USL's future expansion plans?

Hamilton did get a W-League team. I know these owners were not the same people looking into bringing a USL D1 team in a few years ago with the Thunder. They could possible bring in a PDL team.

I have played/talked to a few players that play or played for the Thunder. The owner does not seem to be true truthful with the players in regards to $$$ and I dont seem him and his managment been able to handle a USL D1 team.

There are other people that I do not know about that have talked to the USL D1 about a team in Hamilton. With MAC building a 6000 stadium ready by 2007 I think it would be a perfect fit.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Mathematically, they would have to go to a 30 game schedule (a team plays each of its 15 opponents twice).
That would be great, but they've never done that before. In 2004 there were 16 teams playing 28 games each.

quote:That would be great, but they've never done that before. In 2004 there were 16 teams playing 28 games each.

That's because they had divisions in 2004. With the new single-table format, they would have to make it 30 matches or each team would have to miss playing one of their opponents. That's not fair.

Interesting indeed to hear that the Miami area might be getting a team in the USL.

I am just curious what Canadian cities would be favourites to get an USL based on that interview recently on the radio, since they were not mentioned.

While I would love to see Winnipeg have a team for USL in 2006, that would be really highly unlikely. 2007 and beyond is more likely, but stranger things have happened.

There is currently no owners whatsover and Winnipeg doesnt have a good enough field now. But like I say for 2007 and beyond would be the best time, if at all. I hold my optimisim.

Interesting indeed to hear that the Miami area might be getting a team in the USL.

I am just curious what Canadian cities would be favourites to get an USL based on that interview recently on the radio, since they were not mentioned.

While I would love to see Winnipeg have a team for USL in 2006, that would be really highly unlikely. 2007 and beyond is more likely, but stranger things have happened.

There is currently no owners whatsover and Winnipeg doesnt have a good enough field now. But like I say for 2007 and beyond would be the best time, if at all. I hold my optimisim.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

That's because they had divisions in 2004. With the new single-table format, they would have to make it 30 matches or each team would have to miss playing one of their opponents. That's not fair.
My point is that there were divisions in 2004 because it wasn't feasible to have all the teams in a single group with a home-and-away schedule. There is a single table this season because it's what works best for these 12 teams, but you'd need an ideal situation (eg. ideal geographic distribution, which probably isn't possible as long as there are teams on both coasts) to have it work for 16 teams.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

Edmonton will be in the pdl in 2006 calgary may aslo join.

Last I heard was that Len Vickery, who is coach of U of A, wanted to put a team from Edmonton the PDL. He runs the Green and Gold soccer academy in Edmonton. The top of the Green and Gold pyramid is their AMSL club. I would expect that a PDL club would replace their AMSL entry.

I don't know if there has actually been any progress since the story was reported in the Edmonton Sun a while ago.

Jason

Archived