July 9 GC - USA v Canada - POST-match [R]

DJT

I also just got to see the replay of the match today, I have to say tha twe looked pretty good for the most part. Decision making was much better, and we seemed to control the ball pretty well. I figure that if we can get are full team together and play regularily together (more friendlies) then we can compete with the US. I didn't find any of the US players to be really any more skilled then are guys, they just had so much more chemistry and familiarity. From a player perspective,

Our defensive line looked pretty good today and did a good job of limiteing the Americans. I really im excited to see what a full strength line of Stalteri-Klucka-Hutch -Simpson is capable of. That d lineup would feature a lot of on the ball skill, poise and speed. Simpson and Staltari would provide over lapping runs with the midfield, something we don't have right now. I am all in favor of Hutch staying at center back as I feel his role in the midfield is a bit redundent with the likes of JDeGuz./Seriux/Grande already fullfill the same role he would be asked to fill.

To the midfield, this to me will contiune to be our weakest link until we can find someone who can get the ball to our strickers in prim scoring areas. Today justified that. We are good until the final third but we lak a player with the vision and creativity to spring them. Bernier was solid but unspectacular, I still can't beleive that he bungled that chance. It should of been a sure goal, all he had to do was direct the ball with his knee towards the net, sure goal and a 1-1 score line. Serioux was very good as well, gonna be difficult to find him a spot on the starting 11 when deguz comes back. Brennan looked much better today, rust starting to come off a bit. Peters did well, showed a lot more poise and passing ability on the ground then in previous games. If he can keep that up he'll do well.

Im thinking that Hume should play an attaking midfield role behind the two strikers for Cuba, I see a lot of Kaka (sp) in him, great touch and shot, poise on the ball and has the vision and passing skills to find open teammates. My ideal A midfield Seriux-deGuz-Brennen

With Hume playing in a tree formation with the two strikers, much like AC Milan.

Strickers, Occean had a good game, really strong on the ball despite the lack of support. showed some good skill and is a good ball winner. DeRo frustrated the hell outta me, showed some flashes of brilliance but I beleive hurt more then helped. Some one has got to teach him how to utilize his teamates. He continualy tried to beat guys and lost all night. When he had oppurtunities to pass he miffed numerious ones and or just didn't try to pass. Shouldn't be a starter id imo. Id like to see an Occean Radzinski partnership up front in the future. My ideal line up would be

Stateri-Hutch-Klucka-Simpson

Serioux-----DeGuz.---Brennen

--------Hume----------

Radzinski-----Occean

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frustrated beyond belief with him. Be-yond be-lief.

I think the only people more frustrated with him might be the lads who're running their guts out trying to support him but somehow become Mr and Mrs Invisable until DDR plays himself into a dead end. Or a really good opportunity melted away with a 6th, 7th or 8th touch of the ball by Dwayne. (As if it was required).

Honest to God I don't know what to do with him. I don't. There's too much there to leave off the team, but Geezus. Is it a wonder he didn't exactly catch on during the winter in Europe? Not to me.

The problem with Dero (and I agree 100% with Cheeta) is that he's our most prolific player and will score goals out of nothing. But is the regularly occasionnal goal worth so many wasted opportunities? That's the question.

Of course, being FY's golden boy will insure him a permanent starting position. Ugh. When was the last time he was injured for a MNT game?

I agree with you about DeRo. Very frustrating. I remember when he was complaining about the lack of opportunity at being a striker. Now he's there he looks out of place in that role. If Hume is healthy he should start up front. But whatever happens I hope Leduc is taken out of a starting role. He looks out of his league.

Let's see how DeRo does tonight playing in the hole behind Occean and Gerba. We haven't seen him in this role before, but it could be just the perfect spot for him. Two guys ahead of him to give him some passing outlets and he should get a few opportunities to get off some of his patented long bombs on goal.

As for the last time he was injured for a MNT match, I hope that question wasn't asked in the spirit of hoping for an injury because that would be awful. The answer is that he missed most of 2003 with a bad injury suffered right before the USA friendly that we lost 4-0. We didn't see him again until Colin Miller was the interim manager and, as I recall, most Voyageurs couldn't wait for his return (myself included).

"canso, sorry to abandon you"

It's OK, I have that effect on people.

In my own defence, if I wash that shirt now it will change the mojo.

Then again, given the luck we been having, maybe I should throw it in the laundry before tonight's game.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Landon Donovan is now on my Top 10 list of least favorite Americans. Sulky little twit.

I think the "German Reject" chant really got to him though!

Did anyone else almost choke on whatever you were eating when Gerry said in the Pre-game that Donovan has proven himself to be one of the best players in the world??

I was thinking, Wait, does the Donovan that couldn't hack Leverkusen have a brother who's actually good or something?!?

I wonder what it would take to bribe Graeme Leggatt out of retirement. Aren't there any other pro-Canada Scottish ex-patriates out there?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And you think this Canadian team has? You had most of your star players on the field, we didn't, and even though you were playing at home and have far more depth than we do you needed a fluky own goal and a late goal on the counter against 10 men from a player who shouldn't have been on the field to beat our B team. Not an overly impressive performance by the Yanks by any stretch. Lucky for your team we didn't have our shooting boots on straight this game.

Most of our stars? I didn't see Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Eddie Lewis, Carlos Bocanegra, Cory Gibbs, or Claudio Reyna out there. It's too early to say anyone is a "lock" to start at the world cup, but those 6 guys are key players. Most likely all 6 will start. Beasley started this game on the bench. That's 7 likely starters who didn't begin this match. Donovon, Gooch, and Keller are the only likely starters who played against Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

lol! No, I'll stand by it, despite being an Arsenal Fan. They have improved over the last couple of seasons. But look over the Wenger reign and you will find they are number 1 by some measure. Yellows are yellows and I don't necessarily place a lot of stock in their numbers since many yellows can be the result of goal saving fouls. But Arsenal has seen 55+ (i've lost count) red cards under Wenger and it will take more than a season or two to polish up that image.

So you're going to sit back and accept it? Your choice, I guess.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairplay?league=ENG.1&year=2005&cc=5901

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Most of our stars? I didn't see Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Eddie Lewis, Carlos Bocanegra, Cory Gibbs, or Claudio Reyna out there.

That's a pretty liberal definition of a "star". I'm surprised you didn't add Bobby Convey while you were at it.

In my view, out of Reyna, Donovan, O'Brien, Beasely, McBride and Keller, 4 of the 6 were there. If you want to add Bocanegra its 4 out of 7. That's still a far higher percentage of your best players than ours was, and it was made worse by Hume's injury and McKenna's suspension. And further, your team has much more depth so you can replace those players a lot more easily than we can replace our best with. The drop from De Guzman to his replacement Leduc is so far that you could get vertigo from looking at it.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

So you're going to sit back and accept it? Your choice, I guess.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairplay?league=ENG.1&year=2005&cc=5901

Only because it is true. Yeah, I've seen all of the arguements on the net using various stats, intrepretation and the like. They don't hold a lot of water with me because I am not so concerned about yellows and subsequent reds resulting from hard or desperate challenges. Obviously a team like Blackburn, Bolton or Fulham who are always in a fight to keep their head above water, are going to take more of those from the run of play. Its inevitable. They don't have the talent to consistently hold off the attacks of much better teams with out resorting to fouls. But I doubt there is more than 3-4 teams below Aresenal in that particular fair play table over the past 4-5 years. Further, my real anguish about Arsenal and Canada's (recent) cards is that they are the result of foolishness. The dissent, the violent or retailatory conduct. That is what has plagued Arsenal over the past 5 years, including last year.

The bottom line is that I don't have a problem with a lot of the Yellows that Viera takes because he is a hard man, and it is part of what makes him great. But he has taken a lot for foolish retaliation or boneheaded moves and that is a real discipline issue. And, to reiterate, that is the part of Arsenal and Canada's recent record that I take issue with.

Archived