Gold Cup 2005 , Schedule and Results [R]

beachesl

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-0 is still ok, we just need to beat cuba 3-0, which is very doable. at least we will have a chance, and know what we need to aim for. if t and t won we would essentially have been out.

A ray of hope. Destiny is in the boys' own hands, since they can now make their own luck. Cuba may well be in turmoil with the defections and all, plus being more or less eliminated already. Our boys can do this. Get a quick goal, in the first 20 minutes, and I think it will happen.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Anybody else feel a whole lot better about our chances of a coin toss victory over Colombia than they do if it were against T&T?

:D Good point G-L. Never bet against Jack, especially when he makes the rules.

If I were Yallop I would have already designated a member of the delegation to be responsible to make an arse of himself if necessary in order to ensure that a coin toss (if needed) is done in a public and fair manner. If we don't watch it those buggers might try to guarantee Colombia a spot, hoping for higher ratings.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

If I were Yallop I would have already designated a member of the delegation to be responsible to make an arse of himself if necessary in order to ensure that a coin toss (if needed) is done in a public and fair manner. If we don't watch it those buggers might try to guarantee Colombia a spot, hoping for higher ratings.

I hear ya Dave. Colombia is a much bigger stadium draw in Houston and much better TV ratings. Gold Cup and Concacough is all about bucks.

How ironic would a coin toss be? The CONCACAF finally changing the format of the tournament and having group of 4 instead of 3 and couldn't avoid the freaking coin toss, which always involve Canada and a guest team (Ecuador and Haiti in 2002 and SK in 2000).

Maybe CONCACAF should go to a 16 teams tournament and eliminating the guest team, avoiding the coin toss........

Since the two teams potentially involved in a coin toss are in different cities, where would the coin toss be held? The only way to ensure fairness is to have a Canadian rep there to personally observe the coin toss. Watch them try to hold it in the CONCACAF head office, in private.

Anyway, to hell with this, let's just score four!

EDIT >> I just had a horrible thought. If the coin toss "designated observer" was Kevan Pipe, he'd probably be happy to participate in a fraud to gyp Canada out of a spot, since then the CSA budget could save on hotel expense for the players. Arrgghhhh, I gotta stop being so paranoid. Goes with the territory I guess...

I'm cheering for Panama by default. No way I'm gonna cheer for Colombia to win OUR confederation championship, no way I'm gonna cheer for Honduras to win anything after the WCQ, and since this is intra-confederation I don't have to cheer for the USA any more than any other team.

The USA will win, I'm quite sure... but go PANAMA!!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Panama win on penalties! Crazy tournament.

Not really that surprising. Panama has been consistently getting better relative to the other Concacaf teams. Expect to see them in the final.

Anyway, the tournament is over for me. The football is just too poor to bear even in these desperate times with nothing else to watch.

Archived