CPSL Rogers Cup tournament hosts will be...

And the hosts of the 2005 Rogers Cup in October will be North York Astros.

While the Astros aren't knocked out of this competition this early in the year, it seems unlikely they would squeeze in as one of the top three sides from their conference except for being the hosts.

An advantage of playing here in October will be the field turf should hold up unlike the last time they were hosts (2002) when the field was a bald mud pit after heavy rains during the week.

(Attn Moderator: I chose to have this on a separate thread because this topic generated a longer thread of discussions than any posts about any CPSL games over the years).

http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/sports/

Soccer Astros to host CPSL championships

SAM LASKARIS More from this author

Jul. 10, 2005

One of their dreams has come to an end but regardless of how they fare during the rest of their regular season, the North York Astros will still have an opportunity to challenge for their league title.

That's because the local franchise has been selected to host the Canadian Professional Soccer League (CPSL) championship tournament this fall.

Even if they don't earn a post-season berth by being one of the top three finishers in their division, as hosts of the league championship, the Astros will still get to participate in the post-season party.

An estimated 2,000 people attended last year's CPSL final in Brampton.

"We're hoping we can build on that," Astros general manager Bruno Ierullo said.

Ierullo added he actually has mixed feelings over the fact his squad will play host to the CPSL championships.

He's obviously thrilled his charges will be taking part. No doubt Ierullo is thinking back to 2002. The Astros also played host to the CPSL championships that year. Though they had a disappointing regular season that year, the Astros got to take part in the playoffs. The squad ended up winning a pair of post-season contests and advanced to the league final, which was won by the Ottawa Wizards.

There's a reason though why Ierullo sounds a bit hesitant in having his organization play host to the league final.

"It's a lot of hard work," he said. "We're trying to make this a community affair. I'd really like to see the North York Soccer Association and all the other local sport entities jump on board for this. This is not something that should be put on by the North York Astros. It should be a community event."

The Astros are off to somewhat of a disappointing start this year. The club has won just one out of its first six regular season games.

The Astros were also eliminated last Sunday from further play in the Open Canada Cup, a season-long tournament not only involving CPSL franchises but amateur clubs from across the province as well.

North York was edged 2-1 by the Brampton Stallions in their second round matchup.

"It was an even game," Ierullo said. "We both had chances. Unfortunately, they scored one more goal than us. Our game plan was executed to perfection. But luck was not on our side."

The Astros' next regular season game is scheduled for today (Sunday) at Esther Shiner Stadium versus the Hamilton Thunder.

The kickoff is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

I don't believe this is the best venue for the Rogers Cup. The field is nice although the football lines do not help the players. I think FIFA does have rules and regulations concerning these fields and they do not allow games to be played on field like these ones (although i have seen the MLS host games on these fields)

quote:Originally posted by El CHE

I think FIFA does have rules and regulations concerning these fields and they do not allow games to be played on field like these ones (although i have seen the MLS host games on these fields)

Those rules apply to international matches but don't have to be followed for domestic club matches.

My biggest problem with having the Playoff Cup at Esther Shiner is that it was held there just three years ago:

1998 Centennial Stadium (Toronto Croatia) [hosts NOT automatically qualified]

1999 Oshawa [hosts NOT automatically qualified]

2000 London

2001 St. Catharines

2002 North York

2003 London

2004 Brampton

2005 North York

(List generated from info at Rocket Robin's site.)

It should be cycled through all the teams as much as possible (I don't think the above list is as much as possible).

My more general problem is that with a completely balanced schedule there should be a regular league championship as the main trophy, then a Playoff Cup as a bonus tournament. That way it wouldn't be stupid that the last-placed team can ultimately win the championship.

DJT,

I totally agree with your last comment. In fact I've been thinking about suggesting it on the "Ask the Commish" thread on the CPSL site for about 6 months. That format is exactly what the men's league I play in uses: Open Cup, League, and Play-Off Cup. It works well because both sets of fans (Euro and NA) get the format that they are most used to. I swear that Steelers used to have a condensed "one-table" CPSL standings on the old BHTC site - I'll see if I can get him to put one back up.

Mike.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

That was a "borrowed" script from the Ontario Soccer Web site and I gotta dig up the script (got it from Phantom Mike). If I can find it, it'll go up.

Hey I've been to enough season ending CPSL banquets to know that they give out enough trophies for Open Canada Cup, Championship trophy (although now split between East and West), and a Rogers Cup for Playoff Championship. Could have three different winners.

I think Toronto Olympians won the treble and Ottawa Wizards fell one

cup short.

Another question you should think of is how many cities have their fields available in early October? North York for the first time can guarantee a good field. Seating for thousands (although filling them is something completely different).

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

That format is exactly what the men's league I play in uses: Open Cup, League, and Play-Off Cup. It works well because both sets of fans (Euro and NA) get the format that they are most used to.

I think it just makes everything confusing, and it's pointless. Especially when the host team could finish last and still win the Playoff Cup.

The CPSL this year is playing a balanced schedule of 22 games, they play everbody once away and once at home. Why not have a single table?

Like a few other things, soccer people over here have to decide on either the NA or the European sports sytem.

Having 1 league champion (through a European style league championship or through a NA playoff system) and then as well the Open Cup (for all teams across Canada) is more than enough. Giving everbody a trophy doesn't make it better, makes it look like the local 12-year olds house league.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

That format is exactly what the men's league I play in uses: Open Cup, League, and Play-Off Cup. It works well because both sets of fans (Euro and NA) get the format that they are most used to

It should be noted that this is what the CPSL did for the first 4 years of its existence. It wasn't until 2002 and 2003 that two conferences were used, but in those years the schedule was unbalanced so the two conferences were alright. For some reason they stuck with the two conferences in 2004 and 2005 even though the schedule is balanced again — which is nonsensical, in my opinion, so much so that it has really lessened my interest in the league.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Hey I've been to enough season ending CPSL banquets to know that they give out enough trophies for Open Canada Cup, Championship trophy (although now split between East and West), and a Rogers Cup for Playoff Championship.

Actually, it's worse than that, since there are also East, West and Cup runners-up awards, plus a Fair Play Award (according to your reports). Last year, 7 different teams got trophies. One went to an amateur team, but still, over half of the CPSL teams got awards. That's silly.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

soccer people over here have to decide on either the NA or the European sports sytem

The Playoff Cup is not totally un-European. The German League Cup is essentially the same thing, except there are no hosts and it is held before the following season rather than after the current season.

Having a single table with a balanced schedule and emphasizing the league championship as the main title (even in 1998-2001 the emphasis was on the Playoff Cup, as far as I can tell) but still keeping the Playoff Cup around would be fine, in my opinion.

While I'm making comparisons to other countries, even the current setup of two conferences despite a balanced schedule followed by playoffs is very similar to what is done in Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Another question you should think of is how many cities have their fields available in early October? North York for the first time can guarantee a good field. Seating for thousands (although filling them is something completely different).

Yes, I've thought about that, that's what I meant by "as much as possible" — in other words, I realize that not every city can do it. However, I also said "I don't think the above list is as much as possible" — in other words, I find it hard to believe that they have really spread it around to all the cities that are actually available.

For example, is there a reason why they can't have it at Vaughan? Hamilton? Windsor?

For the record, here is a list of the Cup final tournament hosts:

1998 not held at neutral venue

1999 not held at neutral venue

2000 Birchmount Stadium (Toronto Olympians) [hosts NOT automatically qualified]

2001 Ottawa [hosts NOT automatically qualified]

2002 London

2003 London

2004 London

2005 ???

(Again, list generated from info at Rocket Robin's site.)

Having hosted two Playoff Cups and three consecutive CPSL Cups (qualifying as a wildcard in every case), London sure get their share, no? I find it hard to believe that this is forced by stadium availability.

Archived