Yallop Names Gold Cup Roster

David C.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But I don't see DeRo as a guy who: always wants the ball, and can control the game. He is more of the type who relies on space rather than a guy who can dribble and control the ball in tight quarters and beat tight marking.

I think Dwayne can dribble and take players on, and control the ball. That's the least of my concerns. Distribution, I'm not as positive about. We haven't seen him in the role where he has to demand the ball in the middle of the park, beat players and distribute it, so its tough to say he can't fulfill that role. Reports out of San Jose indicate he's been moved there. I can't say myself because I haven't seen any SJ matches this year, which is why I'm qualifying my statments with "if".

As for Grande, he's good at distributing long balls, but I didn't see the "decisive short, breakthrough" pass kind of thing from him, which is what I really want to see from the creative midfielder who sits behind the two strikers. But I don't think he'll be sitting just behind them.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am afraid that, with the current style that our national teams play under Mitchell and Yallop, there is little appreciation or regard for creative midfielders :(. The central MF that I normally associate with the description that you provided is more and more taken up workman type players rather than artists. The talented players ( better word would be athletic) are sent on the flanks to run up and down the pitch to kick high in-swinging balls inside the box. In every other country around the globe, a player like Peters would have been groomed and placed in the middle. Whereas Mitchell and yallop like to put their least talented players in the middle of the pitch.

I was dismayed last night watching Jpn-Bra for about 30 minutes. Watching the Japanese play, left me wondering why we cannot play that way? The Japanese were able to create great scoring chances through the middle of the pitch and successfully traded scoring chances with Brazil. There was no sense of domination from Brazil from what I saw. Furthermore, they ( japanese) played what looked like a 3-5-2. Remember that? When we played that system, we never looked outclassed in games. Yet recently, more and more, we look outclassed, hurried and hanging on for dear life. Much like in the nineties. Another thing about the Japanese, the recognizable players on their squad all played in postions that were in the middle of the pitch. Unlike Canada, whereby one of our more prominant players ( JDG) is sent to play on the wings.

Finally, how much more internationally recognized are the Japanese players compared to Canadians? yet right now our squad looks to be not even in the same league when you watch both play.

Quite frankly we have no one with the ability displayed by the Japanese. I mean Nakata is world class. The whole Japan team is technically very good, quick, discipline and are willing to commit for 90 minutes. To get a team to play in that manner you need players with ability. Sadly I do not see not one player on Canada's squad with that ability.

That being said I will still support Canada to the end

"If Davidson is reporting what he is getting from Yallop, rather than speculating on his own, then this is quite disturbing"

An experienced reporter like Neil Davidson would know better. Yallop is not going to call Tam, a player who is key to the long term success of the program, due to purely personal reasons. He is trying to prove a point regarding his authority, which a lot of short men try extra hard to prove, and has no care for the effect it has on the team. He's done it with Aguiar, with Brennan and now, most critically given the state of the defence, Tam Nsaliwa.

I don't care if he wins the Gold Cup, I don't want him managing my national team.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Oh man, that is an extremely strong squad.

Our boys really have their work cut out for them, if they didn't already.

We'll be competitive, but their are only about 6 people on this squad who would always start if we were about to play in the WC. Should be actually fun the watch this year.

quote:Originally posted by canso

He's done it with Aguiar, with Brennan and now, most critically given the state of the defence, Tam Nsaliwa.

Christ almighty, I know you dislike Yallop, but stop talking out of your ass.

Firstly, he said to Aguiar "We don't need you now, but we may need you later in WCQ" (which we did) to which Aguiar replied "No thanks, I'm retiring."

Secondly, no one knows why Brennan wasn't called after the Belize games. However, Brennan has been included in the last two matches Canada has played. Shows that someone isn't as ornery as you think.

Thirdly, you are assuming a helluva lot from this article. I mean really, your entire post regarding Yallop's motivations is based on one assumption after another.

I too have trepidation regarding Yallop's skill at managing the team and his track record, but it's based more on observations and results than assumptions.

I don't care if he wins the Gold Cup, I don't want him managing my national team.

So you're not going to Seattle because the Yallop Experience

will be too much for you?

C'mon man, you've only got one country. (And there's a beer waiting

for you with your name on it.);)

What makes you think Jamie Peters can't hold a spot on the U20 team? He played every game & has been called by his coach a key player for the next one. It doesn't sound to me like he's getting cut from the U20 program any time soon.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced yet he should be playing for the national team, but as we seem to be going with youth & inexperience for this tourney, he's hardly out of place.

What makes you think Jamie Peters can't hold a spot on the U20 team? He played every game & has been called by his coach a key player for the next one. It doesn't sound to me like he's getting cut from the U20 program any time soon.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced yet he should be playing for the national team, but as we seem to be going with youth & inexperience for this tourney, he's hardly out of place.

"stop talking out of your ass"

PPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I'm still going to Seattle, but I'm going with a megaphone so I can let the world know just what I think of Frank Yallop.

Anybody know about transporting one of those big bass drums, like for a marching band?

"stop talking out of your ass"

PPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I'm still going to Seattle, but I'm going with a megaphone so I can let the world know just what I think of Frank Yallop.

Anybody know about transporting one of those big bass drums, like for a marching band?

I don't think our personnel is well suited to the 3-5-2 right now. In the old days with Menezes, DeVos and Watson it worked really well because they complimented each other and had experience. Who would sweep now? Klukowski seems the best option, with Hutchinson and I guess possibly Serioux. That also means that we need two centrebacks. It also leave one spot for Jazic/Brennan/Simpson instead of two. In a 4-4-2, we put Klukowski in the middle with one of McKenna/Gervais/Reda/whoever instead of using two of those guys. I think we're better off in a 4-4-2.

One of the most encouraging signs abou Portugal was the ability of our fullbacks (Hutchinson and Klukowski) to get forward. I think we need Klukowski in the middle badly, but surely Simpson is just as capable of being positive and joining the attack.

Our problem in the 4-4-2 is that we don't have as much presense in the middle of the field and Imhof doesn't impose himself on a game like Dasovic or Stalteri did. Still if we put Stally and DeGuzma in the middle I don't think that's an issue. I'm looking forward to seing more of Grande who I think could be a very good d-mid for games where we need a different kind of d-mid from Imhof (who I'm a fan of as we all know, but he is a subtle player).

cheers,

matthew

I don't think our personnel is well suited to the 3-5-2 right now. In the old days with Menezes, DeVos and Watson it worked really well because they complimented each other and had experience. Who would sweep now? Klukowski seems the best option, with Hutchinson and I guess possibly Serioux. That also means that we need two centrebacks. It also leave one spot for Jazic/Brennan/Simpson instead of two. In a 4-4-2, we put Klukowski in the middle with one of McKenna/Gervais/Reda/whoever instead of using two of those guys. I think we're better off in a 4-4-2.

One of the most encouraging signs abou Portugal was the ability of our fullbacks (Hutchinson and Klukowski) to get forward. I think we need Klukowski in the middle badly, but surely Simpson is just as capable of being positive and joining the attack.

Our problem in the 4-4-2 is that we don't have as much presense in the middle of the field and Imhof doesn't impose himself on a game like Dasovic or Stalteri did. Still if we put Stally and DeGuzma in the middle I don't think that's an issue. I'm looking forward to seing more of Grande who I think could be a very good d-mid for games where we need a different kind of d-mid from Imhof (who I'm a fan of as we all know, but he is a subtle player).

cheers,

matthew

"Nsaliwa declined because Yallop could not guarantee him a starting role."

He would be the best defender we have. Why shouldn't he start every game? IMO he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Assuming the manager wasn't Frank Yallop that is.

"Nsaliwa declined because Yallop could not guarantee him a starting role."

He would be the best defender we have. Why shouldn't he start every game? IMO he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. Assuming the manager wasn't Frank Yallop that is.

besides Tam and Yallop not being on the same page again (I'm not gonna make any assumptions about that one as certain others seem to have done already) ,, this is pretty much the team that was expected with maybe a few surprises in there.. Nice to see Franks get a shot again, I have no problem with the goaltending department as Sutton should be our number 1 right now.. Being a fellow Kelowna boy I would have liked to seen Rob Friend make the roster, but I can also understand why he didn't as it seems like he's only recently picked up his scoring touch in the past few months... I don't recall too many people screaming for his name 6 months ago or for the World Cup Qualifying team.. That said if he continues to score against good quality opposition, he should deserve a shot in the near future,, just doesn't seem like there was a spot for him on this roster with Gerba and Johnson filling out the last forward spots.. I've mentioned before many times that I think guys like Hume, Occean, Atiba , Peters and Simpson are very key to our future and happy to see them all here playing together. Looking forward to this tourney, not expecting miracles but a good effort none the less

besides Tam and Yallop not being on the same page again (I'm not gonna make any assumptions about that one as certain others seem to have done already) ,, this is pretty much the team that was expected with maybe a few surprises in there.. Nice to see Franks get a shot again, I have no problem with the goaltending department as Sutton should be our number 1 right now.. Being a fellow Kelowna boy I would have liked to seen Rob Friend make the roster, but I can also understand why he didn't as it seems like he's only recently picked up his scoring touch in the past few months... I don't recall too many people screaming for his name 6 months ago or for the World Cup Qualifying team.. That said if he continues to score against good quality opposition, he should deserve a shot in the near future,, just doesn't seem like there was a spot for him on this roster with Gerba and Johnson filling out the last forward spots.. I've mentioned before many times that I think guys like Hume, Occean, Atiba , Peters and Simpson are very key to our future and happy to see them all here playing together. Looking forward to this tourney, not expecting miracles but a good effort none the less

Guest Jeffery S.

"If Davidson is reporting what he is getting from Yallop, rather than speculating on his own, then this is quite disturbing"

An experienced reporter like Neil Davidson would know better. Yallop is not going to call Tam, a player who is key to the long term success of the program, due to purely personal reasons. He is trying to prove a point regarding his authority, which a lot of short men try extra hard to prove, and has no care for the effect it has on the team. He's done it with Aguiar, with Brennan and now, most critically given the state of the defence, Tam Nsaliwa.

The problem with this, is that after thinking that Frank would handle the personal details a lot better than Holger, he has needed a year and a half to get right into the Holger groove. Only that Holger took a lot longer to get there, and he had a 15 game stretch without a loss in there to justify his posture.

Thus far, Frank's record is quite poor. I don't think he'll improve it much come Gold Cup. But i say, let him stay, he got us into the mess by taking preparation for the WC qualifying lightly (which was when he could have been justified being heavy handed, as better results would have backed him up), so let him get us out.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by matthew

cheers,

matthew

From what I gather De Guzman is going to be called into defensive mid tasks at Deportivo, along with Duscher, the Argie who is at the Confed now. I'd say Duscher does the dirtiest work and de Guzman a bit less, both tackling, destroying the other attack, and together feeding forwards. So you could put Julian alongside someone like Imhof and maybe you'd be taking advantage of what he is learning to handle at his new club.

I would, in this regard, really love to see our players used in a way that reflects how they best show their talent at their clubs. It does not have to be this way always -I remember how Hierro was fullback at Madrid but defensive mid for the national team, perhaps because there were faster defenders than him for the middle- but it would be a way, for example, to finally see Radzinski show something with Canada of what he occasionally shows with his clubs.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by THEMAN

apparently oo is going to Rosenborg according to the VG. national paper is Norway

Does not this article, today in vg.no, say that he is staying at Odd until the end of the season, as Odd wanted 10 million kroner for him, and there were no takers?

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=281655

Can't trust my Norwegian though.

Archived