Whitecaps stadium on Sports Page

Did anyone catch the clip on Sports Page last night? It stated that Kerfoot wanted the land at Main & Terminal and would foot the bill to build the stadium himself. The city is dragging its feet on the issue and Mayor Campbell was quoted to want he BC Lions to play in an outdoor stadium. Sounds like there's another Canadian city with a problem with soccer stadiums.

That plot of land right on the corner of Main & Terminal is totally deluxe. Right across from the skytrain and very accessible by vehicle. I have a feeling it just doesn't quite fit in with the city's revitilization plan for the area. The city would probably rather more low income housing or something.

Mayor Campbell is not running for re-election this fall, so his opinion won't matter much in the future.

The City has been encouraging high tech firms to locate in the Main and Terminal area.

Vancouver has many homeless people, who need somewhere to live. Housing costs in Vancouver are very high.

I was actually surprised to see that location mentioned last night as reports suggested it would be behind the train station not across the street. Plus I think Richard might have posted something about it being near the Seabus terminal. The latter didn't make too much sense in terms of car traffic. Public Transit would be easy though.

Yes, a location on the waterfornt just east of the Seabus terminal was mentioned to me as a desirable by Whitecaps President John Rocha a few months back. I am sure several potential locations have been identified, scoped out and ranked according to various criteria. We won't really know until a formal announcement is made, until then it's nothing but speculation.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Yes, a location on the waterfornt just east of the Seabus terminal was mentioned to me as a desirable by Whitecaps President John Rocha a few months back. I am sure several potential locations have been identified, scoped out and ranked according to various criteria. We won't really know until a formal announcement is made, until then it's nothing but speculation.

There are rumours the Caps were looking at sites along the newer Skytrain line through Burnaby, at spots where the line is close to Highway 1. There is one such empty large lot beside the Braid skytrain station, within stone throwing distance of both Highway 1 and Lougheed Highway. Technically its in New Westminster. The Mayor of that community has been in the news recently promising all kinds of development projects.

Is Kerfoot planning to build a 10,000 to 20,000 seat stadium for soccer, that will only be used by the Caps and the national team, 30 times a year, or are they building a multi-use facility, that would be used by other sports in order to generate enough revenue to pay for the building over time?

The impression I gained, certainly for the downtown waterfront location was a multi-use facility especially accommodating for concerts which would make a lot of sense. The harbour and North Shore Mountains would make a brilliant backdrop. I'm not sure Braid and Lougheed would be quite such an appealing location but no doubt much less costly.

On the Southsiders board we've Google satellite-mapped the supposed sites around False Creek... lots of interesting spots available...

A great spot, but HIGHLY unlikely: replace the Brockton Oval at Stanley Park!

Kerfoot's looked at empty lots west of Canada Place, right on the waterfront. Feds won't give it up though due to port expansion.

Who is it that just built the floating stadium off their waterfront... Rochester? Great concept! Parking around the top of the stadium, while the game is held down below.

Some background info from an old post of mine on the SS board:

quote: As I understand it, Caps brass have talked to city planners over the last few years about a number of sites, some which are city owned, some which are privately owned:

The hold up here is NOT bureaucracy, nor is it a lack of local support.

Kerfoot's just looking for the right spot at the right price... and that requires extensive negotiations with multiple stakeholders.

1. Federal gov't: Waterfront property near Canada Place was once under consideration, but the feds do not appear willing to sell land due to future port expansion plans.

2. In theory, the city could sell off a section of False Creek, but their asking price would be astronomical. They've got that whole area zoned for condos, which means billions of property taxes over the next few decades. Taxes paid by a stadium on the same land doesn't even come close to covering what the city could have made. It's not that the city is saying "no", they're saying "show me the money, and lots of it." Kerfoot can find a much better deal elsewhere.

3. There was talk of a site a few blocks south of Science World where there is supposed to be a RAV line station built in a few years. I believe this is privately owned, and has not necessarily been ruled out.

4. Garden City lands in Richmond: this was a rumour started by a Richmond news reporter with no factual basis whatsoever. I doubt this was ever seriously on Kerfoot's radar.

5. Most likely location is the land adjacent to the CN Rail station near Main & Terminal. I believe there's a few lots up for grabs there, some owned by CN, others owned by local developers. My bet is Kerfoot is working a couple of owners in this area to get the most competitive price for himself, and rightfully so.

Last rumour I heard was that Kerfoot's team was in talks with a couple of Hong Kong property owners about lands to the east of the CN rail station. I didn't see the Sports Page segment, so there could be new developments I'm not aware of.

Sorry, a few more tidbits:

1. Some of the very early discussion papers at Vancouver city hall about the Caps search for a site specifically mention that the surface would be grass, and that the venue would also be used for outdoor concerts.

2. BC Lions are on record as not wanting to share anything less than a 35,000 seat venue.

They've talked about temporary seating across the pitch frome the main grandstand if they're in a pinch for 2007, but there won't be any permanent changes to Swangard.

The stadium is city owned, and the anti-development lefties at city hall have no desire to 1. spend tax dollars or 2. expand the existing footprint within Central Park.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Kerfoot's looked at empty lots west of Canada Place, right on the waterfront. Feds won't give it up though due to port expansion.

TEAM 1040 mentioned Kerfoot has purchased land to the east of Canada Place? I only caught a snippet....anyone else hear this?

One of the Southsiders was talking to Jim Green, a Vancouver councillor who'll soon be running for mayor.

Green apparently says:

Main & Terminal idea is totally dead.

All recent energies have been focused on the Coal Harbour waterfront near the Seabus terminal.

Caps have provided a full business plan to council... announcement is pending, and it's coming soon.

This, coupled with banter on Team 1040, makes me think something's up.

If it is indeed near Coal Harbour, that puts it right in the heart of downtown with excellent links to Seabus, Skytrain and bus service. It will also be near the expanded trade & convention centre. Fantastic!

But now I'm wondering about this:

When we look east of Canada Place, that places us right int he middle of where the Port of Vancouver wants to expand. That port is desperate for growth, and I'm not sure the feds would play ball.

That got me thinking.

I've been plowing through city planning records to see exactly where the convention centre expansion is going to be, and a big chunk of this lot seems to be left over:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=vancouver+BC&ll=49.289110,-123.119756&spn=0.003337,0.007522&t=h&hl=en

I'm talking about the big grey rectangular area sandwiched between the green park space to the north, and the Rennaisance Hotel to the south. It says "2005 Google" right over top of it.

Wishful thinking? I'd prefer it to be east of the Seabus than the site I've mapped here, because transit would be miles better and yield better crowds... I'm just not so sure the needs of the Port will allow it to happen there.

I also thought Portside (C.R.A.B.) Park to the east might be an option, but it seems dodgy considering they have a totem pole cultural monument there.

Bah... enough speculation! Get on with the bloody announcement, you Caps!

But now I'm wondering about this:

When we look east of Canada Place, that places us right int he middle of where the Port of Vancouver wants to expand. That port is desperate for growth, and I'm not sure the feds would play ball.

That got me thinking.

I've been plowing through city planning records to see exactly where the convention centre expansion is going to be, and a big chunk of this lot seems to be left over:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=vancouver+BC&ll=49.289110,-123.119756&spn=0.003337,0.007522&t=h&hl=en

I'm talking about the big grey rectangular area sandwiched between the green park space to the north, and the Rennaisance Hotel to the south. It says "2005 Google" right over top of it.

Wishful thinking? I'd prefer it to be east of the Seabus than the site I've mapped here, because transit would be miles better and yield better crowds... I'm just not so sure the needs of the Port will allow it to happen there.

I also thought Portside (C.R.A.B.) Park to the east might be an option, but it seems dodgy considering they have a totem pole cultural monument there.

Bah... enough speculation! Get on with the bloody announcement, you Caps!

Is this it:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=49.300173,-123.126032&spn=0.003443,0.009112&t=k&hl=en

If the link doesn't work, I'm looking at an opening near the eastmost corner of the park. May be unlikely, but that spot is begging for a stadium!

Is this it:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=49.300173,-123.126032&spn=0.003443,0.009112&t=k&hl=en

If the link doesn't work, I'm looking at an opening near the eastmost corner of the park. May be unlikely, but that spot is begging for a stadium!

Archived