June 15 WYC - Canada v Colombia - POST-match [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by YWCNL

This will be my first and hopefully not last post on this forum. I am not an expert and was never a good footballer.......

Welcome to the Voyageurs forum YWCNL. It is nice you can attend the games and see them live. Please keep in mind, and this goes to others too, that the South American country is called Colombia. Not Columbia.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by trueviking

if i was the csa, i would protest that game...it was totally unfair that columbia was allowed to have 25 men on the pitch....

They shoudl protest that leather for the soccer ball came from a young male bull, and the Colombians made their soccer boots with leather made from cows in heat. How else can you explain the ball always ending up with them and sticking to their feet like it was glued to them.

For what its worth that is my take on the game, the loss of which is hard enough for the lads to accept after fighting so hard. I only hope none of them came on this site after the game and read the BS on this forum since that would be like taking a kick in the groin when you are down from people who claim to be fans and supporters.

this has been the tatics of choice for our various national teams

this is the ugliest style of soccer on earth and it looks like weare the master at it.

This is what is killing the game in this country and non of the national coaches is trying to avoid using that low quality boring and frustrating style of play

it might frustrate the opposition but at the same time frustrate the hell out of peoples watching the game to a point where it is hopeless

and peoples get turned off by it and stay away from Canadian soccer forever.

there was hope about this squad and that hopefully we would see a different brand of soccer win or lose.

that kind of crap does not belong on a soccer pitch it does nothing to promote the game it is that kind of tactics that has and continue

to damage the sport in this country.

if Canada is not willing to get rid of that anti soccer tactics they should be banned from participation in fifa sanctions tournaments.

even concacaf is ashame of our tactics as it does nothing to enhance the game.

this team qualified for the tournament almost 5 months agao and they dont evn seems to know how to string 3 passes together even in their own end.

the players has the ability to play a better brand of soccer if the CSA is willing to put the effort required to get rid of this anemic style instead of always doing the bare minimun to prepare the team

a team that is representing the nation.

We played the best positive style of possession, short-passing game, inventive, positive attacking

game against Syria that a canadian team at any level or either gender has ever played. This is the soccer of the brght future for us. Mitchell is to be commended and the players are to be commended for both the manner and level they played at. The only critique that could possible be seriously made in my humble opinion would be some individual personnel decisions during the course of the match, but these are minor

In the Colombia match, Mitchell's plan and the execution was the only possible one given the incredible technical skill of the Colombian players. Had we played any other way, we would certainly have been looking at being beaten by five or more goals, and that would have sunk us from any possiblility for second place or a battle for 3rd among 4-point third place teams. I doubt any other strategy wuld have worked better, and Mitchell is a genius in developing a plan that kept Colombia off the board for 80 minutes.

Bravo boys! Bravo Mitchell!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Stayed away until tape delay, which gives me a chance at the last words:

Is it too much to ask for a goalkeeper who is over 6 feet tall? Josh stopped a lot of shots, but two more inches in height and we get the nil-nil. There was also that fumble late that cost a corner. Dodgy.

The taller they are the slower they are, that's the problem with GK, you cannot have the perfect package. I bet that a 6'6 keeper doesn't touch that ball on the free kick. Except from the fumble Wagenaar played a great game, he was the reason why we were still in that game. BTW he's listed at 6'2 which I think is the perfect size for a GK, maybe 6'3.

Hope we can get a win over Italy, that would be great!

quote:Originally posted by YWCNL

For what its worth that is my take on the game, the loss of which is hard enough for the lads to accept after fighting so hard. I only hope none of them came on this site after the game and read the BS on this forum since that would be like taking a kick in the groin when you are down from people who claim to be fans and supporters.

you are entitled to your opinion, but the true fans know when criticism is due to any mens national team. Our style of play is the same style we had over 20 years ago. nothing has changed. Most Concacaf countries have passed us by most notably the U.S. while our program is stagnant due to the bad system we use to train players. This system was in full view in the Colombia game for everyone around the world to see. Just embarrising. Our players can't pass or control the ball not to mention our non-existent tactical play. You should be blaming the system not the fans of the game.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

In the Colombia match, Mitchell's plan and the execution was the only possible one given the incredible technical skill of the Colombian players. Had we played any other way, we would certainly have been looking at being beaten by five or more goals, and that would have sunk us from any possiblility for second place or a battle for 3rd among 4-point third place teams. I doubt any other strategy wuld have worked better, and Mitchell is a genius in developing a plan that kept Colombia off the board for 80 minutes.

Bravo boys! Bravo Mitchell!

Some people say that we don't have a good MNT because we don't have a domestic league where players can develop. The lack of a domestic league can't be the reason why we are not nearly as skilled as the Colombians. Why are the Colombians so more skillful at U20 age?. Since they are so far ahead of us at U20 then would a domestic league really help our MNT?

In all fareness to Legerwood he is playing his weaker position imo, as I beleive he plays primarily in the midfield for his club team. I think hes done a heck of a job adapting to right back, but you can tell just by the way he plays and reads and thinks the game that hes more of a midfielder then a dback. Im not saying that he shouldn't play right back as I beleive hes our best option, and peforms very well. He will no doubt improve if this is where Canada wishes to use him.

Okay, rant alert. Not at anyone in particular. Just generaly.

I think in you watched all the teams in all the groups, including the ones which'll finish 1st & 2nd and go onto the round of 16 not many are going to look like Colombia did the other day. It isn't just Canada. I'll put good money on that.

Can Colombia carry that sort of performance into the future? For reasons of their own form (and ours on Wednesday) not likely.

Don't get me wrong. They're good. Real good. But Geezus guys, pricking about in the wilderness in a match where your opponent is very content to let you prick about in the wilderness???? Yeah, that'll show your true quality.

Oh, and the only reason it was 2-nil was because Josh was out there doing some Shaolin Soccer goalkeeping? Nice save on the free kick, but I'd have been disappointed, again, if anything else that came his way would've gotten past the man. Except of course that "tournament highlight reel" 2nd goal. So we got a 2-nil scoreline on two individual shots which both would've scored against most professional clubs never mind ALL these under20 teams.

I think I can live with that. Reducing a team of that quality to having to score two very special goals in order to beat a team which clearly wasn't at it's best in some regards.

And who's the smarter? We're alive!

This Colombian team is heads above the rest of the field imo. The Colombain federation has recently put a lot of emphasis on their youth teams and the results have shown, most of the players on this team play regularly in the Colombian league which is competitive in South America, The system which Colombia has implemented is one which we should look at strongly, I'm sure over the next few years the Colombian national team will start to see the benefits of so much work at the youth level, already they are with players like Abel Aguilar playing well in the last copa america. Overall our Canadian boys were up against it in this game and must learn and mature from it.

Archived