I want to see Spain vs Canada

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

It's strange the CBC will broadcast pretty much any lame/obscure sport in which Canadians compete, any yet, never the MNT.

Don't question CBC. Sportsnet is the official broadcaster of the CSA. Ask Gerry. Prior to TSN's existance, CBC showed a good number of MNT matches.

db

quote:"Thanks for your recent email. Unfortunately, at this time, we have no plans to broadcast that match. Our apologies that we are unable to assist you further."
That's probably just a standard response. The person who replies to e-mails probably just looks at the schedule and tells you it's not on the schedule. I doubt the question gets to anyone who knows anything beyond that.

As canadiankick97 said, it's early yet.

Nobody would try to stop the CBC from showing this match. I doubt any arrangement with sportsnet is exclusive. Anyway, this is a mesage board. Questions are okay. No? Rex Murphy's not my dad.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Don't question CBC. Sportsnet is the official broadcaster of the CSA. Ask Gerry. Prior to TSN's existance, CBC showed a good number of MNT matches.

db

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The "exclusivity" part of the arrangement between Sportsnet and the CSA is only for matches originating in Canada, so another network is entitled to broadcast in Canada a MNT match originating in another country.

Maybe so but as with Scotland and Latvia, this match is part of Sportsnet's file whether they own the rights or not.

Sportsnet is now, for all intents and purposes, Canada's soccer network (if we choose to ignore TSN's coverage of the Champion's League for the moment).

db

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

When was the last MNT match, home or away, on CBC? Not commenting one way or the other, just curious.

If I can recall, it may have been Canada at Guatemala in 1988.

TSN had been the CSA carrier of choice since the CBC stopped

showing soccer, as TSN showed the World Cup and the CSL.

I assume everyone that wants to watch the game thinks its "free." Although Sportsnet and the CSA have a broadcast partnership that does not include any rights fees that Sportsnet would have to pay out. With that said, for the 16 maximum minutes of commercial time they have to sell vs. the ratings they get on game (they probably can't show it live either because of some lame baseball game or hockey panel) it's next to impossible for them to make a penny. Forget the fact that the CSA is so disorganized, they already asked Sportsnet to broadcast the Women's games in Vancouver and Edmonton and the Spain game falls into that same time period....the soccer gang at Sportsnet can't be two places at once....but I'm sure you guys could figure out a way to argue that too!

quote:Originally posted by thepatriot

I Forget the fact that the CSA is so disorganized, they already asked Sportsnet to broadcast the Women's games in Vancouver and Edmonton and the Spain game falls into that same time period....the soccer gang at Sportsnet can't be two places at once....but I'm sure you guys could figure out a way to argue that too!

Extremely easy to argue that one - The "gang" doesn't need to be in two places at once. They can be in Edmonton & Vancouver for the women's games while they simply get the feed from the Spanish broadcast (according to our Spanish-based posters, there will be one) of the Canada-Spain match. Do you think we are really naive enough to expect the match either to be free or for Sportsnet to send a crew to Spain to cover the games themselves? What would be the need for that? We all know that Gerry can do just as bad a job calling the game at a stadium as he can from a studio (the recent Gold Cup telecasts proving that).

I assume everyone that wants to watch the game thinks its "free." Although Sportsnet and the CSA have a broadcast partnership that does not include any rights fees that Sportsnet would have to pay out.

We know it's not free. But since they're "Canada's soccer network"

I would assume that some strong attempt should be made to broadcast

a high-profile game involving our national team.

It was almost scandalous that fans like myself had to go to an ethnic

bar to watch the Canada-Portugal match. Portuguese-Canadians follow

their team, why can't Canadians like us?

And when did EPL matches qualify as Canadian games? Imagine if NFL

games are broadcast INSTEAD of CFL games. I'm sure it'll be profitable

and it'll appeal to quite a few people. But this is

when it's an issue that should not involve just money.

Canadian soccer supporters should not take a backseat to

NASCAR, the New York Yankees, or to World Poker, in OUR country.

I'm sure the CRTC and the sponsors like the CIBC realize that too.

That's what patriotism also mean. [}:)]

Uh. Yeah. Pretty easy.

While your looking at who's available for playing these friendlys, you might want to consider if the match CAN be made available to those people whom you're trying to encourage and promote football to. That is to say, the Canadian public.

Sometimes things just evolve out of the blue and maybe this Spain match may be one of those things. Not much you can do about that then. But too often in the past the CSA has totaly neglected the requirement for getting these matchs where they need to be and that is on the air. If not live, then in a reasonable time slot.

By selecting opponents and a principle domestic rights holder (SportsNet) which for what ever the reasons consistantly dosen't allow for these matchs to be seen then the CSA is failing in it's best opportunitys to promote and further the game of football in Canada. And isn't that their principle mandate?

There, how's that?

P.S. Oh, and there's no way I'm letting SportsNet off the hook on this one. Don't matter a damn if Gerry and Craig call the Spain match from a studio in Toronto, or Vancouver or the international space station. It'll still be called from a remote location from a Spanish feed. And if SportsNet wanted to save a buck on rights by going to a tape delay I'm sure the lads could add commentary before the match is broadcast. Hell, and that would even give them time for editing to improve the quality.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Uh. Yeah. Pretty easy.

While your looking at who's available for playing these friendlys, you might want to consider if the match CAN be made available to those people whom you're trying to encourage and promote football to. That is to say, the Canadian public.

Sometimes things just evolve out of the blue and maybe this Spain match may be one of those things. Not much you can do about that then. But too often in the past the CSA has totaly neglected the requirement for getting these matchs where they need to be and that is on the air. If not live, then in a reasonable time slot.

By selecting opponents and a principle domestic rights holder (SportsNet) which for what ever the reasons consistantly dosen't allow for these matchs to be seen then the CSA is failing in it's best opportunitys to promote and further the game of football in Canada. And isn't that their principle mandate?

There, how's that?

Are you being sarcarstic? If so, that's pretty good! ;)

The only matches the CSA has any control over scheduling are matches held at home - friendlies in particular. Of course, there was no broadcast by Sportsnet of the only home friendly we've had in the past 5 years. We can criticize the CSA certainly for the lack of home matches in recent times, but that's a separate issue to Sportsnet's coverage.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The "exclusivity" part of the arrangement between Sportsnet and the CSA is only for matches originating in Canada, so another network is entitled to broadcast in Canada a MNT match originating in another country.

Well that's no surprise as that would be impossible given the contracts which exist between some of the federations and satelite PPV providers. The CSA has to be more aware of how overseas matchs can be made available to the Canadian public at large given these complications when they're arranging the details of these friendlys.

And even in matchs which are "up for grabs" as it were, soccer in Canada is sadly a SportsNet/TSN or FSWC product. And with SportsNet holding the domestic broadcast rights any other network would just be helping to promote a SportsNet product by taking on something like the Spain friendly.

Now if someone like Global wanted to get into the footie biz and steal away the NTs domestic rights it might be a good investment in brownie points with the CSA to show these overseas matchs. But otherwise, it's going to be a hard sell in the board room.

Alrighty....arm-chair producers.....maybe instead of just calling Sportsnet audience relations to "voice your concerns" send your cheque along with it...I figure there are about 10,000 die hard Canadian soccer fans on the board so the amount you would have pay is 1 dollar each to raise the miinimum 10,000 for rights fees and everyone would be happy...

some more uselful information for everyone....it was the CSA's decision to air the Northern Ireland game on Sportsnet instead of the Portugal game. Note: based on the agreement with Sportsnet and the CSA, I'm pretty sure it requires Sportsnet to broadcast a minimum of 25 games per calander year. They would only go over that number depending on how far Canada would go in certain tournaments..ie. the Gold Cup, Youth Championships.

And yes there is plenty of opportunity for other networks to pick up the slack, therefore the question should be "why don't they?" I can honestly say I'm on your side on this one, but the powers that be at the major sports networks think hockey is the be all and end all, unfortunately it's the whole chicken or the egg arguement as far as soccer goes...I think they need to take a chance on the sport with some high production values and see where it goes, not unlike TSN changed the fortunes of the CFL. Right now soccer does not make money, it does the opposite in fact, so much so that Sportsnet is splitting the quarters and semi's of the World Cup with TSN and sold the final to CTV to try to get back the gigantic amount of money they paid for rights.

It's a tough argument...how to you convince station managers that soccer is a great sell, when despite the massive numbers a World Cup gets, it still does not make money. That makes the challenge of spending money on Canadian soccer that much more difficult.

the patriot is an insider on your side...this is just some of the crap I have to listen to on a daily basis and thought I might share some of it, but I honestly wonder if it's worth it.

the patriot is an insider on your side...this is just some of the crap I have to listen to on a daily basis and thought I might share some of it, but I honestly wonder if it's worth it.

I sincerely appreciate you being on "our" side, patriot. And I

appreciate the CSA and Sportsnet broadscasting the Gold Cup and the

Northern Ireland games. But let me ask you, as a Canadian soccer

fan, who do you expect us to request/complain about the games?

"Canada's Soccer Network" of course!

Believe me I am willing to pay for my share of broadcast rights, as I

(and quite a few of us) paid our way to support our team in Seattle,

Boston, Scotland, Wales, and even Portugal. But it is a shame

that sportsnet would only cite the financial aspect of things.

I have Foxsportworld Canada, all the digital channels of Sportsnet,

TSN, and what-have-you BECAUSE of the lack of soccer coverage.

If the game was on pay-per-view or even on the grey-market

channels I wouln't bitch, but since it's not, I can't understand

that Rogers would show Canadian fishing and not the sport they

are supposed to be promoting as the sport's network.

Do you have a suggestion as to who specifically we should

request this? Or should I start recommending that we dump

Rogers stock to institutions and investors?

Cost. There's another argument which has been made in the past. It has more to do with the CSA than SportsNet or whoever, but it comes back to the belief that it is necessary to get these matchs on the television and available to the general public at large.

Dose the CSA even budget anything for broadcasting? When I say broadcasting budget I mean dose the CSA in any way shape or form make moneys available where by they purchase the Canadian rights for overseas matchs and then make them available to a willing broadcaster at a reduced rate or free? I'm sure a broadcaster somewhere in Canada is more than willing to take on the limited production costs in airing a supplied feed with remote studio commentary while filling two hours of air time.

And it's not as though the CSA would have to do this for every match the MNT plays. In some instances, as a condition for participation, the feed rights for Canada could be made available to the CSA to distribute as they will. Other matchs will be covered by SportsNet in order to fill their contractual quota. And others still, will be covered in Canada by non-english language channels but still readily available.

Like Redhat wrote, I've got to have 7-8 sports channels, including French, and I can't see Canada's MNT play a friendly? The CSA is doing something wrong when it's loosing the battle for air time on the sports networks and sports friendly channels to poker, fishing, roller blading and lacrosse. And repeats at that.

They should probably give it a good think about how they're approaching this whole issue.

Archived