De Guzman at Depor: 2005-06 Season

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Noticed Duscher is being targetted by Newcastle. Can never tell how much truth is in these sort of things but that may or may not be good news for The Guz.

No sense involving a fellow any more than necessary if he's history come the January window.

Duscher was told that if he found another team they would not stop him from going. I am not sure it was a playing time thing, it maybe a question of them not being willing to give him a new contract when his current is out (I am not sure when that is, but soon I think), so they let him find another one. He is older, probably it would be his last. In any case, he is the most direct rival with De Guz on the team, as Sergio gets forward more, Scaloni is a bit more versatile but does not defend as well.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

De Guz did not get off the bench as Depor fell at home to Osasuna 0-1. Goal came against them m. 15 and they thought more about attacking than defending. But actually Depor has done well with Julian in the squad, just a matter of waiting out Caparrós until he sees this clearly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Though having sporadic playing time at Depor, Julian now finds that two potential rivals for his spot could be thinking about moving elsewhere.

Leonel Scaloni, a more attacking mid, is concerned with not getting playing time either, especially as he has fallen out of recent call-ups for the Argentine national team. Scaloni, who has been team captain, seems to not want to leave Depor but also thinks if he does not play more will not see action with his national team in Argentina.

Aldo Duscher, who was told he could be in contact with other teams last summer, seems to be another rival for De Guzman in the midfield holding position who may be moving in the December transfer period. This time it is Newcastle who is seeking to purchase him, after picking up Luque in the pre-season. The deal with Duscher also seems to be his need for more playing time, and his view that he could make more money in a final career contract if he went to a more monied team, like the Magpies.

In any case, if either or both goes, it is clear that Julian will have to pick up a lot of the midfield slack along more regulars Sergio and veteran Toro Acuña.

Guest Jeffery S.

Surprise in the lead-up to Depor's home match vs. Barça this evening (8PM Continental): Julian looks to be starting in the squad on the right side, in a more attacking position, within a 4-2-3-1. Anyways, that is what the press is saying, should be interesting, here we had him as a holding mid and maybe he is being converted into a more attacking player by Caparrós. That would pit him against the left side of Barça's midfield, which could be Van Bommell today, and the left defense. As Van Bronckhorst who usually plays left back is being rested, he could face Brazilian Sylvinho, or Barça's politically radical and underpaid central defender Olegeur might be shifted over to the left. Unusual matchups all told.

Anyways, not playing for the national team these weeks is a benefit, he is probably rested and sharp, while Depor's S Americans have had a lot of travel these days.

It is quite possible Scaloni will sit on the bench, as if he plays another game he cannot transfer to another side in Spain until December. Duscher may not be playing as he has just flown back from Argentine games.

Guest Jeffery S.

I was quite disappointed by his game vs. Barça, starting on the right and then moving over to the left side of the attacking midfield. He got very few touches on the ball, was not as involved in tackling as he is usually in the middle, and did not have the confidence to go forwards effectively: except on the tying goal at a few minutes from time, where he made a fine play.

On the play, with Depor at 2-3 in m. 87, he sort of stripped his own player of the ball as the other held it with his back to the goal 6-7 metres outside the box, ran forwards to the right at a defender in the middle, then sharply swung right into the open, where he could have shot, just into the box. But a teammate was coming in at a better angle on the ball he'd set up and shot, off the near post and back right to young striker Ruben, who knocked it in.

Julian celebrated the goal quite effusively at the bench, with coaches and players. As if he had a bet with them, or as if they'd been pushing him to take more risks offensively and he'd fulfilled.

In any case, for me a crap draw as Barça had this in the bag.

Going back to Julian, I saw a bit of what I saw vs. Spain, he still needs to learn how to participate more, it is as if he lacks knowledge of his own talent. Especially making a risky pass or dribble going forwards, taking on a defender, moving out of his position (he is overly disciplined, a bit naive) when required. But the fact that he got 90 does indicate that his coach was pleased with him, and it will be interesting to see how he develops this year.

I would largely agree with Jeffrey's observations. I thought, however, that Julian's play improved in the second half as he managed to get more involved. On one play he turned Giuly (I think it was Giuly)nicely and managed to draw a yellow card, shortly after which they subbed him off. I also had the impression that although he was sometimes making himself available, some of his team mates were not feeding him the ball as much as they could have. In any event, I'm not sure that this is really the position for him.

Overall Deportivo were extremely lucky as for lareg parts of the game Barcelona were conducting a masterclass in possession and attacking.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by lowlander

I also had the impression that although he was sometimes making himself available, some of his team mates were not feeding him the ball as much as they could have. In any event, I'm not sure that this is really the position for him.

This is a good point, I agree with you. I especially felt it at the start of the match, he would make good runs, get open, get out wide, the ball would not go to him. He was a bit ignored by teammates. But I still think he has to get used to leaving his position when called for and doing what he thinks best, a bit of independence. If your teammates don't find you, you go get the ball. But I know it is not that easy.

Reports here gave him good marks for bothering the Barça mids and even for holding well against the more attacking Barça right side.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Julian slated to start away to Malaga this evening, once again as the right side mid. Deportivo seems to be settling into a starting squad, though this is the first time Julian gets the call in this position in an away game. Good sign for him as Deportivo goes for a third straight win for the first time since the 2003-04 season.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian training away in La Coruña:

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/deportivo/es/index.html

Now the team says they will hang on to Duscher for their midfield and not sell him, keeping another competitor with Julian on the squad. But since the latest set-up is working for them, I think DeG will continue to get playing time.

Depor is said to be looking at central defenders, and are looking at Uche, a Nigerian in Spain 2nd division at Recreativo Huelva. Should be a peaceful time for Julian as national team committments leave him alone.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Depor is said to be looking at central defenders, and are looking at Uche, a Nigerian in Spain 2nd division at Recreativo Huelva. Should be a peaceful time for Julian as national team committments leave him alone.

Don't know if you clearly stated it, but Uche is a striker for Recreativo, not a defender. He is the top goalscorer right now in the Spanish 2nd Division with 9 goals in 9 games.

Also, Scaloni has been in the media recently with a possible switch back to his old club in Argentina Estudiantes. Although nothing has been confirmed he isn't making things better as the headlines during the last days have him criticizing the procedures of the Galician club. He has said that Depor's officials are going about it the wrong way in there contract renewals for players who have only a year or so remaining. Is causing quite a stir with some Depor fans.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Marco07

Don't know if you clearly stated it, but Uche is a striker for Recreativo, not a defender. He is the top goalscorer right now in the Spanish 2nd Division with 9 goals in 9 games.

Also, Scaloni has been in the media recently with a possible switch back to his old club in Argentina Estudiantes. Although nothing has been confirmed he isn't making things better as the headlines during the last days have him criticizing the procedures of the Galician club. He has said that Depor's officials are going about it the wrong way in there contract renewals for players who have only a year or so remaining. Is causing quite a stir with some Depor fans.

Yes, the search for a central defender for next season is apart from a backup striker for Tristan come the Xmas transfer window.

The real problem with Scaloni and Duscher is that both want to be in the World Cup, and could be, and both are a bit speculating on how coming out of the WC they may have more lucrative offers. So it is a good time to sell them next summer, but they need to play now to get onto the Argentina squad.

Guest Jeffery S.

This weekend Julian played one of his most interesting games of the season for Depor. Though the rival was unlucky, with two own goals that did not do full justice to the play, the 0-3 at the Sardinero in Santander put Depor into a tie in 5th spot, just 5 points off the lead.

With Duscher injured Julian was asked to go back into the holding mid position alongside Sergio, in a 4-2-3-1. But in general he was tremendouly mobile, more than I had ever seen him. On the first goal, a low cross in that the Racing player knocked in, he was running into the far post and could have scored himself if the ball had made it through. Meaning he was going forward with many attacks and dropping back to defend the whole way, and pretty well at full steam the entire match. On Depor corners once again he played back, and often would be at centre back for a period of play until the regular backs returned to position after going forwards for the header.

Finally, on the third goal he moved wide right in the attack, and gave a sharp quick pass into the middle that was then turned further left over the defenders for Taborda to head in the 0-3.

Basically what I am seeing is that he is being given more freedom of movement as long as he does not neglect his defensive duties, and that he is confident enough now to begin to enjoy this freedom on the team.

A consideration: in Yallop's 4-3-3 has anyone thought that maybe Julian could be an option on the right side of the attacking 3, especially in a match where we have to be a bit more defensive? As even on Sunday he was often moving into this slot, while the previous games he played there fully, it would be a position he'd be ready for.

Thanks for the update Jeffrey. It sounds like Julian is settling in nicely, which I had hoped for given his tremendous work rate away from the games themselves that he's shown everywhere else he's been.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Thanks for the update Jeffrey. It sounds like Julian is settling in nicely, which I had hoped for given his tremendous work rate away from the games themselves that he's shown everywhere else he's been.

He has taken all of three months to regularly start, even when direct rivals in his position are healthy.

Though they have just gotten Victor, the regular right wing, back healthy after a long layoff. So he'll now have a rival there as well. In any case, we have to be very pleased with Caparrós, who was given him without asking for him and has ended up using him in various spots on a squad that is playing very well lately.

My preference for Canada would be to eventually play the 4-2-3-1 (or 4-3-3) as I think it best suits are side.

With Julien and Atiba playing the 2 in the 4-2-3-1 with Bernier/Serioux as back ups. The one up top could be one of Occean, Gerba, Friend or Johnson. The middle in the 3 could be either De Rossario or De Guzman the younger (hopefully, the latter) and the wings could be from Radzinski, Hume, Peters, De Rossario (if not in the middle) or Brennan or Simpson for a more defensive posture. De Jong is also a possibility there. At the back, you have Kluklowski on the left (with Brennan/Simpson/Jazic as possibles) and Stalteri on the right (with Ledgerwood/Braz as possible back ups) and in the middle McKenna with one of Reda, Gervais, Arrango, Marshal, Edgar, Haineault, Vitoria depending on who develops over the next 2 to 3 years.

Re; An Observer.

Just going to interrupt for a minute;

Serioux has fallen off the planet. Or at the least fallen off enough to be out of any Canada side for quite a while. Hoping he'll be back in boots this summer at least in Div 1 somewhere but I guess we'll see. If it comes down to Bernier or Bircham as an alternate to Red Card Serioux, methinks it'll have to be kiss and make up time for Yallop and Birch.

Re All those who have GolTV.

PISS OFF.

I am paying a hefty price as well but this Gol thing is for free as I understand it.I have Dish T.V as well and that's even better.I sure miss my Direct T.V. This Gol thing shows a lot of S.A games and I have to read up on these leagues and teams before I can get interested. We will see. I also noticed that the quality of these games are not as good as the Euro stuff.Anyway we now have 24/7 soccer and I now start to wonder if this is not to much.

What channel number is Gol TV for Bell expressview subscribers. I was able to find this channell a few weeks ago and caught a game. But I have never been able to since. I suspect that it was another channell picking up the feed from Gol but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm?

GolTV was only on ExpressVu on channel 404 for a couple of days while they were testing things (although I read that 404 is LeafsTV for some people). But apparently there isn't an agreement in place between Bell and the company behind GolTV Canada as of yet.

I really wanted it for the Australia-Uruguay WCQs and the Barca-Real Madrid match, and didn't get to see either live. I can't say I have much eagerness for it at the moment. I cannot believe that they show Direct Kicks on this channel.

Archived