Canada moves up to 84th spot

Breakwood

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6th.....ahead of france, england, spain, portugal and germany????!!!!....with a bunch of guys who couldnt make it in the english championship division?...i dont get it...when is the last result the americans had against a top 15 team?...other than mexico...

FOR THE LAST TIME FIFA RANKINGS ARE CALCULATED ACCORDING TO CRITERIA WHICH ADVANTAGES THE CONCACAF POWERHOUSES.

Can we stop with the whole "This team would beat that team" stuff? The USA is killing in the Hex and the GC while France was decent at the Euro and is crapping in WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

We need a tournament at Commonwealth in November, officially called "Canada Cup," but code named "FIFA Points:"

Egypt

Saudi Arabia

Tunisia

Canada

Great idea. Let's revive the Canada Cup.

Your choice of countries is interesting, but why not at least one Concacaf country, maybe Panama.

We need a tournament at Commonwealth in November, officially called "Canada Cup," but code named "FIFA Points:"

Egypt

Saudi Arabia

Tunisia

Canada

Throw Israel in there and we'd get some TV revenue to boot. That just might cover security costs though.

Would Jamaica or Mexico not be good? We have to play them come WCQ anyways, why not get the practice we need. I think there are a few Jamaicans in Toronto who might be interested.

We are still ranked only 10th best in CONCACAF. A Canada Cup tournament is a great idea for given our North American based players some much needed matches in Canada, great for our international soccer starved fans, and a great opportunity to market our product through media exposure. 8 countries divided into two groups of four. The top two would go on to semi-finals, with the winners meeting in a final. A total of 15 games, which means that every WYC city could host at least two matches, with the top two cities (whichever they may be) hosting a semifinal, and the final would of course have to be played in Vancouver, since this has always been Canada's soccer capital. Would make a great great dress rehersal for running a tournament before WYC 2007, if the CSA could organize such an event next year prior to the World Cup for teams that did not qualify. The States might even be interested in playing as a tune-up for the World Cup. The more CONCACAF nations playing in it, the better the experience for Canada.

I think the point about a Canada Cup in November, at Commonwealth, is tongue in cheek. The opponents mentioned, umm, might have an issue with the elements, and as such, Code Name: FIFA Points, might just be Mission: Possible.

The tournament could be run in conjunction with The Heritage Classic - Revisited.

I guess it's dumb to disrespect the countries listed above. You never know as they say. It does seem to me that they're ranked awfully high and, in all seriousness, why don't we try to pick up some FIFA points? We've got nothing else to do for the next few years. A loss against Spain and a win against Luxembourg should put us... wait let me do the math... okay, according to my calcuations... 84th!

I guess it's dumb to disrespect the countries listed above. You never know as they say. It does seem to me that they're ranked awfully high and, in all seriousness, why don't we try to pick up some FIFA points? We've got nothing else to do for the next few years. A loss against Spain and a win against Luxembourg should put us... wait let me do the math... okay, according to my calcuations... 84th!

I agree 100$. Talk about a pair of useless friendlies. I don't see us beating Spain and if we don't beat Luxembough...... Anyway, Frank needs to make up is mind. Is he going to pass or shoot. Right now, is doing one of those in between things. My suggestion to Frank is to stick with a North American based nucleus. Get these guys as much playing time together so they can jell as a cohesive unit. When the important matches come up, he can always call up the in form European who are getting regular playing time with their clubs. Relying solely on European based players has proven time again not to work for Canada. Costa Rica, Jamaica, Guatemala, Trinidad, Panama, Honduras, El Salvador just to name a few CONCACAF countries don't use that approach. They usually have two or three overseas players on their rosters. Why can't we learn that lesson.

I no the FIFA rankings do not really matter to us, or even help us make the WC.

However, to help improve the image of Canadian Soccer i think the CSA should have the rest of 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 deicated increase Canada's FIFA ranking. The 30 would be a nice goal to reach.

We could use a B team for most of the game in N.A and and A team for some harder games vs. the USA/Mexico/Other top 30 teams.

If we had a tourny atleast once a year, plus 2 friendlies a month vs. smaller counties in CONCACAF it would be perfect.

Think of all the home games! The team could travel the country even play in Toronto and HAMILTON!

Lets contact the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

What ever happened to that tourney we were suposed to play in england against South Africa, Australia and Iran guess it won't happen.

That would be great all those teams are in our league more so than spain :)

Well, the most games you're allowed to fit in an international break is 2.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

6th.....ahead of france, england, spain, portugal and germany????!!!!....with a bunch of guys who couldnt make it in the english championship division?...i dont get it...when is the last result the americans had against a top 15 team?...other than mexico...

I know, it's amazing the things that can happen when you can make it to the World Cup and perform decently. We know the rankings are waay too flattering but b/c the 98 Cup means almost nothing now the US is going to be ranked accordingly by the only organization that the rankings really matter, FIFA.

Seriously, all of those euro teams you listed haven't played since when again? And we don't have the same level of competition but it's not like the european teams don't play their fair share of minnows.

quote:Originally posted by Robert

I agree 100$. Talk about a pair of useless friendlies. I don't see us beating Spain and if we don't beat Luxembough...... Anyway, Frank needs to make up is mind. Is he going to pass or shoot. Right now, is doing one of those in between things. My suggestion to Frank is to stick with a North American based nucleus. Get these guys as much playing time together so they can jell as a cohesive unit. When the important matches come up, he can always call up the in form European who are getting regular playing time with their clubs. Relying solely on European based players has proven time again not to work for Canada. Costa Rica, Jamaica, Guatemala, Trinidad, Panama, Honduras, El Salvador just to name a few CONCACAF countries don't use that approach. They usually have two or three overseas players on their rosters. Why can't we learn that lesson.

Do I get a $100 for agreeing? I hope not, because I don't think playing Spain is useless. I know I and many other Canadian supporters will take great utility from this match. Still, if we can only draw 5-10k at home regardless, why not try to pad the rankings a bit and take advantage of the odd team who is clearly misranked by FIFA. That's all I'm saying. Also, those late fall/early winter games from Moscow and Kiev look pretty cool. Why not try to squeeze in a home game in November instead of playing Luxembourg?

I guess it's done now. So I hope we get to see the likes of Gyaki, Fernandes, Edgar, Ledgerwood on November 16 -the birthdate I share with Paul Scholes.

I guess it's done now. So I hope we get to see the likes of Gyaki, Fernandes, Edgar, Ledgerwood on November 16 -the birthdate I share with Paul Scholes.

Twins seperated at birth? ;)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Well, the most games you're allowed to fit in an international break is 2.

Would of been great to see though at least we could of had some good closer matches.

But i have a good feeling against Spain Sutton should provide us with some better goaltending than hirsch:) and as long as Braz Gerv and most players from the gold cup are there it should be a good learning experience

Home friendlies are what Canada needs right now. The CSA should be using them to start to market the 2007 u-20's across the country. Playing in the host cities and co marketing the team with the tournament (and game in general)would be the best way of druming up support in these early days.

Mabey Canada could play a 4 team tourney where it is semi's and then either final/third place format like we did in Egypt a few years back.

My picks right now would be

Canada

Jamaica

Ivory Coast

Ausralia

Archived