Toronto Blizzard for MLS name?

Luis_Rancagua

With the possibilities that Toronto will, with all likelyhood, get an MLS franchise, do you think is right to call the new franchise Toronto Blizzard. What's your view on this one??? If it works for Vancouver (Whitecaps), would it work for Toronto??? I've already forward an E-mail to the MLSE on this matter. I hope to get a response.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think the Toronto Black Squirrels would be a better name - we have more of those in Toronto than we do Blizzards, especially in the summer months when the team would play.

Gian-Luca, think about the great tradition that the Blizzard left behind. Now with that being said, would you actually call the team the Reptiles, the Flashers, the Alliens, etc...

Doesn't everybody think "Real Salt Lake" sounds silly? The Utah Yuths (said in a Joe Peschi accent) would have been a better name.

How about the Toronto Testicles? Think of all the jokes the commentators could say about the players playing with their balls.

Doesn't everybody think "Real Salt Lake" sounds silly? The Utah Yuths (said in a Joe Peschi accent) would have been a better name.

How about the Toronto Testicles? Think of all the jokes the commentators could say about the players playing with their balls.

New meaning to thw word "Long ball tactics"

Yutes would be good. I like it. Much like Real Salt lake, Yutes would in some be very Euro. Much like Juve or the swiss club called Young boys. :D

Supposedly the people of Salt Lake City have taken to the name. I thought the name was silly too, but soccer has a long tradition of ripping names from big clubs. In Latin America you have clubs named Liverpool, Barcelona, Arsenal, etc.

Blizzard works for me, but my personal favorite is FC Toronto

I think a logo similar to that of FC Tokyo would be awesome

fc.tokyo.jpg

Seriously. I think the best name in MLS is Metrostars. It reflects a region and is very distictive and yet not a euro ripoff. I would like to see something along that line for a name.

In the NBA, I like the name Golden State. But it would have been better had they left out the Warriors name.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Seriously. I think the best name in MLS is Metrostars. It reflects a region and is very distictive and yet not a euro ripoff. I would like to see something along that line for a name.

Tell me you're joking! "MetroStars" sounds like the name of a Las Vegas roller skating show.

I think the Toronto Black Squirrels would be a better name - we have more of those in Toronto than we do Blizzards, especially in the summer months when the team would play.

We also have more homeless people than anywhere else in Canada.

Toronto Hobos? Toronto Vagrants? Toronto Guys Spitting And Swearing At You For Not Giving Up Some Change?

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Toronto Hobos? Toronto Vagrants? Toronto Guys Spitting And Swearing At You For Not Giving Up Some Change?

Well the homeless are bringing glory for canada in international soccer :):

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1122331505926&call_pageid=1044529386722&col=1044529386490

Jul. 26, 2005. 01:00 AM

Soccer tournament helps the homeless

EDINBURGH—A half-dozen homeless people have given Canada one of its best international soccer results.

Canada won two games at the third annual Homeless World Cup, double its total from last year's event in Sweden. It finished in 20th place, far better than the Canadian men's team's 84th-place world ranking, albeit against a much smaller field.

"They've had so much taken away from them, but you can't take this away," said co-manager Michelle Brown, who led the fundraising that paid for the team to go.

The games were played on a concrete pitch in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. The four-a-side teams comprised men and women, 50-year-olds and teenagers. Matches, which drew thousands of spectators, took just 14 minutes each.

The tournament aims to use soccer to help the homeless break out from the margins of society. The annual competition began in Austria in 2003 and is scheduled for Cape Town, South Africa, next year.

Italy won this year's tournament, beating Poland 3-2 in the final. Canada defeated Slovakia and the Czech Republic, but lost 4-2 to Spain in its last game.

Thirty-two teams were entered, but players for five African teams — Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Burundi and Zambia — were denied entry to Scotland due to immigration concerns.

Canada's Brad Stone, 25, has high hopes for possible effects back home.

"If they could see what we're seeing, I think their views would change so much. This is going to open more doors. I believe it will change my life."

from Tristan Stewart-Robertson, Associated Press

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I guess that I am not the only one who thinks that Real Salt lake sounds really silly. I think Euro-wannabe when I see that name.

I think "Real" is derived from "Royal". I don't know what the link is between Royal and Salt lake city.

How many people know it means Royal? I didn't until you told me.

You're right of course. The name is just dumb. I would have thought that Salt Lake Tabernacle would have been more appropriate.

db

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Toronto Squeegee Boys

Or we could go with something very topical, like the Toronto Smog or the Ontario RoadKill

Archived