Montreal Impact Option for CONCACAF Cup?

snake

as technichal canadian soccer champions,the montreal impact earn the right to enter the copa america tournament.when is the copa america?imagine the excitement that would be generated if the impact were seeded against a south american power.the games would be in the winter spring i believe so the impact would be a year round squad if they entered the tournament.any thoughts?

note:Title edited only: mod

Copa America? The South American tournament? Are you sure? Or do you mean the CONCACAF Champions Cup?

I think it would be a good idea. Main problem is the cost. And of course potential date problems, but I see no problem with making these Latinos play in Montreal in March. :D

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Copa America? The South American tournament? Are you sure? Or do you mean the CONCACAF Champions Cup?

I think it would be a good idea. Main problem is the cost. And of course potential date problems, but I see no problem with making these Latinos play in Montreal in March. :D

March...Grass at the Olympic Stadium under the roof. Boca Juniors....

at least 13000. Add in another 3 thousand give aways...

The South American Club competition (run by CONEMBOL) is called the Copa Libertadores. It has invited Mexican club teams to participate over the past few years, but would be unlikely to invite Canadian club teams (The Copa America is the confederation Championship for national teams which is held every two or three years, and they invite two other national teams, Canada was invited in 2000, but pulled out with Argentina because of the troubles in Colombia).

The CONCACAF Club Championship (off and on in various forms since 1962; see history: http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/ca1.html ) has never had a Canadian team appear, and the process would have to get started by the Canadian Soccer Association making a request to CONCACAF, something it has never openly expressed interest in. I don't believe any Canadian clubs have ever expressed interest in being involved, and , as various discussions on this site have pointed out, it would probably be financially prohibitive given things like costs, season conflicts and lack of spectator draw either here or away. Probably the CSA wouldn't get around to initiating anything unless a league or a club expressed interest (so Saputo would have to start the process in practice). CONCACAF does not appear interested in having Canadian participation, and have in fact listed the CPSL champion Toronto Croatia as the 2004 "Canadian Champion"[:o)] on its site in a list of 2004 club champions for each country in the confederation!

Indeed a canadian team being invited is a long way off. I think what teams like Vancouver and Montreal have to do is to invited mid-level European pro teams and South American teams to cone to Canada and play mini tournaments to get exposure and to sell some tickets.

I'd travel to see Montreal vs Southampton (or someone simliar) in July when Southhampton is in pre-season.

But it's not my money to lose....

Archived