What does a team not called the Maple Leafs.......

argh1

Have to do......

I watched both sports channels at suppertime and the 1st 15 minutes were NHL.

The CFL got 5 minutes and the Jays got about the same. Now this is a team with a reasonable chance of making the wild-card for the 1st time in 10 years and the Argos won the Grey Cup last year.

Now besides bitchin' about coverage of these teams ......what chance does soccer have of gettin' some coverage if both RSN & TSN spend most of their shows covering or should I say protecting their franchise covering NHL.

I mean there are no magazine shows on either network for MLB or CFL but every breath spoken about the NHL is covered ad nauseum.

Don't get me wrong I am a hockey fan but.....c'mon there are other sports........have I mentioned L'Impact are undefeated [8D]

Just a view point [}:)]

These channels see the NHL as a money machine for them in Canada, which it probably has been. On the other hand coverage of soccer, especially the domestic game, is seen as a favour to the sport. Commercial TV (and radio) is all about profit.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Have to do......

I watched both sports channels at suppertime and the 1st 15 minutes were NHL.

The CFL got 5 minutes and the Jays got about the same. Now this is a team with a reasonable chance of making the wild-card for the 1st time in 10 years and the Argos won the Grey Cup last year.

Now besides bitchin' about coverage of these teams ......what chance does soccer have of gettin' some coverage if both RSN & TSN spend most of their shows covering or should I say protecting their franchise covering NHL.

I mean there are no magazine shows on either network for MLB or CFL but every breath spoken about the NHL is covered ad nauseum.

Don't get me wrong I am a hockey fan but.....c'mon there are other sports........have I mentioned L'Impact are undefeated [8D]

Just a view point [}:)]

Unfortunately. all true. Makes one almost wish that the strike would not have ended.

The sad part is, when all-sports chanells first arrived on the lanscape, everyone thought that it would mean coverage of more sports and different stories. At least thats what many were led to believe. Instaed what has happened is more coverage of the same stories ( ie.: More hockey). They have managed to make a big deal and create interest over the most trival non-game related events.

Clearly the sports networks and sports journalists and their advertisers still think it is or they wouldn't be devoting such a disproportionate amount of their airtime to NHL affairs. The league itself may not be all that profitable but that's not the point here.

The past couple of days have been especially bad.

I thought the end of the lock-out meant the end of pointless "sports talk" droning on and on about people in suits, Levit reports, and profit margins.

Not so.

Contrary to Gary Bettman's contention that the buisness will now be left in the background, of course all the media is talking about is Bob Goodenow.

Could someone explain how this story is at all relevant to us fans? How does this effect us? The lockout is over. Whatever these fat cats in suits do is no longer of consequence. How is it that smack in the middle of the buy-out period, on the day that free-agency begins, and at a time when the Blue Jays have cemented their status as a legitimate contender and come off one of the most amazing games in recent history are we talking about some union head who matters little at this point? Incredible!

And while I'm at it, here's another point to rant on. Where the hell is Bob McCown? Does this guy *ever* work? I swear he has more vacation days than actual work days.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

when the Blue Jays have cemented their status as a legitimate contender

Contenders???? For what, the wild card? A stretch at best. My money is on Oakland.

Oh right....Toronto....bandwagon....baseball....How I soon I forget.

Tape your ankles and look for an vacant spot(that bandwagon must getting full about now) when it is time to jump off in a couple of weeks.

:D

Your money's on Oakland, yet you call the Jays' chances a stretch? I wonder what your opinion of the A's was a month ago. If Oakland has proven anything, it's that all it takes is a hot streak to take control of the race (wild card OR division), and with the Jays four games out, there's certainly enough time to do just that. Also consider that the Jays have maintained this position without Halladay for the last two weeks, and without Koskie for half the year. With both of those players entering the picture again, the Jays are that much stronger and that much more poised to make a run.

As for being a bandwagon jumper, I'm a season ticket holder.

Oakland probably has the best starting pitching, 1 through 3, in the AL right now and are historically a second half team. I also think that that they are a better team than Minnesota or Toronto. I hate the Yankees so I cant be objective about them. Winning the wildcard all is all about getting hot at the right time. That is the beauty of it. A perfect example is your 2004 World Series Champions. Play .500 for 70% of the year and then put it all together.

As far as bandwagon jumping.....I dont recall any Blue Jay talk on this board until recently. Mind you it is a soccer board, but you "Taranna" guys like a winner.

Good luck to you and the other 20,000 baseball fans in a city of 6.8 million.

Toronto isn't all bad. All of us in Boston love that waitress that works behind home plate. Reason enough for high definition.

quote: Winning the wildcard all is all about getting hot at the right time.

Which is exactly my point. With Ted Lilly regaining his form, Halladay and Koskie returning, and Vernon Wells finally finding his power stroke again, the tools are there for a potential run. Will they do it? Probably not. But to claim they aren't a legitimate contender is absurd.

quote:As far as bandwagon jumping.....I dont recall any Blue Jay talk on this board until recently.

Despite the whining that goes on here about the disrespect soccer gets, this board has proven time and time again that soccer fans can be just as obnoxious and snooty towards other sports as North Americans can be towards soccer. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

quote:Mind you it is a soccer board, but you "Taranna" guys like a winner.

So does the rest of North America.

And anyways, when we do support a losing team (the 80's era Leafs), we're called sheep who deserve what we get.

quote:

Toronto isn't all bad. All of us in Boston love that waitress that works behind home plate. Reason enough for high definition.

She's good at forcing wild pitches.

So you are saying that the Jays potentially could get hot? Well yeah, that point is hard to argue. Honestly, I just don't see it happening.

Oh BTW Hazel Mae now works for a local cable sports network(NESN) that carries the Red Sox and is making waves for calling into local sports radio and talking very suggestively about her sex life or lack there of.

You can take the girl out of Toronto, but ..... well you know the rest.

Well, I have to add that although I am (was) bitchin' about the amount of air time devoted to the NHL. I have been a citizen of Habs Land since Ted Harper, LaPieriere & JC Trembley anchored the defense and Gumper flopped around the crease ....."ah Mom can I stay up 'till the 2nd period is over" So I'm still an ABT (anybody but Toronto) kinda guy or those Bruins, they suck [}:)]

Not to even bring up that being a NL follower in MLB is almost as hard being a soccer fan. Our national sports coverage would have you believe that the AL East is MLB.

But basically our national sports news shows are doing a lousy job covering sports that aren't NHL at the moment and get off of it!

Both RSN and TSN have magazine shows devoted entirely to the NHL so don't clog up your news shows repeating over and over what your other shows are gonna cover anyways.

Hahaha I love it a Red Sox guy and a Jays guy arguing when St. Louis and the Braves are playing HOT...HOT....HOT.....and how about the D-Train, what a pleasure to watch ;)

I must say that the Jays being in the AL East doesn't make much sense since they have no natural rival and with the advent of the Central Division I would think it great if T-O moved to the Central and KC or the Indians or whom ever moved to the East. I think that Detroit and T-O would spawn a much better rivalry. Or I guess the Tigers and Tampa could flip flop and put Detroit in the East.

But then again I never understood why the gods that run MLB would put the Pirates and Philly in different divisions either.

EDIT: Because it's damn near impossible to drink, hold a sneaker toker and type at the same time.

Well, I have to add that although I am (was) bitchin' about the amount of air time devoted to the NHL. I have been a citizen of Habs Land since Ted Harper, LaPieriere & JC Trembley anchored the defense and Gumper flopped around the crease ....."ah Mom can I stay up 'till the 2nd period is over" So I'm still an ABT (anybody but Toronto) kinda guy or those Bruins, they suck [}:)]

Not to even bring up that being a NL follower in MLB is almost as hard being a soccer fan. Our national sports coverage would have you believe that the AL East is MLB.

But basically our national sports news shows are doing a lousy job covering sports that aren't NHL at the moment and get off of it!

Both RSN and TSN have magazine shows devoted entirely to the NHL so don't clog up your news shows repeating over and over what your other shows are gonna cover anyways.

Hahaha I love it a Red Sox guy and a Jays guy arguing when St. Louis and the Braves are playing HOT...HOT....HOT.....and how about the D-Train, what a pleasure to watch ;)

I must say that the Jays being in the AL East doesn't make much sense since they have no natural rival and with the advent of the Central Division I would think it great if T-O moved to the Central and KC or the Indians or whom ever moved to the East. I think that Detroit and T-O would spawn a much better rivalry. Or I guess the Tigers and Tampa could flip flop and put Detroit in the East.

But then again I never understood why the gods that run MLB would put the Pirates and Philly in different divisions either.

EDIT: Because it's damn near impossible to drink, hold a sneaker toker and type at the same time.

Archived