atiba to Birmingham?

To put it in perspective, the most famous people to come out of Birmingham:

Judas Priest, Ozzy and the original cast of Black Sabbath.

Further unsavory characters at the club: Jermaine Pennant, busted for drving drunk...twice in one month!

It could only be worse for our boy if he was sent to Birmingham, Alabama!

At least the fans have some sense!

Blues fans tell Bowyer to 'stay away'

Birmingham look set to miss out on the signing of Lee Bowyer after a petition by supporters which has infuriated club owner David Sullivan.

Bowyer: Not universally popular. (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

Bowyer will leave Newcastle this summer after an on-the-pitch incident between him and team-mate Keiron Dyer last season.

The Blues appeared to be in pole position in the race to sign the 28-year-old former England international but a section of fans publicised their opposition to his signing through an online petition.

And Sullivan is 'absolutely gutted' that the club could lose out on one of their main summer targets.

'It looks like we are now going to lose out on a terrific player due to a small minority of fans, and I am absolutely gutted,' he told the club's official website.

'English midfielders with his ability are so hard to find. Lee Bowyer would be a fantastic addition to our side.

'We are looking to build the best squad that this club has ever had and the signing of Lee would take us a long way down that road.

'But the player has now said that he doesn't want to go to a club where he is not wanted.

'We are potentially going to lose out on a terrific player as a result of this petition and I can't describe how disappointed I feel at the moment.'

The St Andrews club are yet to find a long-term replacement for controversial midfielder Robbie Savage who left the midlands to join Blackburn last season.

Sullivan revealed former Leeds star Bowyer was second only to last week's signing Mikael Forssell on manager Steve Bruce's wanted list.

Helsingborg have made an offer to Swedish midfielder Joakim Persson who played last year for Hansa Rostock. Rostock's relegation probably negated his contract and he has turned down Rostock's offer. Could he be planned as Atiba's replacement?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Helsingborg have made an offer to Swedish midfielder Joakim Persson who played last year for Hansa Rostock. Rostock's relegation probably negated his contract and he has turned down Rostock's offer. Could he be planned as Atiba's replacement?

Helsingborg have been eyeing Joakim Persson and other Hansa swedes a long time. It is not related to Atiba going. With Hansa Persson played a DM position that was more D than M, more like former Helsingborg captain Jesper Jansson (who left the club this winter) than Atiba.

And, being borned and raised in Helsingborg, Persson is a fan's choice. He started in the same small suburb club as Henrik Larsson.

Birmingham co-owner David Sullivan is concerned that the negative response from a section of fans to Lee Bowyer's proposed signing will put other players off joining the club.

Bowyer pulled out of the switch from Newcastle to St Andrews after supporters voiced their concerns about him joining Blues through an internet campaign.

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce was furious that such actions may have cost him the services of a player he was desperate to bring into the club.

And Sullivan is worried that other potential signings will look at the way Bowyer has been treated and decide against joining the midlands outfit.

Sullivan said: 'Not every player in the world is beating down the doors of St Andrews to come to Birmingham City but we had virtually done a deal with Lee and we had done a deal with Newcastle over his transfer.

'It has been spiked by the actions of some of our supporters. I think a lot of players will now think twice about coming to Birmingham City.

'Footballers want to be loved by the fans. They don't want to be hated. Good players won't come where they are not wanted. It's as simple as that.'

Bowyer may yet have a change of heart if he can be convinced that the actions of supporters relate to the minority and not the majority of Birmingham followers.

Already a rival petition has been set up on which fans are showing their support for the 28-year-old.

But internet campaigner Daniel Ivery remains adamant that Bowyer, who has courted controversy on and off the field during his career, is not the type of player Birmingham should be signing.

He said: 'I don't think that Lee Bowyer is a positive role model. We have got players like Mario Melchiot, Emile Heskey and Kenny Cunningham - all of them consummate professionals.

'That's what Birmingham are known as now, a team of consummate professionals.

Let me get this straight: the guy who started throwing punches with one of his own teammates during a game has now refused to sign because of a few hundred supporters signing an online petition??? What a 8888-9999ing baby. Unbelievable that the mangement is so put out. It's like crying about a lost opportunity to have Michael watch the kids. Get over it.

note: personally I'm not offended, but I guess we do have to be consistent here. Sorry. :mod

So much for the testing of moral standards. I'm going to believe it was a rigged poll.

"Birmingham fans have given massive support to the club's bid to sign Newcastle midfielder Lee Bowyer.

In a phone poll conducted by the Birmingham Evening Mail, 94 per cent said they wanted Bowyer to make the move from St James' Park this summer.

The overwhelming vote of support for the one-time England player will give Blues manager Steve Bruce an extra boost in his attempt to persuade Bowyer to sign.

Bowyer, the former Leeds player, rejected a move to City last week after fans on an internet site voiced their disapproval.

Bruce said he was ``disgusted'' his attempts to secure Bowyer's signature had been sabotaged before going away on holiday.

But Birmingham fans in favour of the signing were then mobilised into action and an internet petition pleading with him to join has received support from more than 2,000 people.

Bruce met with Bowyer face-to-face a week last Friday and has again spoken to the 28-year-old after he agreed to think again about his decision.

A final answer is expected from Bowyer in the next few days. In addition to the Evening Mail poll, various Birmingham fans' internet sites have run polls on whether Bowyer should be signed or not.

The keeprighton.co.uk website revealed 75 per cent of their participants voted wanted Bowyer to become a Birmingham player."

quote:Originally posted by canso

So much for the testing of moral standards. I'm going to believe it was a rigged poll.

Thanks for that canso (by the way, is that "canso" as in the Straight of Canso separating Cape Breton from the mainland? It's hard to tell, as you are one of those evel posters that don't divulge location).

Looks like Bowyer is realizing that he'd better grab the money and run, as he is probably running out of lucrative options. Maybe he feels that sincerely apologizing for his past behaviour and promising the fans to take an anger management course is beneath him.

The Lynx should take a few lessons from Birmingham about how to make their "turning-black-into-white" press releases more effective!

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

I'm surprised the board's automatic censor allowed Mr. Youllneveretc's message to appear untouched. Perhaps Mr. Youllneveretc or the mods would like to change it, lest we descend into tolerating language like that in all messages.

What's it to you bitch? ;)

Much like Alberta, this board needs a rat patrol.

Since you asked, Canso is a declarative, optimistic statement, although argumentative, (as in "Canada can not qualify for the World Cup." "Can so!") but is also a reference to the town which provided the setting for my greatest moment in soccer when I scored the winner in the regional playoffs. I still remember that stench of fishguts!

But back to Attiba, this kid is the key to it all, and if he starts hangin about with the likes of Lee Bowyer I fear for him. I mean Russia is one thing, but Birmingham seems worse!

Cluck-Cluck-Cluck. Call me a mother hen, but I just don't want my boy associating with the likes!

Excuse me for turning this into the Bowyer to Birmingham thread, but it is a worthy cause.

Supporters revolt

Norman Hubbard

It was a watershed in football history. Transfers have been cancelled for a variety of reasons - excessive wage demands, medical complications, late interest from rival clubs - but surely never before because of a petition on the internet.

Bowyer and Dyer come to blows. The moment Bowyer sealed his Newcastle United departure. (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

But when Lee Bowyer, who had hitherto appeared impervious to public opinion, heard about the disapproval of Birmingham supporters, he pulled out of a move to St Andrews.

In revealing his sensitive side, Bowyer also showed his desperation.

Increasingly unwanted, the prospect of becoming a footballing pariah may worry even the most feckless of players.

The move could still be resurrected. Co-owner David Sullivan came to Bowyer's defence. Other fans have backed the transfer or, with a different emphasis, insisted that Steve Bruce has earned the right to sign whoever he wants.

But a majority verdict does not mean Bowyer has passed his moral fitness test.

The recent furore is testament to the power of one comparatively new medium; the internet, and further evidence of an older phenomenon; the misbehaviour of footballers. But Birmingham has become a refuge for supposed troublemakers (and defectors from Graeme Souness' clubs) without provoking protests from the public.

Bruce bid for the combustible Craig Bellamy in January. He then signed Jermaine Pennant, whose loan spell was interrupted by a stint in prison. He built a team around Robbie Savage, never popularity personified, but the Welshman's brand of cartoon villainy is largely harmless, while Bowyer is perceived as a more malevolent character.

And a decade into his career, Lee Bowyer is a repeat offender. Admittedly, he was acquitted of all charges resulting from an attack on Asian student in Leeds (unlike Jonathan Woodgate, who was convicted of affray).

However, his brawl with Kieron Dyer could bring a further court case. Bowyer has already paid a record fine (he rivals Chelsea in his ability to incur them).

But a touch of humility would not go amiss. His habitual snarl hardly helps Bowyer's cause either. Nor does a sense of unfulfilled potential. He is yet to replicate the stellar form he displayed at Leeds. No midfielder in the Champions League was more potent in front of goal in 2000-1.

In four subsequent seasons, two have been disastrous, the other two merely, by his own high standards, satisfactory.

Yet, in between the three red cards last year, there were glimpses of the old Bowyer; the extraordinary stamina, coupled with the timing of his runs into the opposition penalty box and a willingness to tackle anyone. He was an integral part of Newcastle's revival after Christmas and a major cause of their collapse in the final weeks of the season.

Pilloried for his move from Crystal Palace to Birmingham, Bruce recognises that vilification itself is not a reason to ignore players. His ability to rehabilitate them is an impressive feature of his managerial career.

But he appears to have forgotten the importance of fans in football, saying: 'I can only say how disgusted I am that my decision to sign a particular player has been questioned in this manner.'

No manager could, or should, conduct his transfer policy according to suggestions on internet chatrooms. Messageboards can be populated by knee-jerk opinions. But Bowyer's is an exceptional case.

Lee Bowyer: A player fans love to really, really hate. (ShaunBotterill/GettyImages)

Boos for Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira or Alan Shearer are often the voices of barely disguised admiration. They are players people love to hate. Bowyer is simply hated.

It is, in part, a product of footballers' greater presense in the tabloid media; they are becoming living proof that you should never meet your heroes, even if few idolise Bowyer any more.

There is a growing dissatisfaction with the vulgarity of the culture of conspicuous consumption that is indirectly financed by fans. But überchav Wayne Rooney and wide boy Rio Ferdinand are respected as players, if not necessarily off the pitch.

And Bowyer also represents the unaccountability of footballers, moving from club to club on lucrative contract after moneymaking deal. And whether or not his impact is corrosive, his legacy is hardly one to boast of.

Leeds' lengthy decline was starting when he jumped ship to West Ham, who were promptly relegated. He arrived at Newcastle after they finished fourth, and could leave with them 14th, their lowest Premiership finish.

Then there is the question of the motivation for that most time-consuming and expensive of hobbies, supporting a football club. Only a handful enjoy outstanding success, and Birmingham City have not been one of them.

Supporters of other teams take pride in different things, whether a tradition of attacking football, the efforts of wholehearted players or the loyalty of long-suffering fans.

The point Manchester United fans have been trying to make to Malcolm Glazer is that support, however devoted, is not unconditional.

That is the reason why some Birmingham City fans are revolting. They think Lee Bowyer is revolting.

And you don't think this guy's a 888-9999?

Football 365.com:

Bowyer 'scared of Asians'

Tuesday June 21 2005

Birmingham co-owner David Sullivan has revealed Lee Bowyer's fears over his personal safety were a major factor in the midfielder finally rejecting the chance to join the club.

Bowyer also cited wanting to join a club in London or France as a significant reason for him declining the efforts of Blues to sign him from Newcastle.

Sullivan told the Birmingham Evening Mail that 28-year-old Bowyer had told him he was fearful of an attack by Asian people "ready to kick seven bells out of him''.

Bowyer was acquitted of all charges in relation to the attack on an Asian student in Leeds city centre four years ago.

The one-time England midfielder had initially turned down a move to St Andrews because of opposition via an internet petition by City fans.

The majority of supporters then made it clear they wanted Bowyer to join and manager Steve Bruce had been trying to persuade him to change his mind - but his efforts have proved to be in vain.

Sullivan said: "Steve, we thought, had talked him round but he was genuinely worried that one night there would be 10 Asians waiting outside his house ready to kick seven bells out of him.

"He told us yesterday that he would only leave Newcastle if a London club came in for him, or one from France. Why France? Apparently he likes it and believes he could live quite anonymously over there.

"We are not going to beg if someone clearly doesn't want to join us. We will battle on. We gave it our best shot, and we have lost this round - but there are others still to come. We will just have to go out and find a better player. The search goes on.''

Sullivan added: "I would ask fans not to give the people who organised the 'no' petition against Lee Bowyer a hard time. They started it with all the best intentions in the world.

"Ultimately, we're all Birmingham City supporters and want what's best for the club. Sometimes we won't agree on things but we all have to pull together.

"Maybe people might accept they could have made a mistake. I would rather we now let it lie, put it all behind us and get on with our lives.

"I'd like to thank those fans who got behind us and made it clear to him how much we wanted to see him in our team.

"But when he spoke to Steve right at the start, his first question was `what about the big Asian population in Birmingham?'''

But when he spoke to Steve right at the start, his first question was `what about the big Asian population in Birmingham?'''

So this was all the fault of the minorities then Lee? A racial conspiracy? If it wasn't for the immigrants then you'd be gainfully employed instead of hiding in your mom's basement waiting for your dole?

What a turd! I would hope that wherever he goes there can be found at least 10 people of any racial background who want to "kick seven bells" out of him!

If Bowyer was a real man he would sign for Birmingham and make peace with the Asian community, make a break with his troubled, violent past and take anger management therapy. That would have been a perfect way to remove the past taints and relaunch his career. Sadly he isnt that much of a man, just a hothead with no humility who thinks he has options. He just doesnt realise that football doesnt need him. He will just go abroad or down a division and eventually be forgotten. What a shame, he could have starred for England....

Bowyer is not coming and Darren Carter is going. The way is open for Attiba, although I still don't think Birmingham is the best EPL club for him.

"Birmingham have accepted West Brom's £1.5million offer for midfielder Darren Carter.

Albion have now been given permission to talk to the 21-year-old about personal terms, which they will do when the player returns from holiday.

Chairman Jeremy Peace said: 'Bryan Robson has highlighted Darren as one of the players he wants to bring to the club.

'Our offer has been accepted by Blues and we will begin talks with Darren now that he has returned from holiday.'

West Brom could pay a further £250,000 depending on appearances and how they fare.

Carter spent three months of last season on loan with Sunderland before returning to City where he managed to hold down a first-team place, scoring four goals in 17 matches throughout the second half of the campaign.

If the deal goes through, he will be fondly remembered at St Andrews as the player whose successful spot-kick sent Blues into the Premiership three years ago in the play-off final penalty shoot-out against Norwich in Cardiff."

Archived