Gerrard demands Liverpool exit... ...or has he?

Timotas

Looks like Gerrard wants out of Liverpool after all. Throughout the article it explains that he turned down a 100,000 EURO a WEEK to stay at Liverpool, which basically shows that he does want to leave Anfield. Chelsea seems to be favourite to get him. Gerrard with Lampard in the middle would be deadly and would only strengthen the English National Team.

Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Gerrard demands Liverpool exit

Liverpool claim Steven Gerrard 'has indicated' he wants to leave the club.

Gerrard's agent Struan Marshall contacted Reds' chief executive Rick Parry this lunchtime to inform him the £100,000-a-week offer made to the England international on Monday night was not enough to persuade him to stay.

While it is not thought Gerrard has put in an official transfer request, Parry has taken the snub as a sign of his desire to leave Anfield, with Chelsea lining up a fresh bid after their initial British record £32million offer for the 25-year-old was rejected last night.

'The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield,' said an official club.

'Sadly, he has told us this afternoon that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool.

'We very much regret the decision that has been taken.'

At a hastily-convened meeting at Liverpool's Melwood training base last night, Parry followed up manager Rafael Benitez's earlier comments that he wanted Gerrard to stay with the club 'for the rest of his life' by attempting to make him the highest-paid player in Reds history.

Gerrard slept on his decision overnight, then turned up for training on Tuesday morning, although by then the die had presumably been cast.

'We desperately want to keep Stevie and we have told him we don't want him to leave,' Parry told the Liverpool Echo.

'However, in rejecting our offer of a new contract he has indicated he wants to go.'

However, the word from Anfield is that they will not allow Gerrard to leave until he has submitted a formal transfer request, although given the hardening of attitudes, and Chelsea's obvious desire to sign him, such a move appears to be just a matter of time.

So far, Chelsea have refused to enter any public debate on Gerrard other than to confirm they had made a bid.

The Premiership champions said: 'Following comments from Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry this morning, Chelsea can confirm that the club has made an offer to Liverpool for the transfer of Steven Gerrard.'

'The terms of that offer are confidential.'

Real Madrid have also confirmed their interest and with fellow Englishmen David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate already at the Bernabeu, a switch to Spain cannot be ruled out.

Although Real's director of football Arrigo Sacchi said on Monday: 'Until the player makes a move we are not going to be involved in a fight for his services.'

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been an admirer of the Gerrard and a cheeky approach from Manchester United can not be ruled out. United are armed with a more flexible transfer budget than previously thought following the glazer takeover.

However, Ferguson does know the odds on any player leaving Liverpool for United are high, let alone one with Gerrard's Anfield pedigree.

This all places Jose Mourinho as firm favourite to add Gerrard to a dream midfield which already includes Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard.

Backed by Roman Abramovich's seemingly limitless funds, Mourinho could break the £40million barrier to land Gerrard, shattering the previous highest deal between two English clubs, the £29.1million Manchester United paid Leeds for Rio Ferdinand in 2002.

Tuesday, July 5, 2005

'Where is the loyalty?' ask Reds fans

Liverpool's Champions League triumph last season has been 'tainted' by captain Steven Gerrard's decision to leave Anfield, according to supporters.

Gerrard led the Reds to European glory against the odds after rejecting a move to Chelsea 12 months ago, choosing instead to try to win trophies with the only club he has played for.

Today, however, the Reds have revealed their talisman has made it clear he will not sign a new contract despite an offer of £100,000 per week and, according to the club, he has told them he wants to leave.

Liverpool have already rejected a bid of around £32million from Chelsea for the England star but Les Lawson, of the Liverpool International Supporters' Association, insisted he should not be sold for less than £40million.

'He's lifted the European Cup, but it is definitely tainted. It would be saved a bit if he went abroad to Real Madrid but if he goes to another Premiership club, he'll definitely be tainted,' Lawson told the Press Association.

'No one player is bigger than Liverpool Football Club. If winning the European Cup is not competing at the highest level, and winning winning major trophies, I don't know what is.

'He has turned down £100,000 a week; I'm still paying off my credit card bill and thousands of Liverpool supporters are the same from going to Istanbul to cheer him on and he is turning down £100,000 per week to play for the team that he is supposed to have supported since he was a kid.

'He is supposed to be a boyhood Red. As far as I'm concerned he's not. If he wants to leave Liverpool, last season they were after him three times to sign a new contract and he was saying `wait, wait'.

'He's won every major honour with Liverpool except the Premier League title, which is not bad going for a team that can't compete at the highest level,' Lawson said.

Asked why Gerrard might want to leave so badly, Lawson was at a loss to answer.

'Who knows why? Obviously he's going to get more money at other clubs than Liverpool but I just think he thinks he is bigger than Liverpool FC. I'd just like to tell him he's not. He's a fantastic footballer, don't get me wrong, but he's not bigger than the club. Nobody is.

'Where is the loyalty? I don't want any player who does not want to play for us. If he wants to go, then go. But I'm very sad because he is a class player.'

Lawson insisted the club were not to blame for the current situation and believes agents have played a significant role in his decision to move on.

'What have Liverpool done wrong? Liverpool asked him to stay three times and he said wait. After the Champions League final he said he wanted to stay, Liverpool wanted to keep him, so what was the problem? Obviously he's been looking for an excuse to get out.

'He is going, but he is not going with his head held high.

'The ball is in Liverpool's court. I wouldn't sell him for less than £40million. If Chelsea come in I'd ask them for £40million plus William Gallas and Damien Duff. That's what I'd look for. With the money, I'd go out and buy Shaun Wright-Phillips, Michael Ballack and maybe Ruben Baraja. You are not going to replace him with one player.

'It's a very sad day for Liverpool Football Club. I feel bitterly disappointed that he has decided to do this. I just hope Jamie Carragher, who is a player who deserves to wear the red shirt, is given the captaincy.'

Both articles I posted above are from soccernet.com

Gerrard was basically pushed out, as Benitez has been shopping him around for the last 6 weeks so he can have the cash to build the club in his image. This two-faced stuff from Benitez and the club about wanting to keep Gerrard "period" is just so much hornswaggle to placate the incendiary and gullible LFC fans. If Gerrard has "insisted" now on leaving it's probably just because he is fed up with the double talk ( a similiar thing happened with Owen ). A report from Liverpool's financial advisers leaked a few days ago said that Liverpool is in worse shape than originally thought and the Champion's League windfall would not cover Benitez's acquisition plans at all, and that they would need a major transfer fee coming in to even begin to fund it. The latest "offer" to Gerrard only came in after they made sure he wouldn't accept it.

I'm not saying Gerrard is blameless in this, but, come-on, how manipulated are we gonna be?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Gerrard was basically pushed out, as Benitez has been shopping him around for the last 6 weeks so he can have the cash to build the club in his image. This two-faced stuff from Benitez and the club about wanting to keep Gerrard "period" is just so much hornswaggle to placate the incendiary and gullible LFC fans. If Gerrard has "insisted" now on leaving it's probably just because he is fed up with the double talk ( a similiar thing happened with Owen ). A report from Liverpool's financial advisers leaked a few days ago said that Liverpool is in worse shape than originally thought and the Champion's League windfall would not cover Benitez's acquisition plans at all, and that they would need a major transfer fee coming in to even begin to fund it. The latest "offer" to Gerrard only came in after they made sure he wouldn't accept it.

I'm not saying Gerrard is blameless in this, but, come-on, how manipulated are we gonna be?

Apparently I'm not the only one who's paranoid ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

I am in Spain, but happen to agree that Benítez is going overboard in hiring Spaniards and those playing in Spain (Mark Gonzalez, who is quite good however). This ends up sending a negative message to your local boys, who see themselves more and more in the minority, out of the cliques that were once simply the feeling of being part of a team you grew up with; it is bad for the reserve and youth players too.

Don't know if this is related to the Gerrard move, but could be.

In any case, Benítez has yet to sign a really top Spaniard, mostly are simply quite good leftovers (Luis Garcia from Barça, Morientes from Madrid) or players still building their potential (Reina). Has he really been given the green light to imitate what Wenger did at Arsenal with all those Frenchmen?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Benítez has yet to sign a really top Spaniard

liverpool_2_27915a.jpg

That being said, you do have a point that the Spanish influx could cause issues. I personally disagree, particularly since Liverpool wasnt exactly very English when Benitez came in.

What this looks like to me personally is an ego clash. Gerrard thinks very highly of himself, and there is plenty of evidence of this. Last year when he pushed Houllier into starting Danny Murphy, his goal celebration where he ran to the Kop angrily screaming "Im the greating man", plus numerous anecdotes about him snubbing fans in public.

This is a quote from the other day from Rafa Benitez, it seems pretty consistent: "I renew my deal with Liverpool in four or five years and when I do I would like Stevie to be my next coach, assistant manager and maybe even the next manager after me. He can even have the chief scout position if he wants it."

This paints a pretty obvious picture, Gerrard didnt like Rafa's transfer policy/who was coming in this summer.

Now on top of this, we had Gerrard almost leaving over the summer (until Jamie Carragher beat some sense into him, rumoured to be literally), him refusing to shoot down transfer rumours, turning down three opportunities to open negotiations on a new deal, and now refusing a deal which would pay him over five million pounds a year which would far and away make him the highest paid Liverpool player and would have come very close to the cash which Chelsea could offer

Add it up, sounds like a player who wanted to leave and just wouldnt admit it.

Quite frankly, for forty million pounds Liverpool can buy a more than adequate replacement on top of a couple more players. In addition it allows the real leader of the team, Jamie Carragher assume the captaincy. I would have loved him to stay, but hes nowhere as good as he thinks he is, and Liverpool will do just fine without him.

As for homegrown players, considering all the academy grads weve had who have jumped ship on the club (Macmanaman, Owen and Gerrard notably) maybe its time for the British tabloids to stop referring to imported players as the mercenaries. Is it just me, or does this sort of thing (players who "love their hometown club" splitting) happen a hell of a lot more in England than anywhere else?

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Is it just me, or does this sort of thing (players who "love their hometown club" splitting) happen a hell of a lot more in England than anywhere else?

I think it happens with all clubs from all different countries. Of course it is more likely to happen in poorer countries with great home-grown talent, such as Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, etc.

But the rest of the points you make are very valid. To me, Gerrard is the best centre midfielder in England (Lampard is a close second). After all of this, it's probably best he does leave Liverpool; where Liverpool can build and buy two or three noteworthy players who can help them secure another Champions League position. If Gerrard does go to Chelsea, it'd be interesting to see what kind of treatment he gets from the LFC Fans... horrible treatment I'd imagine. If he goes to Madrid, it's a different story obviously.

If you read the bolded parts, they're very interesting. Already fans burning Gerrard shirts outside of Anfield. Wouldn't be surprised if he got many death threats in the next few days.

Gerrard anguish at Anfield exit

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his anguish at quitting Liverpool - but that pain is nothing compared to the misery of the supporters he has rejected.

Just 41 days after he lifted the European Cup and declared his intention to stay at Anfield, Gerrard has told Reds officials he wants to leave.

While his precise destination remains unknown, it appears to be only a matter of time before Chelsea increase the £32million offer which was rejected by Liverpool this morning and add the England international to their Premiership-winning squad.

After Gerrard's agent Struan Marshall informed Reds chief executive Rick Parry of the 25-year-old's decision to snub a £100,000-a-week contract offer which would have made him the highest paid player in the club's history, Liverpool insiders privately claimed it is immaterial whether a formal transfer request is lodged or not. The battle to keep him is lost.

``The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life and the decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make,'' Gerrard told Sky Sports News.

``I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League Final but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

``I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slagging match.''

It is now obvious Gerrard was starting to have doubts over his long-term future even as the celebrations following Liverpool's stunning triumph in Istanbul began.

Those fears were exacerbated by a failure to open discussions over a new deal.

And when he arrived for negotiations with Parry last Wednesday to extend a contract which still has two years to run and instead of being offered a deal he was asked what terms he wanted, the player's patience snapped beyond repair.

Stunned by such a swift downturn in the relationship, Parry had hoped to salvage the situation with his big-money offer last night, but the news he dreaded was relayed to him by Marshall at lunchtime, shortly after Gerrard had driven out of Liverpool's Melwood training complex - possibly for the last time.

``We have done our best but it does look pretty final,'' a dejected Parry told Sky Sports News.

``He wanted success and presumably felt he would get success elsewhere - it is our job to prove him wrong.

``I did say to him, think of Istanbul, think of the fans.''

Those fans, who believed they shared a common goal with a player they regarded as one of their own, are now freely venting their disgust.

A shirt bearing Gerrard's name was burned outside Anfield and if he subsequently opts to stay in the Premiership, Gerrard can expect a hot reception when he returns.

``He is supposed to be a boyhood Red,'' said Les Lawson, spokesman for the Liverpool International Supporters' Club. ``As far as I am concerned he is not.

``He has turned down £100,000 a week; I am still paying off my credit card bill from going to Istanbul to cheer him on and thousands of Liverpool supporters are the same.

``He is turning down £100,000 a week to play for the team he is supposed to have supported since he was a kid. Where is the loyalty in that? He is going, but he is not going with his head held high.''

Only yesterday, with Parry's backing, manager Rafael Benitez stated his desire for Gerrard to stay with Liverpool for the remainder of his career, possibly eventually as manager. That dream lasted less than 24 hours.

With Gerrard highly unlikely to consider a move to Manchester United even if long-time admirer Sir Alex Ferguson was prompted into making a cheeky move, and Real Madrid unwilling to make overt advances to a player they believe is heading elsewhere, Chelsea appear to be the only plausible suitor.

So, far from finding themselves at the centre of a bidding war, Liverpool could now discover they are engaged in a high-stakes game of brinkmanship.

Now resigned to losing his captain and talisman, manager Benitez will be eager to use the cash to reinforce his squad still further following yesterday's arrival of Bolo Zenden, Jose Reina, Mark Gonzales and Antonio Barragan.

But the Spaniard knows Chelsea can afford to wait and test Liverpool's patience by refusing to go anywhere near the British record £40million Parry and his fellow directors are looking for.

If the matter drags on another week, Benitez would be in the uncomfortable position of having to decide whether to name Gerrard in his side for the Champions League qualifier against Total Network Solution, a move that would cup-tie him from all European competitions for the remainder of the campaign.

Such a move would appear unlikely given the massive effect it would have on Gerrard's value and all the indications are the issue will be resolved far more speedily, probably by the end of the week, much to the frustration of everyone at the Merseyside giants.

``I don't imagine it is just going to be one club bidding for Gerrard,'' added Parry optimistically.

``It is only one day, although one day makes a big difference in negotiations as we have seen.''

This is a follow up from SOCCERNET.com

Guest Jeffery S.

So today the news is exactly the reverse and Gerrard is said to have accepted 100,000 pounds a week.

In the end it is good he stays, but I am not sure that he is so clearly better than the rest that he deserves to be the highest paid player by far (though I had heard that Luis Garcia was making over half that, which is quite good, not sure if it is true).

From football365.com (If anyone's wondering what Jefferey is talking about)

Gerrard ready to sign deal

Wednesday July 06 2005

Steven Gerrard drove into Liverpool's Melwood training ground this afternoon hoping to finally get the chance to pledge his future to the Anfield outfit.

Barely 24 hours after Gerrard had informed Red's chief executive Rick Parry of his intention to leave, he is now expected to sign a four-year contract and complete an extraordinary and unexpected u-turn.

Twelve months ago, Gerrard found himself in a similar situation when it was widely believed he would sign for Chelsea.

This morning, the 25-year-old woke up in his Merseyside home and once again had second thoughts over a career which looked set to send him to Stamford Bridge by the end of the week.

He informed Parry of his decision to stay this morning and has now pledged never to put the loyal supporters who barracked him into a similar situation again.

"The last five or six weeks were the hardest of my life because I wrongly believed the club did not want me,'' he told the Liverpool Echo.

"I do not want to get into attaching blame to anyone. If I blame anyone it is myself.

"I wanted my future sorting out as soon as possible after the Champions League final but the longer it went on the more misunderstandings there were.

"I will be signing a deal, maybe even today. This will not happen again next summer or ever again as far as I'm concerned.''

This is the latest twist in an amazing six weeks since Liverpool lifted the European Cup with their amazing triumph over AC Milan in Istanbul.

At the time, Gerrard said he could not leave but with no contract offer Forthcoming, he slowly started to believe his future lay elsewhere.

Supporters gathering outside Melwood this morning remained sceptical over Gerrard's motives, with one even hanging a "Judas'' banner from the training ground wall.

However, by lunchtime attitudes towards the Reds skipper had softened as when Gerrard drove into the complex as most of his team-mates were leaving following a training session he had been given permission to miss, the cheers were loud and long.

Whether such a welcome would be afforded to his agent Struan Marshall is debatable.

Most supporters believe Marshall to be the instigator of Gerrard's discontent, although the Huyton-born midfield player absolved him of any blame.

"I feel I must defend my agent Struan Marshall in this,'' he said.

"He has taken a lot of stick but all along he has never done anything I did not ask him to.

"He is well respected at Liverpool and has done deals for me and other players in the past. He has conducted himself in the right way.

"He is a big factor in my decision to stay.

"I have committed my long-term future to the club and now I just want all this speculation to end - that is what I wanted all along.''

Guest Jeffery S.

While we are on the Reds, re Mark Gonzalez the Chile winger. Very fast young player who can do a bit of damage up the left side, really someone to do what Kewell was not able to this last year. Quite smart too, ambitious and creative on the field, scored a tricky header vs. Barca this year on a long flick. He is still a bit of a project because of his youth but I think may turn into a good signing for Liverpool -and maybe for a Chile side at the World Cup.

Still think, for all this, that Liverpool needs a stronger striker. Unless Morientes really comes around and shows he can adjust to the English game.

Unconvincing win for Reds

Saturday July 09 2005

Steven Gerrard ended the most turbulent week of his life on a high as Liverpool warmed up to face Total Network Solutions with an unconvincing 4-3 victory at Wrexham.

Having signed a new four-year, £100,000 a week deal on Friday, the Reds captain celebrated by parading the European Cup around the Racecourse Ground with Jamie Carragher before playing the opening half.

Fernando Morientes and Milan Baros both scored two goals apiece, while new signings Jose Reina and Bolo Zenden also played the opening half.

But the real intrigue lay in the reception afforded to Gerrard by Liverpool fans just four days after he expressed his desire to end his 17-year association with the club.

The 25-year-old indicated on Tuesday the time was right to quit Anfield, prompting angry supporters to burn a replica Gerrard shirt.

Having spent a sleepless night at his home agonising over leaving his boyhood club Gerrard performed an astonishing U-turn in the early hours of Wednesday by deciding to remain a Liverpool player.

The chanting of his name and constant applause throughout his 45 minutes on the pitch suggested his signature has largely placated the club's supporters.

However, Wednesday's clash at Anfield against Welsh minnows TNS may provide a more accurate barometer of his status with the Kop.

Archived