Gold Cup 2005 , Schedule and Results [R]

beachesl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

Don't be surprised if Honduras stuffs the US today. We're great at beating them 4-0 in friendlies but with money on the table, Hejduk and Vanney at outside back and Mr. Grated Romano on the bench, we'll be struggling.

Too bad that didn't happen! :D

United States 2

Honduras 1

USA! USA!

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

You are correct.

It's time they started to rotate the Gold Cup to other countries and eliminate the guest teams.

It makes CONCACAF look like a farce.

While I agree about the guest teams, the USA is the only country that can draw for 90% of these teams (hell, CANADA can't even draw for Canada). I can't imagine Costa-Rica/Jamaica getting 30k people anywhere other than their own country and the US.

The US will meet Panama in the final after the latter defeated Colombia 3-2 in the other semi-final.

Panama is sucking in the Hex as we thought, but they still appear to be a steadily improving squad overall. Based on their results recently they are currently ahead of where we are.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

While I agree about the guest teams, the USA is the only country that can draw for 90% of these teams (hell, CANADA can't even draw for Canada). I can't imagine Costa-Rica/Jamaica getting 30k people anywhere other than their own country and the US.

Do we rotate WYC Qualifying ? Do we play all our World Cup Qualifying in the USA ?

The fact that they MAY draw more than other countries is hardly a reason to give them pernial home field advantage.

If we can rotate all of our other regional tournaments, then there is no arguement to make in having the Gold Cup permanently in the US.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The US will meet Panama in the final after the latter defeated Colombia 3-2 in the other semi-final.

Panama is sucking in the Hex as we thought, but they still appear to be a steadily improving squad overall. Based on their results recently they are currently ahead of where we are.

Panama has now beat South Africa and Colombia in successive matches. They are by far the most improved concacaf team. I would not be suprised at all to see them qualify for the world cup. After all they are only 2 points out of third place with 5 matches to go.

Do we rotate WYC Qualifying ? Do we play all our World Cup Qualifying in the USA ?

The fact that they MAY draw more than other countries is hardly a reason to give them pernial home field advantage.

If we can rotate all of our other regional tournaments, then there is no arguement to make in having the Gold Cup permanently in the US.

There is an argument and it revolves around money. The difference with the WYC Qual. is that the WYC Qual. wouldn't draw well anywhere including the U.S. So there isn't the same temptation.

Its not like the USA has any significant home-advantage if they were to play Mexico or Colombia in New York. Since they're playing Panama they'll have an advantage. But then again so did Colombia against Panama.

Anyway, I'm bored with this tournament (every two years *sigh*). That being said I'm still going to the final (free ticket). GO PANAMA!

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

Panama has now beat South Africa and Colombia in successive matches. They are by far the most improved concacaf team. I would not be suprised at all to see them qualify for the world cup. After all they are only 2 points out of third place with 5 matches to go.

Actually they are two points out of 4th place. But they would beat the snot out of the Asian playoff team if they can make it there. I wouldn't be nearly as confident with T&T or Guatamala in the playoff.

[Do we rotate WYC Qualifying ? Do we play all our World Cup Qualifying in the USA ?

The argument is a financial one. The Gold Cup is corporately owned I believe, and the organizers put it on where they feel they have the best chance of making money. World Cup qualifying of course isn't owned by a corporation but run by FIFA.

I agree with what your saying in principle, but the problem stems from the company that owns the rights to the Gold Cup (Inter/Forever is their name, I believe but I could be wrong).

Playing every tournament in the US is akin to Canada playing every game in Edmonton or Vancouver cause they know how many people they will get and it will be pro-Canada. So in otherwords short-sighted.

The Gold Cup could be used to grow the game in the smaller Caribbean and Central American countries, and of course a certain country in the North.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The argument is a financial one. The Gold Cup is corporately owned I believe, and the organizers put it on where they feel they have the best chance of making money. World Cup qualifying of course isn't owned by a corporation but run by FIFA.

I agree with what your saying in principle, but the problem stems from the company that owns the rights to the Gold Cup (Inter/Forever is their name, I believe but I could be wrong).

Well, Inter/Forever runs it, but it should be actually owned by CONCACAF. You're right, as long as a private company runs (or owns) it, the bottom line will be the most important.

The Gold Cup really is a pain in the ass. It messes with MLS. It's held too often. And it's run by Concacaf.

I couldn't care less if they played it in Trinidad or Cuba or Uranium City. But the immigrant communities in the US are so large that Concacaf chooses to keep it here to milk the homesick and give them an experience in triumphalism.

Move it to Ottawa. I couldn't care less if you did.

Before this gets out of hand, I just made the remark cause of his little "immigrant community" comment.

I don't really agree with this "we are all immigrants" stuff cause if that's the case, then with the exception of a few million Africans, all 6-billion people in the world are immigrants.

Anyhow, back on topic: USA vs. Panama. So who's gonna win? :D

quote:Originally posted by Elias

then with the exception of a few million Africans, all 6-billion people in the world are immigrants.

Of course, this is assuming that we are not the product of aliens (and by "aliens", I mean the extra-terrestial sort)[^]

I think the solution to the Gold Cup is the scrap it and merge with Copa America. Have a 16 team tournament like the European Championships. The 10 South American countries, US, and Mexico would get automatic invites and have a concacaf qualification for the other 4 spots. That would get the 16 best teams. Divide it into 4 groups of 4, with the top 2 advancing. It eliminates that stupid coin toss. Every single match would draw well, and you could rotate it to different countries. Of course Jack Warner will never allow this to happen because T&T would never qualify and he'd never make any money from it.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Playing every tournament in the US is akin to Canada playing every game in Edmonton or Vancouver cause they know how many people they will get and it will be pro-Canada. So in otherwords short-sighted.

The Gold Cup could be used to grow the game in the smaller Caribbean and Central American countries, and of course a certain country in the North.

No Carribbean or Central American country has enough quality stadiums to host such an event. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see my team playing on half dirt pitches with the lines painted on.

Archived