Short term thinking in Montreal (Saputo Stadium)

Seeing that the Saputo complex is going to have a capacity of 13,000 and be expandable to only 17,000, it seems as Montreal is taking a big gamble.

MLS requires minimum capacity of 20,000, so Montreal would not be able to make the jump in the future unless it were to find another venue. With Toronto likely to get a MLS side and Rochester capable of making the jump as well - the Impact might find itseld as the only Northeastern club in the USL. That will put a big dent in their finances.

Has this been discussed by Impact supporters?

Those are two big ifs still (sorry, I'm still cautious for the moment about MLS in Toronto until we know that the stadium will get built), but yet I suppose it is conceivable.

If MLS needs 20,000 seats though, would it be that much of a problem for the wealthy Saputo family to add another 3000 seats to that facility?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If MLS needs 20,000 seats though, would it be that much of a problem for the wealthy Saputo family to add another 3000 seats to that facility?

Remember it's 13,000 and expandable to 17,000 (not expandable to 20,000). So they could add 4,000 to the 13,000, but I presume not 7,000 to 13,000 or else the press release would say expandable to 20,000:D

I am a bit confused about that too. The last gate for the Impact was at 12880. Thats almost 13000 already. So why 13K to 17K instead of say 15k to 20K. The obvigious answer that I can think of is $$$. But on the other hand, how much of a long term future does the USL have. Especially if a club like Roc jumps ship to the MLS. It just seems logical to me that Saputo should be keeping his options open and looking to ensure that he builds a facility that would be viable for MLS. Just in case.

It's 13500 expandable to 17000

13500 is "fix seating" : one main stand, two others as "general admission" (behind one goal and the second lateral)

So, behind the second goal, there's free space

The plan is to add temporary seats in order to bring the total capacity to 17000

But, if needed, a stand the can be built and they can put as many places as they want...

What is the MSL average attendance? I've seen a lot of 8-9K crowds. Are they really going to enforce this policy if the Impact can draw 17,000? I believe the new Reading stadium -which is not expandable- is in this capacity range. Get the supporters up close to a quality pitch and all will be forgiven.

As a side note, where's G-Man in this thread? :D:D

but, if the Impact come to MLS and sraw say 12,000 every game in a stadium for 13,000 isnt that still above the avg, attendance for the MLS? The need for a 20,000 seater is not really there? maybe 17,000?

when I look at games in KC or NY, and I see 80,000 seat stadiums with only 6,000-8,000 people it makes the MLS look less attractive. Isnt it better to have a jammed stadium thats a little smaller (much like the Al's in CFL) or a 25,000 seater with only 10,000 or so?

I notice that when Chivas play.

anyway just a confused thought

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

but, if the Impact come to MLS and sraw say 12,000 every game in a stadium for 13,000 isnt that still above the avg, attendance for the MLS? The need for a 20,000 seater is not really there? maybe 17,000?

when I look at games in KC or NY, and I see 80,000 seat stadiums with only 6,000-8,000 people it makes the MLS look less attractive. Isnt it better to have a jammed stadium thats a little smaller (much like the Al's in CFL) or a 25,000 seater with only 10,000 or so?

I notice that when Chivas play.

anyway just a confused thought

I totally understand your point, but I think MLS has drawn a line in the sand that it has to be over 20,000. I'm guessing part of the reason is to boost average attendance by some outlier attendance numbers like opening day and Canada day.

For example Chicago averages probably 10,000 a game, but a double header with USA vs. England which brought a 50,000 crowd increased their average a few thousand more. Now MLS does not want to be in NFL stadiums as it kills atmosphere, but they want the stadiums big enough to bring in decent AVERAGE attendance numbers.

I know it's really petty, but that's America for you.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Oops. It's looks good all the same. Read a rumour somewhere here that Kerfoot had a look at it for Vancouver.

Reading's stadium also has a second tennant: London Irish RUC

Here is something interesting from Garbers chat at MLSnet today:

Nicholas from Montreal

The Montreal Impact of the A-League is clearly becoming a major soccer franchise in canada with it's attendance being this year in the twelve thousands almost each game. We are beating all our records in attendances since a few years, our team has a solid ownership group in Saputo and we even have a brand new soccer specific stadium being built. I was wondering if MLS had ever considered Montreal as a possible expansion city for the years to come?

Commissioner Garber

We're very impressed and happy with the success Joe Saputo is having in Montreal and we believe it speaks to potential for the sport in Canada. However, at this point, our efforts have been focused in Toronto.

Archived