De Guzman at Depor: 2005-06 Season

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Don't know if this will end up being a long thread about Julián over the summer, pre-season basically, in any case will try to keep folks up on news.

He was supposed to be presented officially today, it is even announced in some papers this morning, but the presentation was called off yesterday the 13th. Turns out he arrived yesterday to La Coruña to look at the house he is going to live in, and leaves today for Germany to take care of personal questions. Both he and the club president Lendoiro could not coordinate agendas to do the official act today.

He has been signed up for the Intertoto, and the club officially begins training next week (!), on the 20th, as they play their first Intertoto round the first midweek of July. So unlikely to be at the Gold Cup guys.

All reports about him are very positive in La Coruña. Turns out that Andrade, the Portugal back, spoke highly of him to teammates at Depor after the friendly in Barcelos. Everyone in Galicia sees him as someone signed to take over the tasks of Mauro Silva, though other comparisons made are with Makalele. In any case, looks good for him.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Interview in Marca, largest sport daily in Spain (over one million sold daily), this morning (must say the bit about him not knowing he had a new coach is kinda funny):

THE FIRST SIGNING ARRIVED THIS MONDAY TO LA CORUÑA

De Guzmán: "I am sure the fans are going to enjoy my play"

Juan Yordi. La Coruña. 14.06.05

The new signing for Deportivo landed this Monday in the city with lots of hope and the desire to win the support of the fans.

-Are you eager to begin the most important challenge of your career?

I really want to get started. It has been very important for me to sign for a club like Deportivo. Now I think that it was an easy decision to make considering the team I am going to play with. I am very pleased and very keen to be able to play in the Spanish league.

-The Bundesliga finished just a few weeks ago. Have you been able to rest?

I did not have time to go to Canada and have a holiday. I was in Hannover enjoying a few days off with my friends. Five weeks ago I injured my ankle and I decided to get healed instead of traveling. I won't have any problems to begin the pre-season with my teammates.

-Are you now a hundred percent healthy?

I am getting better and better, though the only thing that matters to me is to start already, I am crazy to start training and I have gotten use to the idea that I am going to live in Spain.

-You know that Depor has signed a new coach: does that alter your situation a bit?

I don't think so. They signed me because they think I can be useful to the team. Sincerly, I have come to work hard and make things difficult for the coach when it comes to deciding on a starting eleven.

-What do you know about the person who will be your new coach, Joaquín Caparrós?

Joaquín Caparrós? I don't know him, I didn't know he was the new coach, but if Deportivo has signed him he must be good, so I am looking forward to meeting my new teammates, and of course the coach. técnico.

-The preseason begins in a week. Will you be able to keep up?

My ankle is getting better every day. The doctors have told me that next week I should be able to run without problems and train hard, to the limit. I still have a few days to get in shape. If we begin on the 21st it will be better for me, I will have more days to get ready.

-What do you have to say to the fans who have yet to see you play?

Even though I am unknown here I am sure the fans are going to enjoy watching me play, I am going to give my all.

It would be a big surprise if he were to suit up for the GC. One bit of good news is that he will be in his prime when the next round of WCQ kicks off in 2008-9. The big question is whether or not, under the current coach, Canada plays a style that is best suited to his abilities. I have noticed in the few times that I have seen JDG in an Hannover jersey that he has a different impact on a game .

Under the FIFA Regs, Canada could force any club to release a player for a Continental Championship, as much as 15 days before the competition starts. However, it's hardly worth it for this comp.

If Yallop is not going to play hardball against clubs in the WCQ's, you can hardly expect him to do it before the GC.

Had Yallop, for instance, insisted under the rules on the release of Radzinski and De Vos from thier club matches the weekend before the August 18 WCQ match against Guatemala, they should have been ready and able to play. They were not (whatever the stories were, especially with Radz), and the disruption affected the preparation and performance of the match greatly. That first match set the tone for the whole failed campaign.

De Guzman should stay in Galicia. He's fighting for a place on a club, both clubs (especially the one from Serbia) are a lot stronger than some here may realize, he may be injured in the poorly reffed GC, the GC is not worth it, and he has already proved his devotion to Canada numerous times in the past when it really counted. God bless 'im!

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Had Yallop, for instance, insisted under the rules on the release of Radzinski and De Vos from thier club matches the weekend before the August 18 WCQ match against Guatemala, they should have been ready and able to play. They were not (whatever the stories were, especially with Radz), and the disruption affected the preparation and performance of the match greatly. That first match set the tone for the whole failed campaign.

And that pretty much sums up what has now become priority number one for soccer in Canada in so far as future success of our MNT. You cannot rely 100% on a team composed of players trained and developed overseas. That experiment is now over.

We need a team with a solid core ( approximately 50-70%) of domestic players and to be successfull they have to be playing domestically at a much more competitive and professional level than where they are playing now. Of course there will always be a place for established players at places Bremen/Spurs, Depor, and Fulham. But places like Helsingborg, Tranmere, Saarbrucken? Well hopfully those players will come home or graduate to greener pastures.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian had his medical and the doctors recognized he was close to being fully healed from a ligament injury in his ankle picked up 5 weeks ago. He'll be ready to start training next week.

Meanwhile, the team has signed Málaga striker Baiano, think he is Brazilian. Word is too that they are looking at keepers, as Molina is ageing (he had the same cancer as Forrest and recovered well, maybe they caught it earlier).

Depor playing Intertoto may be an advantage for Julian, as the club will be involved in a lot more matches, the season will be longer too, and they'll need a bigger squad. Which means I think he'll get his chances early on. And considering his physical condition he'll probably shine from the start, unless he has lost a bit with the injury.

Guest Jeffery S.

Article from Marca below my comments:

De Guzman, who is called "Bobby" by the press here at times, was presented officially as a Depor player today, after the team's first morning session. Deportivo de la Coruña is the first Primera Division team to begin the pre-season, warming up for their Intertoto tie.

Just two days ago the new coach, Caparrós, mentioned he was in daily contact with Richard Moar, who is the main influence in De G. being signed here. This is a good sign as it suggests he'll get a fair shake from the start with the new trainer. There are only 16 first team players training now, so the Intertoto will likely start with 11 of them on the field.

Re below, I personally think the he overestimates the role of being physical in Spain, here technique is much more important: the average Spanish team can pass through a strong midfield much better than a German side. Hopefully he'll learn this here too.

An odd article from Marca on the presentation, esp. for the comments on his physical condition:

The Midfielder Has Already Trained as a Deportivista

De Guzmán: "If I imposed myself in Germany with my physical conditions, I can do it here in Spain too".

The Canadian Bobby De Guzmán lived his first moments as a Deportivo de La Coruña player, the club where he will play for the next four years. The debut of the midfielder, who has come from German club Hannover 96 alemán, was conditioned with some problems he still has in his ankle.

"I have a strong technique, which united with my physical conditions, could help me in the Spanish league: if I could impose myself physically in German football, I guess I can do the same in Spain", said De Guzmán.

The Canadian player, who promised "work and committment", was accompanied in his first press session by Ricardo Moar, a consultant to the president of Deportivo, and one of the main supporters of his signing.

The Injury

"I do not feel pain, though I can feel the consequences of the injury when I put pressure on my ankle", said De Guzmán, who had a Level II sprain in the outside lateral ligament of his left ankle six weeks ago.

"I still have a bit of liquid in it, but it reabsorbs itself and I won't have any problems to get through pre-season training", added in German the Canadian from a Phillipine background. De Guzmán comes to Deportivo as the natural substitute of the retired Mauro Silva, who he hopes to imitate thanks to his powerful physical characteristics.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman was seen on national tv -TVE- this morn, running alone in the Tuesday morn training session. Seems he needs time to get his ankle in shape. One report even suggested he may have had a scare with reinjury yesterday.

Trainer Caparros wanted to imitate a Milanello style training camp, with players eating and sleeping in a residence, but it does not work with the Depor facilities. Still, they are training twice daily, eat together, and after a few days in a hotel will be allowed to sleep at home.

The coach has also come out saying that of course his Depor will play to the limit of the rules (meaning physically tough) the way his former team Sevilla did, though I hope they are not as thuggish as Sevilla can be.

Guest Jeffery S.

Depor opens against Budocnost from Podgorica in Montenegro next Saturday, July 2, in the Intertoto 2nd round. Home in La Coruña, away the next weekend.

Riazor, Deportivo's stadium literally on the beach of the same name, rarely if ever is filled, though the fans there are vociferous and loyal. I think if they get 6-8 thousand for this they should be happy. Or maybe a few more if they offer cheap seats to let the families entertain kids during holidays.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman was not on the apparent starting 11 for Saturday's Intertoto match in an inter-squad scrimmage yesterday. His place as defensive mid seems to have been given to Toro Acuña, a player oddly loaned out to a Saudi team last year, and in his thirties.

I think that Julian may have started training last week with some ankle problems, as he has not been 100% physically he has probably not been able to show his potential.

I also think that since he has been pegged strictly for the defensive mid role since signing he may have to prove greater versatility to get more playing team as a mid who can go both ways.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian is in the list of 18 called for the Intertoto game vs. Buducnost, playing Saturday the 2nd starting at 9:15 continental time. The game will be shown on TV Galicia, webcast 24 hours at

http://www.crtvg.es/tvg/arquivosflash/galego/pritvg.htm

Click on "TVG En Directo", then on "Conectar" and choose your player.

De Guzmán is not expected to start, with his place going to Sergio González and Toro Acuña as two holding mids in front of the defense. The coach is lining up the team essentially in a 4-2-3-1, with offensive, mobile mids behind the striker.

Re the television, the interesting thing is that over the year many King's Cup matches, Intertoto and perhaps UEFA if they get there, and the occasional Saturday night match will be on live through this channel.

Guest Jeffery S.

TVG can't handle the traffic, so have listened to on Radio Marca, mostly calling the game but with other sports as well this eve.

De Guzman has started surprisingly instead of Acuña, on the bench, and after a half they are up 1-0. His first 45 minutes at Riazor in front of the fans, great sign.

Still going m. 70, I see that TVG does not have the game online, not sure how that works, usually it is live programming.

In any case Radio Marca is calling the game play by play now, at http://www.marca.es/radiomarca/

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

TVG can't handle the traffic, so have listened to on Radio Marca, mostly calling the game but with other sports as well this eve.

De Guzman has started surprisingly instead of Acuña, on the bench, and after a half they are up 1-0. His first 45 minutes at Riazor in front of the fans, great sign.

Still going m. 70, I see that TVG does not have the game online, not sure how that works, usually it is live programming.

In any case Radio Marca is calling the game play by play now, at http://www.marca.es/radiomarca/

Sergio gets the second, tens minutes to go.

Radio Marca commentators from Coruña have had interesting things to say about Julian. That his technique is not "exquisite" -good but not spectacular- but that he is a very hard worker, runs everywhere, and will be able to contribute a lot to the team. They have mentioned that in the official physical condition tests in training a few days ago he beat them all and was given an ovation from the rest of his teammates.

Guest Jeffery S.

Depor win 3-0, a good cushion for next week's leg.

Coach Caparrós had this to say in the press conference after the game, very positive:

Pese a que Caparrós prefirió hablar del trabajo colectivo, el de Utrera no dudó en destacar la actuación del medio centro canadiense De Guzmán y, sobre todo, del canterano Iván Carril, que debutó con el Deportivo en la segunda parte.

De Guzmán

"De Guzmán es un chico joven, un portento físico, pero acaba de llegar y cuando se aclimate un poco más va a crecer como futbolista, mientras que Iván Carril ha demostrado que con diez días de entrenamiento es una realidad. Si sigue esa línea va a ser un jugador muy importante", concluyó Caparrós.

Translation:

Though Caparrós preferred to speak of the group effort, the coach from Utrera did not hesitate to point to the performance of the Canadian midfielder De Guzmán, and above all the youth system product Iván Carril, who debuted for Deportivo in the second half.

"De Guzmán is a young lad, physically powerful, but he has just arrived and when he settles in a little more he is going to grow as a footballer, while Iván Carril has shown that with ten days training he is a reality. If he continues in this way he is going to be a very important player", concluyó Caparrós.

Guest Jeffery S.

The Marca reporter was not as enthusiastic as his coach or other commentators in his piece on the game:

'Había expectación por contemplar al canadiense Julián De Guzmán, hasta el momento único fichaje del Deportivo para la próxima temporada, y la verdad, es que el medio centro dejó indiferentes a los escasos espectadores que se acercaron hasta Riazor. El teórico sustituto natural del retirado Mauro Silva desplegó poderío físico y poco más, ya que con el balón en los pies el norteamericano mostró bastante poco.'

Translation:

There was expectation to watch the Canadian Julián de Guzmán, until now the only signing by Deportivo for next season, and the truth is that the centre midfielder left the few spectators in the stands at Riazor indifferent. The theoretical substitute for the retired Mauro Silva showed physical strenght and little more, since with the ball on his feet the North American showed really little.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman is one of 17 called into the Depor squad for the Intertoto away match in Montenegro this Saturday. Sergio González, who was beside him in the first leg, and Valerón, have both been left off, supposedly to 'rest'.

Striker Luque and mid Duscher are still off after coming back late after playing internationally this summer.

Duscher and Sergio are potential rivals for Julian in the middle at Depor, along with Toro Acuña, who'll probably accompany him for this match in front of the defence.

Lionel Scaloni, back from the Argentine squad at Confed Cup and the new team captain, is back on the squad.

Guest Jeffery S.

After going through in their Intertoto round Deportivo will face Slaven Bolupo of Croatia in the next round, a similar kind of opponent as the Montenegrinos (or however you say it). I'd say they are accessible, but since At. Bilbao fell to another team I've never heard of, this time from Romania, Cluj, so you can't be too careful.

With a full squad ready by next week it will be interesting to see if Julian can continue playing.

They are back training Tuesday afternoon.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

After going through in their Intertoto round Deportivo will face Slaven Bolupo of Croatia in the next round, a similar kind of opponent as the Montenegrinos (or however you say it). I'd say they are accessible, but since At. Bilbao fell to another team I've never heard of, this time from Romania, Cluj, so you can't be too careful.

With a full squad ready by next week it will be interesting to see if Julian can continue playing.

They are back training Tuesday afternoon.

Very OT, but Cluj is an amazing sports town in Transylvania. Hockey is actually very popular there. If anyone's looking for a slightly unexplored European travel destination I'd highly recommend it. Very beautiful country and very cheap. Go cheer on Julian if they meet in the next round.

The draw for the rest of the Intertoto Cup was completed today. If Deportivo can beat Slaven Bolupo in the 3rd round, they will face one of FK ZTS Dubnica (Slovakia) or Newcastle United FC (England). If they get past that round, they will face one of S.S. Lazio (Italy), Tampere United (Finland), BSC Young Boys (Switzerland) or Olympique de Marseille (France) in the final round.

Archived