Jerry Dobson on Sportsnet - Good or Bad?

groovee99

First of all, very disappointed when TSN did not acquire rights to World Cup 2006, simply because I love Vic Rauter, Craig Forrest and Dick Howard together. They are very entertaining and educational to watch with strong opinions and understanding of the game. Now everyone remembers or should I say forgets how bad Carl Fletcher bombed last summer in Euro 2004.

I want your opinion on the current voice of soccer in Canada Jerry Dobson. Here is mine...

Dear Sportsnet,

1st things 1st, Congrats on acquiring the rights to the 2006 World Cup! It is exciting that all Canadians will have the chance to watch all the games on tv. I can guarantee you that I will.

Now that you have a great event to showcase, with presenting the World Cup it is critical to pursue a good cast of hosts for the month long biggest event on the planet.

Craig Forrest is EXCELLENT! Jerry Dobson is not. Jerry's passion and knowledge of the game quite noticeably lacks. I have noticed that Jerry has put more effort in as of late, but at best, his presentation seems fake and as if he is simply going through the motions; concentrating more on the pronunciation of foreigners names than anything else. Listening to the English Commentators and then to Jerry Dobson should be your first and biggest enough clue.

Vic Rauter and Dick Howard have always been excellent with TSN. These two have hosted World Cup's since 1990 and are very excellent. I would highly recommend CTV Sportsnet pursuing such analysts.

In conclusion, from a longtime fan of the game of soccer, Rogers Sportsnet would be much better off finding a different role(s) for Jerry Dobson that does not involve soccer.

Thank you for your time....Lee

Sorry, but having watched him develop (along with RSN's coverage), I'm of the opinion Gerry does a good job.

Sorry, but we can't expect to have John Motson's popping up in Canada simply because we have soccer on TV now. And Vic Rauter, to me, is not better. And I love Dick Howard, but he's still lacking a TV "presense" even after all these years.

quote:Originally posted by groovee99

Craig Forrest is EXCELLENT! Jerry Dobson is not. Jerry's passion and knowledge of the game quite noticeably lacks.

WOW, we must have been watching two different networks over the last 5-6 years. Gerry has gone from just what you describe at first to today a passionate advocate for the game. I have watched him get visibly excited by national team games. He has started to get to know the teams of the world and while he may never have the depth of knowledge some might like that is not his job. Colour is Craig's job.

BTW do you remember when Craig started. He was horrible. He spoke poorly and his timing made you squirm in your seat waiting for him to say something or to shut up.

I think they have arrived at a comfortable working relationship where they can handle the broadcasts with perhaps one or two more on the team to add more depth.

As for Vic Rauter, I'd take Gerry's enthusiasm over Vic's WWE-style any day.:D

quote:Originally posted by canso

Vic Rauter made the most exciting call in Canadian Soccer history:

BERDUUUUUUUUSCCCOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Gerry just goes:

SCORES!!

I've noticed that too. And he says "scores" very quickly.

Someone in an earlier post noted that a fault of Gerry and other N.A. soccers commentators is that their style is akin to calling a hockey game (just say who has the puck/ball). I tend to agree with that. I listened to a load of Southampton games (and Millwall games to support our boys there - until the URL stopped working) and the commentators really don't do the hockey style announcing at all. And that is on the radio, yet.

Still I think Gerry is OK. Would prefer a little PIP box in the top right hand corner showing a commentator ala naked news. But not Gerry naked. No sirree.

I like Craig because he speaks the truth and say things like they are. He has improved a lot and his talking about his old days has decreased to almost nil. Gerry will be Gerry. However it seems I can swallow him more easely now that I did in the past. These last two games I needed not to mute the TV.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

These last two games I needed not to mute the TV.

:D

Ha! Usually don't watch with the sound on. Seriously. Not allways, but usualy I'll just have music on or be listening to a different match on internet radio. Stupid yeah, but it's what I do.

Gerry's got a long way to go but he's a lot better than he used to be and I think he knows a bit about footie too. Not a very mature bit, but he's got some knowledge. Got to remember he calls most of his matchs from a remote studio. Unless you're born and bred with the game it's kind of hard to predict what's going on off camera from just what you can see over the TV screen.

I'd say he's got some love for the game. It seems that way to me at least. Maybe it's grown on him, or rubbed off on to him from the footballing crowd he's forced to co-habitate with. Don't know. But I think he's cool with the game.

If SportsNet commited a little more research and production assistance, and maybe some off-camera coaching LIKE THEY SHOULD Dobson would have the tools he needs to do his job a little better.

And it's been said how-many-times but football is not a game which needs a "play-by-play announcer". Football needs a "match commentator". A narrator for the goings on down at field level.

P.S. Double Ha! Yeah, Craig blew big time out of the gate. Sort of knew he'd find his feet though. Hey, Craig. Slow down to under 60 words a minute would yeah? Easy Big Guy. Easy. Still, he did way better than Fletcher. Geezus, he was actually physicaly painfull to watch. Poor bugger. Nerves must have got the better of him.

As long as Sportsnet can only afford commentary to be done from watching a TV monitor rather than being at the game its bound to be pathetic. I am sure that Gerry and Craig would love to be in a sound booth at the stadium. Even poor countries send a color commentator who does it just using a cellphone.

Hard to believe it's the same Gerry Dobson who used to denigrate soccer!

I think it was back in the early 90's when he was the local CFTO (Toronto) sports guy doing the 11:30 report, I heard him give out some soccer scores and then add "...for those who care".

He's come a long way!

Let's stop badmouthing Dale, Gerry and some other generally good guys, and expell a little nastiness:) towards someone we can just about all dislike, except for a few cranks.;)

-------------------------------------------------

Gall7bg.jpg

"Some guys would do anything to put on an England shirt."

The only time I think I've seen someone else other than Gerry Dobson or Vic Rauter calling a Canada game was Gene Principe for the friendly against Finland.

Even though will likely se British commentators for the U20 in 2007, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a push for more domestic commentators.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The only time I think I've seen someone else other than Gerry Dobson or Vic Rauter calling a Canada game was Gene Principe for the friendly against Finland.

Even though will likely se British commentators for the U20 in 2007, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a push for more domestic commentators.

More domestic commentators? maybe we will discover a diamond in the rough. I would like to see the duo of Kevin Pipe and Andy Sharpe commenting one of Canada's game. It could be an eye opener for them and us.

Domestic commentators? Sign me up. More than willing to give it a go. Geezus, talk about a dream job eh?

Hey Cheeta, what yah doing for a living these days?

Oh, I watch or read about footie for a good 10-12 hours a day six or seven days of the week. Do match commentary and football interview a couple of times over the same period. Yeah. Life pretty much sucks.

You know who might not be such a bad match commentator? Jeremy St Louis from Fox. Seems to have a real nose and interest for the game. Bet he could pull it off in a more "British" fashion. Just less the accent (which would be nice).

Tough to guess. Maybe not so much on FSWC but I bet the lads over at SportsNet are told to dumb-it-down a bit. To call the match for a less educated football audience.

Match commentator? Yeah. Sounds good. My Mum always said I had the perfect face for radio.

Meh, it won't be so bad if they're just using british broadcasts during the game and cutting away for halftime, etc. If Gerry will actually be calling games, that's a different story.

I'm surprised TSN didn't try harder to get this thing, and even more suprised that they didn't have advertisers begging for spots in 2002. They showed the same damn adds 50 times a night. By the end of the group stage I was ready to blow up Esquire and Heineken (brrr).

Gerry and Craig are fine in my books. I really like Craig, he does a great job, i always think GK make good tv guys.... a la Kelly Hrudey. As far as Vic, he is great, and I rarely see him anymore... Vic, you still there?

Lets just be thankful, it could be worse, it could be the Score showing the games! Just imagine James Sharman and Brian Budd..... ahhhhhhhhhh![:0]

lol James Sharman and his fake accent would be hillarious. Speaking of announcers, I was watching the Velez-River game on FSWC and the guy who does the argentinian games is possibly the most annoying people I have ever heard, and thats saying alot, cause i go to school with 17 year old girls. He just randomly says stuff that has nothing to do with anything and he's trying to put a spanish accent on everything.

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

lol James Sharman and his fake accent would be hillarious. Speaking of announcers, I was watching the Velez-River game on FSWC and the guy who does the argentinian games is possibly the most annoying people I have ever heard, and thats saying alot, cause i go to school with 17 year old girls. He just randomly says stuff that has nothing to do with anything and he's trying to put a spanish accent on everything.

I don't know if we're talking about the same guy but there is an American that does soccer and rugby (I think he did a number of the Championsworld matches) that is just horrible. He does make me change the channel.

db

Archived