June 23 - Hamilton Thunder - Oakville Blue Devils

obdfan

Taken form Bhoys of the Hamilton forum

quote:Thunder attack awaits 'show off' Blue Devils

By Larry Moko

The Hamilton Spectator

(Jun 23, 2005)

There's a beauty of a game shaping up tonight in the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

The 8 p.m. contest at Brian Timmis Stadium features the only two undefeated teams in the league. The Hamilton Thunder and Oakville Blue Devils -- Western Conference rivals -- are 3-0.

It's an interesting match-up, too, because Oakville head coach Duncan Wilde and assistant coach Billy Steele, along with six Blue Devil players plus the "equipment guy," were formerly with the Thunder.

Blue Devils are last year's Metro Lions franchise.

"It's a date on the calendar that we've been looking forward to," said Wilde, who coached the Thunder in 2003 and last year was bench boss of the A-League Toronto Lynx.

"We're expecting a good rivalry game. We want to bring our new team back to Hamilton and show it off."

The Thunder is the only club in the 12-team CPSL that has yet to allow a goal -- excluding Monday's 3-0 exhibition loss to the Lynx. Robby Ferrari has been between the pipes.

"We're probably one of the more attack-minded teams in the league. My teams have always been like that.

"Italo (Ferrari, the Thunder owner) would tell you that firsthand. In fact, it's probably one of the things he questioned when I was there ... that we were so attacking. We like to take the game to the other team."

Gabriel Pop leads Oakville in scoring with four goals.

"We're happy with our start," Wilde said. "We're playing quite well. We need to improve a few things, but I suppose even Brazil would say that."

General manager Paul Ferguson is in his first year as the Thunder general manager but he is familiar with Wilde, who coached in the Steel City in 2003.

Said Ferguson: "We both run soccer academies. We're familiar with one another and I have a great deal of respect for his programs. I think he feels the same way about us."

Ferguson said the spotless Thunder defensive record is a credit to the whole team.

"Our back four is very strong. We're fairly good at both outside half positions and that keeps teams from cheating forward. They're afraid to commit too many resources going forward, because they know they can be hit fairly quickly down either side of the park."

Ferguson said that three different players have received player-of-the-match recognition thus far, in the team's victories over Durham Storm, Windsor Border Stars and St. Catharines Roma Wolves.

"Every team is out to make sure the Thunder doesn't three-peat (as divisional champions)," Ferguson said. "We need to be prepared every night to make sure we do what we're capable of doing.

"The fact that we (Oakville and Hamilton) are both 3-0 is exciting in itself. Let's take the gloves off and go at it."

lmoko@thespec.com 905-526-2458

It should be a good game, with both teams still undefeated. RocketRobin you should be at the game, since you are only one that does game reports the way they should be done. Cheers, see ya all at the game

[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Actually for Hamiltons 2 other home games there has been coverage in the Spec. For 1 there was not a preview. This was on the opening page too! I no in Windsor they get some coverage and Laval seems to on the RSN site(i heard they get crowds of 1000). The CPSL is shaping up this year. I think this league will be something much greater then it is now in a few years.

Actually for Hamiltons 2 other home games there has been coverage in the Spec. For 1 there was not a preview. This was on the opening page too! I no in Windsor they get some coverage and Laval seems to on the RSN site(i heard they get crowds of 1000). The CPSL is shaping up this year. I think this league will be something much greater then it is now in a few years.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

The Spec seem to be really trying to keep tabs on the team. Besides, there is no way that amateur local bowling deserves as much publicity and coverage as a professional entity (even if they don't do much in advertising).

And I do reports... completely biased, but entertaining none the less. No, not as good as Rocket Robin's because he ACTUALLY PAYS ATTENTION to the game, where as I'm trying to remember the words and heckle opposition goalkeepers with a degree of originality. It's all about priorities. ;)

quote..

"It's an interesting match-up, too, because Oakville head coach Duncan Wilde and assistant coach Billy Steele, along with six Blue Devil players plus the "equipment guy," were formerly with the Thunder."

Who are the 6 players? I didn't see any rosters at the game but thought I recognized a couple of the Oakville faces as past Thunder players. Names??

Guest HamiltonSteelers

BHTC_Mike identified at least one of the lads... didn't catch anyone's name that stuck out.

Archived