Ask the CPSL Commissioner

Here are some comments directly from the CPSL Commissioner:

...There are a lot of things we are going to do to improve the image of the CPSL, such as:

-Increase our marketing efforts in the community.

-Improve game-day entertainment at our fields.

-Have a stronger presense with the media.

-Recognize the importance of multiculturalism in Soccer in Canada.

-Expand geographically.

-Have more international matches with a CPSL All-Star teams.

-Strengthen our relationship with the OSA and districts.

-Hold clubs more accountable both procedurally and from a business perspective.

-Make sure that fans feel like the CPSL is tremendous value.

-Expand into areas of growth, like our Women's League.

-Build the profile of the open Canada Cup.

-Increase sponsorship support...

It will be a lot of work, time and patience, but we are beginning to set a path for the future...

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

-------------------------

...The league is interested in expanding geographically into cities like Kitchener, Guelph, Kingston and Cornwall. As well, Laval is an island right now, and we need to help them out with some clubs in the Quebec/Ottawa region.

The key is to have ownership groups that are committed to having a strong operation - both from a business and a soccer standpoint...

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

Thank you for your question.

I did do an initial state of the union at City Hall at the beginning of the year, and I would expect that sometime in July/August, I will re-address the media with an update as to where the league will be going.

Keep your eyes open, we may have an interesting announcement in the next 30 days.

Cary Kaplan

Commissioner

quote:Originally posted by Richard

<The key is to have ownership groups that are committed to having a strong operation - both from a business and a soccer standpoint...>

Statement of the obvious I'm afraid, but good luck to him. I hope he pulls ot off.

He sure does have his work cut out for him. Guys like Bruno and Harry have been running teams for a long time and have always been very sure of themselves in the way they have run their operations. I wonder if they are going to let an outsider have his way or are they more interested in pulling his strings?

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

He sure does have his work cut out for him. Guys like Bruno and Harry have been running teams for a long time and have always been very sure of themselves in the way they have run their operations. I wonder if they are going to let an outsider have his way or are they more interested in pulling his strings?

db

What the hell do you know about Harry?..Do you think he's a mob boss that runs everybody in the league..Get a grip!!

Hey doorknob2, can you read?

You think these guys are going to let the new kid on the block call the shots? In a 12-team league that is so weak, 2-3 owners can control the whole league (see CFL and NHL).

Somebody needs to stop watching the Sopranos.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Hey doorknob2, can you read?

You think these guys are going to let the new kid on the block call the shots? In a 12-team league that is so weak, 2-3 owners can control the whole league (see CFL and NHL).

Somebody needs to stop watching the Sopranos.

LMAO.Let me guess.They pull all the strings in those leagues too!.

Tony Soprano

quote:Originally posted by soccerman2

What the hell do you know about Harry?..Do you think he's a mob boss that runs everybody in the league..Get a grip!!

I know Harry reasonably well and I like him a lot. I don't know what the hell you're going on with this "mob boss" crap.

What I am saying is that, just as in any other sports league around the world, the longtime owners (such as Bruno and Harry, the guys who have been owners for a long, long time) are going to feel that their experience is worth something in terms of how the league is run in the future. If Cary Kaplan tries to change things in any major way, he may face resistance. If so, that would be unfortunate. The league needs a good solid breath of fresh air. Hopefully he can provide it but the road ahead is going to be very difficult and just as CFL Commisioner Tom Wright must have the support of all of his league's franchises, Cary Kaplan needs unanimous support and if he doesn't get something close to that, he'll be wasting his time.

Briefly, as for Harry, he is incredibly enthusiastic, he never says die, and he bought me a great schnitzel at the German Club 15 years ago. He's always been very nice to me and I've always appreciated his dedication to soccer.

db

bd..Thank you for clarifying what you realy meant by pulling the strings.I just assumed it was another Cheap shot at him and London City because thats all I have seen the last couple of years on the cpsl and 2 other soccer forums.I hope you accept my sincere apology for immeditely jumping the gun.

soccerman2

quote:Originally posted by soccerman2

bd..Thank you for clarifying what you realy meant by pulling the strings.I just assumed it was another Cheap shot at him and London City because thats all I have seen the last couple of years on the cpsl and 2 other soccer forums.I hope you accept my sincere apology for immeditely jumping the gun.

soccerman2

;)

db

Where's LOSF when you need him?

So who are you Junior?

On one hand, these guys who have been around for decades deserve a hand for all the sweat they have put into making things happen.

However, if they are standing in the way of others who can make more happen, they deserve a lot more than a couple cheap shots on some internet message boards.

Archived