De Guzman at Depor: 2005-06 Season

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Exactly, he is an Atletico Madrid product and was just signed this year. Is young, has talent, but is a bit of a diver and tends to foul defenders hard unnecessarily. But wily. He came on as a late sub in that match vs. Canada and poached that ball our defense failed to clear and wound it around Karim. Terrible disappointment.

Iniesta scored that day by drifting forwards out of his midfield spot as a striker came back and found and opening as DeTulio lost him, think it was, the only time in the whole game (Jason's game against him that day was very strong I think). Iniesta has stalled a bit this year, he has not lived up to being Xavi's replacement, and is showing himself to be mentally soft, he needs a kick in the butt to get going again as he's immensely talented.

We really had Spain on the ropes that day, I was damn proud of what I was seeing, but let them go, considering they were playing with 10 and all.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have that game on tape and go back and watch it every once in a while. Probably one of the best games I have seen a Canadian NT play, if not the best.

I would be interested to know where some of the other Spaniards ended up if you know off the top of your head, Jeffrey. Just for comparison purposes. For us, Hutch, Hume and Simpson are doing well, and I still hope for good thngs from Arango and Detullio (my two favorite players from that game).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I have that game on tape and go back and watch it every once in a while. Probably one of the best games I have seen a Canadian NT play, if not the best.

I would be interested to know where some of the other Spaniards ended up if you know off the top of your head, Jeffrey. Just for comparison purposes. For us, Hutch, Hume and Simpson are doing well, and I still hope for good thngs from Arango and Detullio (my two favorite players from that game).

From a quick look those players from Spain are still sorting out their careers, though most are in top flight teams working their ways up, with a few exceptions. Here is the Spain line-up and what they are doing now, maybe will fill in some later:

[13] RIESGO (GK) Real Sociedad keeper, staring regularly

[3] PEÑA Not sure, too common a name to figure out (Barça B team left back maybe)

[4] CARLOS GARCIA Plays for Espanyol, centre back

[5] MELLI Plays for Betis, strong player, back

[6] VITOLO Was in Tenerife I think, now at Racing Santander, little quick right back

[8] INIESTA Fighting to fit into Barça, talented ball handler but poor year considering with Xavi injured he has missed a chance

[9] SERGIO GARCIA ( -85) Now at Zaragoza after transferring from Levante, from Barça youth, mid-level top flight striker

[11] GAVILAN ( -77) Now at Getafe, came out of Málaga B team, quick attacking mid

[12] BOUZON From Celta Vigo youth now 1st team, was teammate of D. Fernandes, considered to be a solid ball-handling mid.

[16] GABI With Atletico de Madrid, mid pushing up right or left

[17] JUANFRAN ( -66) Real Madrid player on loan to Espanyol, a mid to right wing

[1] MOYA (GK) Sub keeper, starts for Mallorca

[20] RUBEN (GK) Think this is Barça's third keeper

[2] ALEXIS With Málaga

[7] COROMINAS ( +66) Espanyol 1st team, attacking mid, solid

[10] MANU ( +77) Made the move to San Antonio Spurs (too many with this name to see quickly which one it is)

[14] ARIZMENDI ( +85) From At. Madrid system with Deportivo, striker

[15] GOIKOETXEA V. common Basque name, not sure which it is, perhaps the son of former Bilbao and Spain international Andoni, infamous for chopping down Maradona for a season-ending injury

[18] PINA Not sure

[19] TELLO With Levante in 2nd Division

As mentioned we only really have Hume, Hutch and Simpson looking strong, with Ledgerwood, Wagenaar now and a few others still looking to break through youth ranks. Karim finally went pro but was immediately injured. Not one is playing on a top flight team in a top league, but here's hoping for Nik.

Guest Jeffery S.

Depor coach trained behind closed doors and would not hint at the starting line-up for the Wednesday semi-final 2nd leg vs. Espanyol at Riazor. They are down 2-1, so need to win by 1-0 or by more than two. Or penalties.

With Depor suffering from injuries and cards I think there is a good chance we'll see Julian, who in any case is not exactly enjoying the coach's confidence. But I would say that apart from the keeper Molina, the defenders excepting card crazy Collocini, and Munitis as forward, few players are really enjoying the full confidence of the coach this year, as everything but the defence is playing only average.

I could imagine Julian being assigned to mark De la Peña, only I am not sure with Espanyol up a goal that they'll start such a flamboyant attacking mid. If Depor goes ahead in the tie expect Julian to come in to help hold down the result.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Marco07

I thought this might be of interest. There is a petition going on at www.deportivo-la-coruna.com, which is a English speaking fan club of Deportivo.

They want to see JDG starting instead of Sergio.

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3987

Interesting. The players are comparable. Sergio was very good but has come down a bit, and is getting older. There are also rumours of him going back to Espanyol. Indeed with Duscher rumoured to go to England, Julian would remain as the only young defensive mid on the team. So they should take better care of him.

Speaking of rumours, I hear that Joaquin Caparrós is now being rumoured for the job at Real Madrid after, it seems, Ancelloti, Capello, Benítez, Lippi and who knows how many others have turned them down.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

A surprising game for Julian on Saturday night at home vs. Sevilla, playing right back in a scoreless draw. I hope Ed or the others who have seen him in Germany could comment on him playing there, as this is the first game he has played in the position for Depor.

I thought he was great. He was so comfortable in the spot, staying back when needed, going ahead strongly down the wing and even coming close to setting up the winner, with a great hard cross that almost was knocked in for a goal (m. 60). Had a very fast Adriano in front of him, faster than him, but he held him well and passed out accurately, or when defending higher up dribbled very well out of trouble, applauded a few times by the fans at Riazor. Just to give an idea of Adriano's danger, they guy provoked fouls for yellow cards vs. three Depor players, all trying to hold him in the middle before getting to Julian, who hardly ever even fouled him. In the end he only missed his mark when Adriano was subbed out for Fernando Sales, who got passed him forcing Molina to make a fine stop to cut off the chip, and Julian cleared.

All in all, a surprise for me to see him there, he really liked running the wing, has the condition to mark hard, make the transition with the ball, follow the play all the way forward, come back to cover when the ball goes the other way. I think that will give him points in the club, as it gives him that extra versatility perhaps they were not aware of. I say this as there could be alot of signing at Depor, perhaps the coach will go (Caparrós is not happy with the situation too much), and i am sure, being a signing of the president and Richard Moar, Julian will certainly be at Depor next year.

The team really needs a competent striker, their bunch is either green or, like Tristan, over the hill.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian made the team of the week for the Television Española program El Rondo; the team was chosen by former Atletico Madrid striker Kiko Narváez, who is doing a great job as a journalist, apart from having one of the funniest ways of expressing himself in Spanish football.

Good to see that what I saw was also seen by others, that Julian had a fine game at right back.

DeGuzman is getting some good press recently, especially on his versatility. Here is an article from www.deportivo-la-coruna.com

De-Guzman_023.jpgDE GUZMAN THINKS OF THE UEFA CUP

19 Apr 2006 -- Canadian international Julián de Guzmán could be considered as the multifunctional man of the season, he has played as winger, midfielder and during the last confrontation against Sevilla, he performed as the right back defender, now he could appear again in midfield against Cádiz, proof of his versatility on the pitch and his value to the squad.

So far Julián de Guzmán has played 1,193 minutes during 18 games in la liga, although he has only played six complete matches. The ex-Hannover has also scored a goal, it was in the home confrontation against Real Madrid. His good physical state and velocity are the qualities that coach Caparrós likes about him. Precisely, these characteristics are the main reasons why the Sevillan trainer rotates him on the pitch.

De Guzmán admitted yesterday that the squad is focused in the next UEFA cup: "Right now the Champions League is really difficult although still to be a possibility, but it's less probable than before. For that reason we are concentrated in the UEFA cup, we will try to do our best effort and win the maximum quantity of points in order to qualify into European competitions."

The Canadian player also showed his satisfaction for the work he has done so far in La Coruña: "It's my first season and I knew that it would be difficult to enter Deportivo. It is a squad with great quality, but I am happy, I work each day in order to enjoy the opportunities, and the truth is that it has been better that I thought."

He also commented about his multifaceted roll in the squad: "I am always in disposition to play where the coach needs me, against Sevilla it was in the right side of the defence, and on Sunday it could be as a pivote since Sergio is suspended. I don't know yet if I am going to play, but I hope to help the squad with my effort." It must be added that De Guzmán still faces some troubles with the Spanish style of football although he recognises that his level is "better than before".

I sometimes think the versatile label is almost a kiss of death.

Not necessarily in The Guz's case, but generaly. I mean what does it say? Good team player willing to do what he's asked of, but not good enough to be invaluable in his principle role? Youch. Bawaza.

Okay. Just to clarrify the "Bawaza" was an addition by the Little One whilst your's truly was refreshing his lager.

Also wanted to add not a bad little articule there on The Guz and all in all a pretty successful maiden voyage into Spanish footie so far no matter what happens with the remainder of the season.

Archived