centric nation where broadcast and sponsorship dollars are unlimited. MLS has steadily progressed in the last 10 years and the trend will continue. Canada will regret not jumping on the future MLS gravy train.

This whole USSF conspiracy theory is total trash. MLS will do what is in their best interest.

Let's just say there were 8 strong canadian teams - I rather see all 8 of those teams in MLS, than in a Canadian league. Unlike The Raptors or the Blue Jays, Canadian clubs will have to field a majority of Canadian players, so it won't be a case of Americans exploiting a Canadian market.

Archived