June 30- Portland- Impact [R]

1-0 , Montreal, Grande scores in 48th minute (strong free-kick from 40 yards away!), Sutton gets his 50th regular season shut-out for Montreal, before 5,435 spectators at PGE Park in Portland.

mon063005-1gs.jpg

For video of the goal, see Allision's post on uslfans.com:

postwithvideourls

Apparently, there was a fracas after the goal.

Impact edge Portland 1-0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal Impact News Release - www.montrealimpact.com

Thursday, June 30, 2005

PORTLAND, OR -- The Montreal Impact (6-0-4) remained undefeated in ten games by beating the Portland Timbers (5-5-3) 1-0, on Thursday, at PGE Park in Portland, in front of 5435 spectators.

SUMMARY

Midfielder Sandro Grande scored the game-winning goal in the 58th minute, surprising Timbers goalkeeper Josh Saunders with a free kick from 40 yards.

It was Grande’s second consecutive game-winning goal since his return from a groin injury that had sidelined him for five games. Grande also scored the game-winner on a free kick last Wednesday, in a 4-2 win over the Charleston Battery at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex.

In the 5th minute, the Timbers’ Hugo Alcazar-Cuellar created the first scoring opportunity of the game by hammering a free kick from outside the box. Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton just got enough of the ball to tip the shot over the crossbar.

A few minutes later, Impact defender Adam Braz crossed the ball towards the center of the box, where forward Ali Gerba stood waiting. Gerba’s header grazed the outside of the right post.

Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton earned his seventh shutout of the season and registered his 50th career shutout during the regular season.

With the win, the Impact is now tied with the Vancouver Whitecaps for second place in the USL First Division standings with 22 points. Montreal has three games in hand on Bob Lilley’s squad.

After the game, Impact players Greg Sutton, Adam Braz, Gabriel Gervais, Sandro Grande, Patrick Leduc and Ali Gerba left Portland for Vancouver where they will join the Canadian national team for an exhibition game against Honduras, Saturday, in preparation for the Gold Cup Tournament, which kicks off July 6 in the United States.

The Impact returns home on July 3 to face the Seattle Sounders in a rematch of last year’s championship final. (19h CKAC, CJAD).

COMMENTS

Head coach Nick De Santis: “It’s a great team win. Everything worked well tonight, especially our collective play. After our last game, players were confident offensively and we created many scoring opportunities. Sandro’s goal was incredible and allowed us to earn three additional points on the road.”

Sandro Grande: “We played very well, especially in the first half. We moved the ball well and we created good scoring chances. On my goal, the goalkeeper thought I would cross the ball so I decided to shoot straight on net. Last year in Syracuse, I had tried the same thing but I hit the crossbar. This time, I really wanted to succeed.I put some spin on the ball. I am really proud of the team tonight.”

That was certainly terrible keeping on the goal but good on Grande for seeing he was out of position and taking advantage. The Portland player who started the ruckus should have been red carded. Celebrating in front of opposition fans is part of soccer and if it is done inappropriately it is up to the ref to take action. Attacking a player running by you from behind before any celebration has even begun is a clear red card offence in my books.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That was certainly terrible keeping on the goal but good on Grande for seeing he was out of position and taking advantage. The Portland player who started the ruckus should have been red carded. Celebrating in front of opposition fans is part of soccer and if it is done inappropriately it is up to the ref to take action. Attacking a player running by you from behind before any celebration has even begun is a clear red card offence in my books.

I dunno about that it one thing to celebrate on the sidelines but it's another thing to run right through the opposing team and across the field to celebrate.

Come on Sean, I know you Lynx fans are the epitome of gentlemen but I am sure the Impact celebration probably had nothing to do with the nice, gentlemanly reception they received from the Portland fans. They look so kind and innocent throwing their cups on the field and lifting up the fan control barriers during the altercation. If I am a player constantly being harrassed during the game and we take the lead I would run to the opposing teams fans and rub it in too. I have seen this a thousand times in soccer (Best Canadian example Pesch playing and opposing fans chanting his wife is a whore the whole game until he scores the only goal just before time and runs to their end and gives them all the British two fingers for several minutes). I have no problem with the Portland fans creating some home field atmosphere but don't bitch if there is a reaction from the opposing team. On field behaviour is the ref's concern and if the Impact do something wrong (which they did not) they should be carded and not attacked by the opposing players who were mostly just mad they let in a cheap goal. I guess you just prefere the Lynx game atmosphere with your cheerleaders and bad teenage pop punk bands Sean. Real Toronto class!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Come on Sean, I know you Lynx fans are the epitome of gentlemen but I am sure the Impact celebration probably had nothing to do with the nice, gentlemanly reception they received from the Portland fans. They look so kind and innocent throwing their cups on the field and lifting up the fan control barriers during the altercation. If I am a player constantly being harrassed during the game and we take the lead I would run to the opposing teams fans and rub it in too. I have seen this a thousand times in soccer (Best Canadian example Pesch playing and opposing fans chanting his wife is a whore the whole game until he scores the only goal just before time and runs to their end and gives them all the British two fingers for several minutes). I have no problem with the Portland fans creating some home field atmosphere but don't bitch if there is a reaction from the opposing team. On field behaviour is the ref's concern and if the Impact do something wrong (which they did not) they should be carded and not attacked by the opposing players who were mostly just mad they let in a cheap goal. I guess you just prefere the Lynx game atmosphere with your cheerleaders and bad teenage pop punk bands Sean. Real Toronto class!

In case you didn't notice (and apparently you didn't) Sean's post wasn't about Impact players taunting opposing fans, but seemingly taunting the opposing players that you have already just embarassed. It does look like Grande is taunting the keeper he just embarassed before he was attacked, which would indicate a lack of sportsmanship on his part. So I have no idea where you pulled this diatribe about atmosphere created by the fans in the stands from in response to Sean - it doesn't relate at all to what he was talking about.

As I said though, if Grande does the same for Canada during the Gold Cup I'll be the first to chant his name. There's nothing wrong with having arrogant players on the pitch, as long as they play for the team I'm supporting! ;)

Whether they are taunting the fans or players I don't think this type of behaviour comes out of nothing. None of us saw the whole game but I think the Impact were playing in a hostile atmosphere against a hostile team whether fans or players. Noone saw the whole game so noone should be bitching at the Impact for celebrating a goal in that fashion and getting attacked by an opposing player from behind. As far as I know celebrating a goal is not an offence and not a justifiction for being attacked from behind. Of all people Sean tried to create an enemy atmospere against Belize in Kingston. Some of the other sit on your ass Canadian spectators thought we were not classy in this but I do not agree. This is part of soccer and I did my best to support him in this. If Belize had scored and came and gave us all the finger this would also be part of the game. Either you are a boisterous supporter or not but don't be hypocritical because I have seen Sean celebrate goals boisterously and chant things that certain people may find offensive so don't go saying Impact players are classless when your pot is just as black and you claim not to enjoy the juvenile and inoffensive marketing of the Lynx.

Aggressively taunting the enemy supports will get you in trouble. Happens, as Grizzly wrote, all the time. And, gets punished all-the-time. But that's the league or ref's domain.

If some on field twat takes it upon himself then that's quite another thing. And he should be in bigger trouble than the fool who over dose his celebration.

Ha. Still. Sorry, but I can't help myself. Funny as all Hell to see. Just watch yourself next time. If you're gonna be an ass in front of the enemy supports just remember some of them got better missiles than beer cups.

Archived