Serbia - Italy (R) LIVE

Jarrek

I heard the attendance was 22,000 or so? That's pretty low. I think it wasn't marketed enough. I know some people feel that the rosters were "garbage", but these are people who are familiar with the name "Inzaghi" and don't realize that Lucarelli was the top scorer in Serie A this year. Not that I care either way.

No less than three pitch invasions by Serbian fans towards the end of the game, a few minutes after Italy equalized. Probably to help their team at the time as the 10 men of Italy were starting to run the 11 men of Serbia ragged, as strange as that sounds. It gave the Serbian team a breather of sorts & killed momentum, though Italy still nearly scored anyway.

Attendance was over 22,000, which seemed to be the actual attendance (I'm used to over-inflated attendances after so many Lynx games). Good crowd considering how late the game was announced, that it was on a Wednesday, & how high the high prices for a B team friendly (though I understood from some Serbian fans that some players were A teamers, including the keeper who apparently had not give up a goal in international play until tonight)

I've seen Italy's national team play live twice, and each time they have had a man sent off around the 31st minute and have come back to score & get a positive result with being down a man for the majority of the game. Credit to the young hopefuls that played for Italy, they gave the crowd a good game in the 2nd half when it seemed likely that the early harsh dismissal (two yellows, the 2nd okay but the first yellow was ridiculous) would kill the game as a spectacle (and it did for the rest of the 1st half).

Its the first time in five years that I've seen a high quality soccer match in a professional venue in Toronto. That's a drought ended in my terms.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I heard the attendance was 22,000 or so? That's pretty low.

For a properly organized game held on a weekend with "A" teams it would be, but under the circumstances its about what I'd expect. Given the ticket prices they still made their cash.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

For a properly organized game held on a weekend with "A" teams it would be, but under the circumstances its about what I'd expect. Given the ticket prices they still made their cash.

There seemed more than 22 000. Maybe it was cause the Serbs wouldn't shut-up, but it seemed like there were a lot more Serbs there. It was a pretty good game.

Financially, yesterday's Star said the Italian FA was getting something like $4.3 million or something. So even if 75% of that is coming from the New York game, that still leaves over $1-million from the Toronto game. 22 000 * $80 avg. (200 level was full, unlike the 100 level) = approx. $1.8-million. Plus if you add $500 000 for the grass, plus the advertising, plus the Dome costs, plus the CSA's cut (hopefully they got paid this time), I doubt sponsoship added up to much, so it doesn't seem like it would make that much money, if any.

Kind of sad actually with about 400 000 Italians and over 50 000 Serbs within an hour of the Dome. And we wonder why Canada doesn't play more games in Canada?

Okay, officially it was 22,138.

Credit to the young hopefuls that played for Italy, they gave the crowd a good game in the 2nd half when it seemed likely that the early harsh dismissal (two yellows, the 2nd okay but the first yellow was ridiculous) would kill the game as a spectacle (and it did for the rest of the 1st half).

Somehow I have a hard time imagining the Tottis, Del Pieros and others left at home doing that. People want to see big names but don't realize how the smaller names can offer more. I care for Italy a lot less than I used to, but these new rosters can win me back... but I don't think they will last...

It looked like there was more than 22,000. If it was only 22,000 then the fans really sounded great. The Skydome has great acoustics and its amazing how a couple of thousand can make the dome tremble when the roof is closed.

I thought the match was exciting at times especially in the late stages of the second half.

Here's some photos and videos I took with my phone:

image_00068.jpg

The flares in the Serbian supporters section:

image_00074.jpg

A short video: http://www.xdesign.net/post/si/video_00037.mp4

Guest Jeffery S.

I think it looks pretty good for public, more than the fans to see Spain in Valencia the last two official matches. So no complaint there.

Re the money, it was live on the RAI, I suppose they would have paid a lot for it. I recently heard that for Spain national team friendlies TVE will pay over 2 million Euros, though they also control part of stadium ads to recover costs.

I was at the game last night and actually enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great despite the low numbers. This game had everything, red cards, flares, stupid fans running on the field. The game slowed down after Blasi was sent off in the first half, but the energy picked up when Italy tried to equalize in the second.

I think the point that DJT made about Inzaghi vs. Lucarelli is so true. Most of the Italian players from last night deserve to be on the Italian national team over players like Vieri and Del Piero, who are past their prime.

Even though I feel a little ripped off by my $75 ticket price (thank you TicketBastard), when you compare it to what concerts are going for in Toronto these days, it really wasn't that bad.

I love how the British report of the game calls the stadium the SkyDome:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/eurogames/italy-serbia.html

Edit: Just read a Toronto Star report stating that RAI paid the Italian Federation $1 mil. to broadcast both the Toronto and New York games. Does anyone in Canada have the RAI Internaional preview? Was this game on TV here?

Agree with both Gian-Luca and Massive Attack that it was a enjoyable game to watch.

Admittedly, the big name players weren't there, but don't you think this made for a better, i.e. more competitive game? The players on both sides had something to play for (possible selection for next summer's World Cup) and therefore treated us to a competitive game rather than a meaningless friendly.

quote:I love how the British report of the game calls the stadium the SkyDome:

Never could and never will understand why Rogers felt the need to rename the place - throughout the world, it's known as the SkyDome, so why the Rogers Centre rather than the Rogers SkyDome, I'll never know!!

Well the Refs were A-league Refs, I believe. The Ref was definitely out of his league & seemed to be determined to try to be the star of the show & perhaps show FIFA he deserves some more big matches, but hopefully he had the opposite effect. I can't stand trigger happy Refs in meaningless friendlies, especially when they ruin the game as a spectacle - thankfully that didn't happen as the 2nd half was much better than the first.

Fellow Ultras might be interested that one of the linesman from this match was THE poodle linesman who does losts of Lynx games - actually he & his compatriot on the other side were quite good, better than they are regularly at Lynx games.

Well the Refs were A-league Refs, I believe. The Ref was definitely out of his league & seemed to be determined to try to be the star of the show & perhaps show FIFA he deserves some more big matches, but hopefully he had the opposite effect. I can't stand trigger happy Refs in meaningless friendlies, especially when they ruin the game as a spectacle - thankfully that didn't happen as the 2nd half was much better than the first.

Fellow Ultras might be interested that one of the linesman from this match was THE poodle linesman who does losts of Lynx games - actually he & his compatriot on the other side were quite good, better than they are regularly at Lynx games.

I believe the ref was Italian....Depiero or Del Piero....which would explain why every call seemed to go against Italy, probably wanted to prove something but I don't think he'll be doing too many more FIFA matches. I too was at the game, great atmosphere, appreciated the young talent, exciting game, a true fight to the bitter end on the pitch but too many fights off the pitch...Italians with Serbs and Serbs amongst themselves, crazy, my Dad's 70 years old and we were sitting in section 211 when things exploded towards the end of the second half, I was seriously concerned for his safety and upset at how my fellow Serbs acted. Too much beer, here's an idea....worked at the Euro's when I was there last year, do not sell beer in the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I love how the British report of the game calls the stadium the SkyDome

So does the Italian media, both in the report you posted and on other sites.

quote:Does anyone in Canada have the RAI Internaional preview? Was this game on TV here?
I have it, but I'm not used to having it so I completely forgot about it and didn't even think to check. However, afterwards I checked the schedule on the Web and the match was not listed.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Story and Photos at:

http://www.ontariosoccerweb.com/articles.php?id=2071

Terrible reporting on all fronts for this event. The national anthem of Serbia-Montenegro is yet to be determined that's why they continue to use the Yugoslav national anthem in all competitions for all sporting teams...in short, the Serbs cannot agree to a new national anthem and how about Fox Sportsworld reporting that the Serbs brought their best possible team to beat Italy, Serbia's team did have some first string players but the majority were left out and the attendance announced on Fox was 35,000, I can understand rounding up to 25,000 but 35,000!!! Come on, that's ridiculous, reporters can't even file a decent report about a very simple event.

Archived