FC United of Manchester

Breakwood

I was waiting for this.

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/

Disgruntled Man U Fans Form Their Own Club

Published: Jun 21, 2005

Angered at Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United, a breakaway group of fans have formed their own club and have been accepted into England's North West Counties League.

The club - FC United - is set to begin play in August at the Butcher's Arms in Droylsden, a ground in greater Manchester that has a capacity of about 3,500. A group of more than 2,500 fans have pledged their financial support to the new team, which will compete in what essentially is the bottom-rung division of English soccer.

Interviews for manager of FC United have begun and player try-outs are set for June 26. Although it's considered ``non-league'' play, there already is talk of the club jumping to a higher division because large crowds are expected for its inaugural season. There even have been rumors of two former Manchester United players agreeing to suit up for the rebel club.

Meanwhile, after 14 years as a publicly traded company, Manchester United is expected to be delisted from the London Stock Market on Wednesday. Next Monday, Glazer is likely to announce he has passed ownership of 97.6 percent shares, the threshold that would grant him a forced buy- out of the remaining shareholders.

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGB0T37L7AE.html

Guest HamiltonSteelers

If you make the team, I will buy a replica shirt with your name on it. Just don't pull a 'Hargraves', OK? :)

this is great. i LOVE manchester united, but i will support this club. glazer is evil and i pray he doesn't destroy mufc. too bad i'll never see FC United in the premier against mufc. maybe an FA Cup match in 15-20 years? fascinated to see what their kit will look like.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Bunch of crybabies...

Nah, its great. It's a reminder that fans of the world's only true sport still have a say and some power. Not like N.American sports where the fans are treated like dirt. [8)]

Nah, it's a bunch of whiny babies who are throwing a tantrum because someone took advantage of a situation ManU put themselves in when they thought going public was a great idea.

To compare this situation (as they want to do by linking to them) to the one that saw the formation of AFC Wimbledon is laughable.

I'm 100% behind the fans, despite being an Arsenal fan ;). Mr Glazer borowed half a billion bucks to buy Mun U and now wants to pay the loan off by increasing ticket prices 54% over 5 years. If you guys dont mind bending over and taking it in the backdoor to enable some tycoon to buy your club and treat it as his personal plaything thats fine, but as a lifelong Wimbledon fan, I know what these fans are going through. In fact AFC Wimbledon will be playing a friendly match against FC United of Manchester later this summer. I'm glad the Wombles will be showing the Man U fans our support!

Guest Jeffery S.

I personally think that if you are not happy with things, this is perhaps the best and most legit way to go: start your own team to represent your own town, your sentiments.

Better than just whining about Glazer, as I agree with LMS that they got themselves into the mess by going public.

But unlike you LMS, I think it is fine to go for your own team and seek to build it into something; indeed, most city rivalries a hundred years back or so started this way, a team was formed in a town and a part of that town's early soccer fans could not relate to it, so they started up a rival (Espanyol in Barcelona is called such precisely because FC Barcelona was started by, presided by and even coached for a long period by foreigners, and they defended a Spanish team to contrast them). So in this sense imagining them amidst 3000 fans after having gone to O. Trafford is kind of charming.

So I assume the people forming this club are no longer Man U fans? If Man U actually do well under Glazer and win the EPL and CL, these people won't be at Old Trafford?

I will respect what these people are doing only if they don't go running back to Man U should Glazer turn out better than they expect. This new club can't be used as a protest or something. It has to be their new favourite club that they will always support regardless of what happens with Man U.

Let's just say I have my doubts.

Hmmm, I believe the grand old Liverpool club was formed after the owner of Anfield fell out with then-tennants Everton. If the fallout never happened, some people on this board would never be singing "You'll never walk alone!" (and might be wearing blue colours too) lol. Fallouts happen. Lets be happy we all have the right to walk away from situations that displease us.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Lets be happy we all have the right to walk away from situations that displease us.

So why wait until it actually happens to walk away?

Going public opened up this situation, and it almost happened a few years back with Ruper Murdoch. Heck, why didn't these 'fans' walk away then when it was obvious it was coming?

Hmmm, I believe the grand old Liverpool club was formed after the owner of Anfield fell out with then-tennants Everton. If the fallout never happened, some people on this board would never be singing "You'll never walk alone!" (and might be wearing blue colours too) lol. Fallouts happen. Lets be happy we all have the right to walk away from situations that displease us.

Thanks for the history lesson, professor. The fact remains finding a United fan anywhere in an IRA bombing radius of the city of Manchester is impossible. Man City is the adopted team of the people. Were I to wear blue, having lived in Rusholme, that's the way I'd go. The fact remains these United fans from Oldham et al are wankers. They didn't support their own club cause it was too small and now, likely because they're afraid of black people, they'll pretend to support a non-league club. Nice work.

I'm not saying they can't do it, I just think it's lame.

<<because they're afraid of black people, they'll pretend to support a non-league club>>

????....Malcolm Glazer is white......?

That was a joke. Sort of. If your a football fan, next time your in Manchester make sure to visit the historic Maine Road -preferably at night, and definitely wear your Gunners kit. Moss Side is just like Coronation Street, only better...

Archived