CONCACAF Referee's

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But you know what, its not concacaf's fault that our players all play in Europe/UK. Maybe we shoudl follow the edict: " when in Rome do as the Roman do".

Well I can not absolve CONCACAF from responsibility for allowing referees to choose their preference and interpret the rules on a whim. A physical game is legal, while diving is not. They are complicit because they do not choose to remind (and enforce) their referees that physical football is not illegal in and of itself. They accept diving (illegal) because it is part of their soccer culture, while punishing physical play (legal) because it is not. Basically, I think we have to change because the Confederation is corrupt and self serving and we have to beat them at their own game as a result. The US is doing this.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

But the refereeing has affected our results at this Gold Cup. Costa Rica scored a bogus goal, and the US should have played the entire second half 1 man down. How do these bad ref calls not change the result?

As for your question of a non-penalty call, Josh Simpson was body-checked in the American box after a long run. That play could have been called for a pk.

Was that the run in the first half where he collided with Eddie Pope you're referring to? If so, I would disagree that it was a PK. My memory of the incident is that once Pope got between Simpson and the ball, he merely shielded Simpson away from the ball. Did Pope make contact? Yeah. However, once his is between the attacker and the ball (and is still in playing distance of the ball, or at least making an attempt to play it) he has the right to shield Simpson away from the ball. The fact that Simpson was on a long run, in full stride and streching for the ball made the collision quite hard, but legal nonetheless. Had Pope made contact from behind or even across Simpson's body, there definitely would have been a case for a penalty.

I find this an interesting discussion, paticularly how Canada playing a distinct style (for the region) affects how our games are officiated.

I thought Prendergast had a weak game vs CR in the sense that the penalty call wasn't really in the spirit of the law and the caution for simulation to the CR player seemed, to me, a reaction to not wanting to toss McKenna for his challenge on the CR player. That's the only explanation I can see for the delay in presenting the card to the CR player. Prendergast even seemed to approach McKenna first. Simulation cards are normally encouraged to be given quickly and decisively.

Anyway, my only suggestion is that there is quite a bit more to refereeing at the level we are discussing than simply "making the right call" though that's alot of it! CONCACAF officials have a generally good reputation at the FIFA level and there's a reason for it.

Just watched the Simpson episode again, and to me it looks like Pope checks Simpson to gain a better position of the ball. In situations like that, the ref will call a penalty 50% of the time.

There are other bad calls as well (like the supposed offside that led to Keller handling the ball outside the box).

My main beef is that we seem to have an abnormal amount of calls against us, with very little levelling off. Its frustrating. And to say that these calls haven't had an effect on the outcome of our 2 games is outrageous imo.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Just watched the Simpson episode again, and to me it looks like Pope checks Simpson to gain a better position of the ball. In situations like that, the ref will call a penalty 50% of the time.

There are other bad calls as well (like the supposed offside that led to Keller handling the ball outside the box).

My main beef is that we seem to have an abnormal amount of calls against us, with very little levelling off. Its frustrating. And to say that these calls haven't had an effect on the outcome of our 2 games is outrageous imo.

Yeah, if you feel Pope made contact get to the ball, penalty for sure. I only saw it once but I thought right away and after the replay that Pope had gotten between Simpson and the ball just before the contact was made. I saw it as much Simpson going into Pope as the other way around, though Pope made contact as well.

I agree that the CR game was tough to swallow. When a defender gets a cross fired at his armpit from 10 yards away, I think it becomes harder for the ref to say that it was deliberate than the other way around. I don't think anybody would have seen it as a blunder if the ref would have played on in that situation. To gift a team a goal in that situation is real harsh.

One complaint I have with the last few games is how the refs have dealt with dissent. The guy from Trinidad (forgot his name) just had this air of unaproachability about him and I think a word with Serioux might have solved the problem better than a card. But, of course, we weren't on the pitch so who knows what happened or what was said.

A few minutes before his first card Serioux could be heard firing the f-word in the direction of the Ref when he was called for a phantom foul on a header he won (which also caused De Rosario to throw the ball away in disgust). I guess he kept chirping away as in the next stoppage in play (a Canadian goal kick) he was carded.

I have to say I don't think the Pope play was a penalty. I have seen them given for that, but its not something I would have done. We had enough calls going against us in this tourney to need to add that one to the list. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Prendergast is a gastly poor official. He might be concacaf's worst official. In 2001 his phantom "handball" call against Greg Vanney cost the US a point on the road. After watching the replay, unless Vanney had a hand coming out of his fore head anyone with more than two brain cells could see it wasn't a hand ball.

The best CONCACAF referee isn't a man, shes a women. Sonia Denoncourt retired recently and trueley she is a trademark for female referee's. And what about Benito Archundia he was a pretty crappy referee.

If I could pick one CONCACAF referee that I would like to officiate a game for Canada is Guatemala's Carlos Batres

Archived