Toronto lynx: whats the problem?

Dave,

I am not aware of any fans expressing the sentiment that the players are first and foremost responsible for the record. I hate to speak for others but I am quiet confident in saying that in order to improve, the team will needs something along the lines of a new investor and/or infusion of capital. Its quite evident from from the amenities, facilities and fan entertainment, that this team is run on a budget that is insufficient even for an a-league operation. I can also imagine that those shortcommings will be reflected in the record and overall preparation and performance.

At no time have I ever heard anyone say something along the lines of: " the players are not trying" or " the players quit" or "we should be doing better".

PS.; There is no need to appologize

Sure we would like to see a better record, but we also understand the circumstances. In my opinion, I like the fact the Lynx are giving some our top young prospects like yourself, Taty, Wyn, Francois and Arango a chance to play and improve against good competition. Perhaps even move to a bigger club or league like others before you.

We can live with the record knowing there is a "means to the end".

Hey Dave,

You guys have been working hard, I have seen that with my own eyes! unfortunatly, half mistakes (which all teams make) have seemed to kill us. You guys never quit, which makes me proud to support the Lynx. The comeback against Puerto Rico and coming back to get two against Rochester after being down by four was pure class and character!

Personally, I believe that the problem has been the revolving door lineup. I know now the roster is prety well set, but for the first month we the fans' wern't sure who was on the team, who was going to be singed and who was going to be traded.

againn, there is no need to apologize, I see that you guys care and that you are working hard! Lets hope that this mini break can heal some injuries and the Lynx can nick there first win against Charlston!!!!!

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Sure we would like to see a better record, but we also understand the circumstances. In my opinion, I like the fact the Lynx are giving some our top young prospects like yourself, Taty, Wyn, Francois and Arango a chance to play and improve against good competition. Perhaps even move to a bigger club or league like others before you.

We can live with the record knowing there is a "means to the end".

Easy for you to say. You're not paying for Lynx tickets. You're not making the two hour trek to Etobicoke every weekend. You're not travelling five hours by car to support this team.

I'm tired of seeing our prospects sold off to midtable Scandanavian teams, or worse, the Impact. The pay off of Lynx' development for the national team is all well and good, but when does the team see any results?

Five years - not a single playoff appearance.

But a team in Northern Sweden is that much closer to avoiding the drop, so I guess there's nothing to complain about.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Easy for you to say. You're not paying for Lynx tickets. You're not making the two hour trek to Etobicoke every weekend. You're not travelling five hours by car to support this team.

I'm tired of seeing our prospects sold off to midtable Scandanavian teams, or worse, the Impact. The pay off of Lynx' development for the national team is all well and good, but when does the team see any results?

Five years - not a single playoff appearance.

But a team in Northern Sweden is that much closer to avoiding the drop, so I guess there's nothing to complain about.

You are correct JayWay. I have not been to a Lynx game and it is easy for me to say. I admire your support and dedication and wish I had the time to make the 4 hour round trip every weekend, but you must know how it is ......wife, kids, job, driving your competitive playing daughter all over the province to play soccer. I admire you for being able to do all that and still make it every weekend.

I am planning on seeing the Lynx play this year (daughter taking a break), even though I vowed not to make the drive to sit in the crappy stadium. Maybe I will see you there.

Unfortunately, until we get a new stadium and/or new owners, our only hope for the Lynx is as a development team.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Even that is questionble. Do they really keep propspects around long enough to really earn any credit for their development as national team prospects? In my opinion, NO. How many games did Atiba play for the Lynx? Also, as you said, is mid table scandinavia a significant step upwards and is it the best place to develop talent?

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

You are correct JayWay. I have not been to a Lynx game and it is easy for me to say. I admire your support and dedication and wish I had the time to make the 4 hour round trip every weekend, but you must know how it is ......wife, kids, job, driving your competitive playing daughter all over the province to play soccer. I admire you for being able to do all that and still make it every weekend.

I am planning on seeing the Lynx play this year (daughter taking a break), even though I vowed not to make the drive to sit in the crappy stadium. Maybe I will see you there.

Unfortunately, until we get a new stadium and/or new owners, our only hope for the Lynx is as a development team.

I'm not bashing you for not making it to games. But whatever circumstances you may be dealing with, it does not change the fact that it's a lot easier to look on the bright side of the situation if you are not actively supporting the team, unlike those who do make the drive to the crappy stadium.

Maybe you can live with the record, but you only speak for yourself. I know Ultras who share my opinion, and Ultras who would side with you. But whatever the case, there is no majority, so please don't claim that "we" can tolerate the situation.

quote:

Maybe you can live with the record, but you only speak for yourself. I know Ultras who share my opinion, and Ultras who would side with you. But whatever the case, there is no majority, so please don't claim that "we" can tolerate the situation.

Fair enough. I get your point. Really though as a Lynx fan, aside from the sarcasm in my first reply to you, I am glad that there are those like you who can make it to the games and support the team.

In August, my family is dragging me shopping in Toronto for a weekend, then to Canada's Wonderland :(. In return, I get to "drag" them to Lynx vs. Rhinos :).

What's the problem with the Lynx? The Hartrells. They hired Hubert Busby Junior. Toronto has loads of talent...but Hubert Busby Jr is a total imposter. He was a horrible player (which often makes you a decent coach because you have to really learn the game) and has completely lost his team. Dick Howard by the way is no better as technical director. Is he still even involved, or has he given up too? Can somebody please tell me where Dick Howard played, and where he's coached?

Is it true that Jeremy Piette just walked away from the team? How depressing is that. And whoever made the deal for Josue Mayard has made him the happiest player in the USL. Said Ali is hopeless, and is at best a decent division 2 player.

I feel so sorry for Lynx and Toronto soccer fans...you really deserve so much better than that crap stadium and your ownership. Maybe the best thing that could happen is they fold up shop, get the Hartrells out and start from scratch.

Fold the Toronto team? Then drop the Canadian contingient down to two teams. Well now Calgary and Edmonton can start from scratch. When will they ever come back into the league?

Also, too bad that killing off a men's team usually ends the women's team too.

The Toronto Shooting Stars "took a year off" from indoor competition but who were they kidding. They never came back.

The USL shrank last year from 19 to 12 teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they're down to 8 or 10 next year. Where will they expand to next?

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Fold the Toronto team? Then drop the Canadian contingient down to two teams. Well now Calgary and Edmonton can start from scratch. When will they ever come back into the league?

Also, too bad that killing off a men's team usually ends the women's team too.

The Toronto Shooting Stars "took a year off" from indoor competition but who were they kidding. They never came back.

The USL shrank last year from 19 to 12 teams. I wouldn't be surprised if they're down to 8 or 10 next year. Where will they expand to next?

Good points Robin. It reminds me of the early 80's when the NASL collapsed inwardly upon itself. That league ran out of places to play after the 1983 season and ceased to exist even though there were still five clubs willing to give it a go. Obviously there is a difference in the economics of the old NASL vs. USL Division One but money lost is money lost.

db

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

What's the problem with the Lynx? The Hartrells. They hired Hubert Busby Junior. Toronto has loads of talent...but Hubert Busby Jr is a total imposter. He was a horrible player (which often makes you a decent coach because you have to really learn the game) and has completely lost his team. Dick Howard by the way is no better as technical director. Is he still even involved, or has he given up too? Can somebody please tell me where Dick Howard played, and where he's coached?

Is it true that Jeremy Piette just walked away from the team? How depressing is that. And whoever made the deal for Josue Mayard has made him the happiest player in the USL. Said Ali is hopeless, and is at best a decent division 2 player.

I feel so sorry for Lynx and Toronto soccer fans...you really deserve so much better than that crap stadium and your ownership. Maybe the best thing that could happen is they fold up shop, get the Hartrells out and start from scratch.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Dick Howard by the way is no better as technical director. Is he still even involved, or has he given up too? Can somebody please tell me where Dick Howard played, and where he's coached?

Dick Howard played goal in the NASL from 1968 to 1974, with Detroit, Rochester, and Toronto. He also played a year with Rochester in the ASL, and he was on the books of Chester, in England. I'm not sure where he's coached.

Archived