Sandro Grande off to Norway.

François

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What position was Grande playing with the Impact? I know he played mostly as a D-mid for Canada, but from some lineups and match reports I have read, it sounded like he was playing as a defender for the Impact. Is this the case? If so, could somebody like Hainault end up taking some of his playing time for what remains of the season?

What position was Grande playing with the Impact? I know he played mostly as a D-mid for Canada, but from some lineups and match reports I have read, it sounded like he was playing as a defender for the Impact. Is this the case? If so, could somebody like Hainault end up taking some of his playing time for what remains of the season?

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Oh no! Wow, that's two starters in 24 hours. Luckily the Impact have a lot of depth. Priority number one will be to get a striker signed before the August 1 roster freeze date.

We do have a bit of money now, we should be able to sign a quality player.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

Oh no! Wow, that's two starters in 24 hours. Luckily the Impact have a lot of depth. Priority number one will be to get a striker signed before the August 1 roster freeze date.

We do have a bit of money now, we should be able to sign a quality player.

Do you think they will go out and sign a player or try to patch from within. According to the way they played when 5 or 6 starters were away with the national team, they may just try to promote some of their younger players to starting roles?

Do you think they will go out and sign a player or try to patch from within. According to the way they played when 5 or 6 starters were away with the national team, they may just try to promote some of their younger players to starting roles?

Congratulations to Sandro. He's one player who surprised

and emerged in WCQ, and played well in the Gold Cup. Sandro

(and Canada,effectively) will benefit from his experience in

Scandinavia.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for signing my kid's hat.

Grande signs deal with Norwegian team

MONTREAL (CP) - Canadian international Sandro Grande is leaving the Montreal Impact after signing a three-year deal with Norwegian first division club Viking Stravanger on Monday.

Grande, who scored two goals in seven games for Montreal this season, leaves to join his new teammates Tuesday.

This is the 27-year-old midfielder's second foray into European soccer - in 2001 he signed a three-year deal with Italian Serie A club Brescia.

The Montreal native joined the Impact in 2004, when he started 22 of the team's 23 games, scored four goals and was named a first team all-star.

Grande has earned four caps for Canada, most recently playing in all three of the national team's games at the Gold Cup.

Viking are currently tied for first place in Norway and in good position for a UEFA spot. They are currently in UEFA but I don't think Grande will be allow to play due to some regulation, maybe I'm wrong, can someone confirm this.

Great move for him.

Viking are actually in 3rd place at the moment 3 points out of first. There website is http://www.viking-fk.no/default.asp but it has not announced the transfer yet. They have a pretty impressive stadium:

viking4.jpg

vikingstadion1.jpg

I also think this is a very good move for Grande and well deserved as he has consistently shown that he has the ability to play at a level above that of the A-league. Tough for the Impact's championship prospects to lose one of their two best players and one of their most promising players in the same week but they have the most depth of any USL team and dealt well with the absense of 6 players during the Gold Cup. How long until Sutton follows Grande and Gerba to Europe? Could it also happen before the end of the season?

I smell world cup 2010 coming up and Canada will be there this time. Best of luck to both of them and hope that they have success.

Now if only dero can go to europe too maybe he can actually turn things around after his bad performance at the GC this is coming form a Dero fan :)

Archived