Thu Jul 07 07:30PM Central

Thu Jul 07 08:30PM Eastern

Thu Jul 07 09:30PM Atlantic

Thu Jul 07 10:00PM Newfoundland

Length: 2 hr LIVE

Rogers Sportsnet - Rogers Digital Cable exclusive alternate feed - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup/Copa Oro

Costa Rica vs Canada

And what, pray tell, is the "Rogers Digital Cable exclusive alternate feed"? Is this just the normal four regional Sportsnets available on digital cable and satellite? Or are they going to withhold this from satellite subscribers??

quote:Thu Jul 07 05:30PM Pacific

Thu Jul 07 06:30PM Mountain

Thu Jul 07 07:30PM Central

Thu Jul 07 08:30PM Eastern

Thu Jul 07 09:30PM Atlantic

Thu Jul 07 10:00PM Newfoundland

Length: 2 hr LIVE

Rogers Sportsnet - West (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NT) - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup/Copa Oro

Costa Rica vs Canada

Thu Jul 07 07:00PM Pacific

Thu Jul 07 08:00PM Mountain

Thu Jul 07 09:00PM Central

Thu Jul 07 10:00PM Eastern

Thu Jul 07 11:00PM Atlantic

Thu Jul 07 11:30PM Newfoundland

Length: 2 hr SDD

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Costa Rica vs Canada

Something wrong with those times. The SDD broadcast starts before the live game finishes.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

I guess it's one of soccerbeasts' other alias's :)

I am basing this on the quality of our team and the opponents we will play. I could hope that we get 3 wins but I have to be objective and not base the results on emotion of rooting for Canada. Our previous record speaks for itself unfortunately.

Cuba-Canada match on TV in Canada on Tuesday, apparently same deal as with Costa Rica match tomorrow:

Tue Jul 12 06:00PM Pacific

Tue Jul 12 07:00PM Mountain

Tue Jul 12 08:00PM Central

Tue Jul 12 09:00PM Eastern

Tue Jul 12 10:00PM Atlantic

Tue Jul 12 10:30PM Newfoundland

Length: 2 hr 30 min LIVE

Rogers Sportsnet - Pacific (British Columbia, Yukon) - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

Rogers Sportsnet - Rogers Digital Cable exclusive alternate channel - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

Tue Jul 12 10:00PM Pacific

Tue Jul 12 11:00PM Mountain

Wed Jul 13 12:00AM Central

Wed Jul 13 01:00AM Eastern

Wed Jul 13 02:00AM Atlantic

Wed Jul 13 02:30AM Newfoundland

Rogers Sportsnet - East (Quebec, Atlantic Provinces) - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

Rogers Sportsnet - Ontario - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

Tue Jul 12 11:00PM Pacific

Wed Jul 13 12:00AM Mountain

Wed Jul 13 01:00AM Central

Wed Jul 13 02:00AM Eastern

Wed Jul 13 03:00AM Atlantic

Wed Jul 13 03:30AM Newfoundland

Rogers Sportsnet - Pacific (British Columbia, Yukon) - Canada

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Canada vs Cuba

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

While I told many people that I thought Panama would be the surprise team of this year's Gold Cup, I did not think they would beat Colombia. This is shocking. Good for Panama. I think this is the dark horse team of the tournament.

Should have thrown in with those 501-1 odds on a flyer!

Panama 1, Colombia 0

July 6, 2005

MIAMI (AP) -- Luis Tejada's goal midway through the second half gave Panama a 1-0 victory over Colombia in the opening CONCACAF Gold Cup match Wednesday night.

Goalkeeper Jaime Penedo made five critical saves to preserve the shutout as Panama won its first Gold Cup game since the tournament's creation in 1991.

Tejada received a crossing pass from Julio Medina deep in the goal area and headed in a shot past diving Colombian goalkeeper Farid Mondragon in the 70th minute.

Colombia had one serious scoring threat following Tejada's goal but Penedo deflected Aldo Ramirez's shot outside the 6-yard box in the 78th minute.

Panama and Colombia are in Group A, which also includes Honduras and Trinidad and Tobago, which played Wednesday's second game at the Orange Bowl.

Although Colombia dominated play in the opening 45 minutes, Panama nearly broke through with two scoring chances early in the second half.

Felipe Baloy had an unmarked opportunity but Mondragon dove to stop Baloy's 10-yard shot before it landed inside the left post at the 49th minute.

One minute later, Moreno's shot from 15 yards hit the right post.

Colombia took only a few minutes of the match to step up its attack, threatening the Panamanian goal area with repeated shots on goal. But Penedo frustrated Colombia's offense with diving saves in the 31st, 32nd, 44th and 45th minute.

Honduras 1, Trinidad and Tobago 1, tie

July 7, 2005

MIAMI (AP) -- Christopher Birchall and Maynor Figueroa exchanged first half goals as Trinidad and Tobago and Honduras tied 1-1 in a first round CONCACAF Gold Cup game Wednesday night.

Both teams had opportunities to break the deadlock late in the second half but a couple of misfired shots kept the match a draw.

Honduras' Wilmer Velasquez missed an open goal when his shot deep in the goal area sailed above the crossbar in the 72nd minute. Trinidad and Tobago's Colin Samuel hit the crossbar with his shot from 25 yards nine minutes later.

Samuel's shot proved costly for Honduras, losing starting goalkeeper Victor Coello on the play. Coello dove to stop the shot but fell awkwardly and remained on the ground, favoring his left shoulder.

Reserve Junior Morales replaced Coello, who was diagnosed with a left shoulder separation.

Birchall opened the scoring with a goal at the 27th minute to put Trinidad and Tobago ahead 1-0. Birchall successfully converted on a shot from 25 yards, finding the upper-right corner.

But Honduras countered with Figueroa's game-tying goal in the 43rd minute. Figueroa blasted a free kick from the half circle past a wall of defenders and goalkeeper Kelvin Jack.

In Wednesday night's first game at the Orange Bowl, Panama surprised Group A favorite Colombia with a 1-0 victory.

Panama leads Group A with three points.

The second set of first round games will be played Saturday.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Seems we just got pre-empted by the Jays. Great!

Spare us from the shame Sportsnet.

Good thing I went to the pub to watch...as opposed to what was announced, Sportsnet West did not cover it Live, they had the baseball match instead[}:)]. Luckily the pub had the digital feed and we watched it live on SN Pacific.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Good thing I went to the pub to watch...as opposed to what was announced, Sportsnet West did not cover it Live, they had the baseball match instead[}:)]. Luckily the pub had the digital feed and we watched it live on SN Pacific.

Okay, so did anyone in Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan get this game live on their home sportsnet channel (ie Sportsnet west)? Because their sked said it would be on and yet there's the Jays. What interests me is that their 'bug' on the bottom right of the screen said 'Sportsnet EAST'

I was paranoid that SNET decided . . . "Alta gets soccer, Sask gets the Jays" and sent us the Sportsnet east feed. Now apparently they just decided to lie on their web site and tape delay yet another game.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Okay, so did anyone in Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan get this game live on their home sportsnet channel (ie Sportsnet west)? Because their sked said it would be on and yet there's the Jays. What interests me is that their 'bug' on the bottom right of the screen said 'Sportsnet EAST'

I was paranoid that SNET decided . . . "Alta gets soccer, Sask gets the Jays" and sent us the Sportsnet east feed. Now apparently they just decided to lie on their web site and tape delay yet another game.

cheers,

matthew

Jays were on Sportsnet West. Got it live on the Sportsnet Pacific digital feed. The Jays were also on East and Ontario digital feeds.

Basically baseball was on every local feed across the country and soccer was on West Digital and Pacific Digital (so that anyone across the country with digital could watch soccer live). This was no different than other matches we've seen in the past, starting with the Germany friendly a couple of years ago and most recently with the U20 Syria match. I applaud Sportsnet for doing this, because soccer will never bump baseball and many other sports, so it's good that they're taking advantage of the digital feeds, which is becoming more routine for them (I think they did it with the Confederations Cup as well).

However, the problem here, as matthew pointed out, is that Sportsnet screwed up with the schedule posted on their site, which indicated that soccer would be live on the West and Pacific local feeds. (It looks like not everyone at Sportsnet (in this case, the person responsible for posting this week's schedule) has figured out the alternate/digital feed concept.)

Same thing is going to happen on Tuesday. The Canada/Cuba game will be live on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific digital feeds only. All the local feeds will be showing the MLB All-Star Game.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Same thing is going to happen on Tuesday. The Canada/Cuba game will be live on Sportsnet West and Sportsnet Pacific digital feeds only. All the local feeds will be showing the MLB All-Star Game.

I agree, though once again the schedule posted on Sportsnet's site does not agree and I'm sure it is wrong (they have soccer live on West local and Pacific local).

July 8 Results - Group C

South Africa 2  Mexico 1

27' SA Evans

40' SA van Heerden

82' MEX F. Rodríguez

Jamaica 4  Guatemala 3

2' JAM Luton

4' JAM Ricardo

10' GUA Carlos

[15' JAM Davis - RED]

45' JAM Andrew

45'+2' GUA Carlos

56' JAM J. Hue

86' GUA C. Ruiz

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I don't know if Mexico, like the US, have ever lost or tied an opening round match.

They've never lost an opening-round match until now, but they've drawn four (1991, 1993, 2000, 2003). Including knockout-round matches, this is their second 90-minute loss ever in the Gold Cup (the first was to the USA in the 1991 semifinals). Their only other two losses were in extra time (to us in the 2000 quarterfinals) and penalty kicks (to South Korea in the 2002 quarterfinals).

This loss also definitely snaps Mexico's long unbeaten streak in all matches that stretched back to last year (somewhere around 20 matches?), in case you don't want to count the Confederations Cup semifinal loss in penalty kicks.

From CONCACAF site:

Hurricane Dennis hits CONCACAF Gold Cup™

8.7.05 - The advancing Force 4 Hurricane Dennis has caused a 24 hour delay in each of the next two game days of the CONCACAF Gold Cup™ Group A at Miami's Orange Bowl.

The seriousness of the storm, which has already caused havoc in parts of the Caribbean, especially Cuba, led to State and City of Miami authorities ordering many emergency procedures, including the closing of the Orange Bowl.

The doubleheader scheduled for tomorrow (Saturday, 9 July) at the Orange Bowl will now be played on Sunday, 10 July with Honduras vs. Colombia at 19:00 and then Panama vs. Trinidad & Tobago at 21:00. The matches scheduled for Monday (11 July), will now go ahead on Tuesday, (12 July) with Colombia vs. Trinidad & Tobago at 17:00 and then Honduras vs. Panama at 19:00.

CONCACAF General Secretary Chuck Blazer said: "We are sorry for the fans, both at the Orange Bowl and in front of their TV sets, who were anticipating the Gold Cup games on their scheduled days but we understand full well why the decision was made. It is better to be safe than sorry."

This is the first time since 1998, when El Nino caused a postponement in Los Angeles, that weather has interfered with the Gold Cup.

Our last penalty is against Scotland in 2002 and to have 3 penalties we have to go back to 2000 with the GC. So we have 3 PK in 52 games..........

But to be fair we don,t see our players too often int he opposite team 18 yards box, but 52 games is a lot.

Archived