Tee Oh Stadium #4 (Vaughan announcement June 9)

leekoo

Here's a pdf of the Vaughan proposal:

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newscentre/2005/pdf/SoccerPresentationLetter.pdf

And an press release from the city's website:

News Release Date: June 9, 2005

VAUGHAN ANNOUNCES OSA-BACKED PROPOSAL TO BUILD A WORLD-CLASS SOCCER STADIUM

View Soccer Stadium Proposal brochure (10Mb PDF file)

The City of Vaughan today announced it has submitted a proposal to the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) to build a 20,000-seat soccer stadium in the community of Woodbridge. The proposed facility, which has been endorsed by the Ontario Soccer Association, would provide the CSA with a world-class venue in the Greater Toronto Area in time to host the 2007 FIFA Under-20 World Youth Soccer Championships.

"There is a tremendous opportunity to build a much-needed stadium that will benefit the entire GTA and we think we have a great location here in Vaughan," said Mayor Michael Di Biase. "We're ready, and we are approaching this project as a public-private partnership between the community, government, and sports organizations at the national and local levels."

The federal and provincial governments have pledged financial support for a soccer stadium in the GTA, originally planned for the University of Toronto downtown campus and later York University. Both locations are no longer available.

The new Vaughan stadium would be the centrepiece of a 111-acre Vaughan Soccer Campus on Martingrove Road. The site is home to The Ontario Soccer Centre, Canada's leading competition, training and exposition facility for The Ontario Soccer Association, The Canadian Soccer Association, The Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum, and Ontario's provincial leagues. The OSA, which operates the Soccer Centre and its full regulation indoor soccer field, would also look after day-to-day operations of the new Vaughan Soccer Campus.

"The OSA whole-heartedly supports this bid and we will do everything in our power to make this project come to fruition," said John Knox, OSA vice-president.

It is expected that the decision on where to locate a new stadium will be made by the Canadian Soccer Association in the next four to six weeks.

"We are excited to have Vaughan put this bid forward - it makes it more likely that we will have a stadium in the Greater Toronto Area," said Vincent Ursini, treasurer of the Canadian Soccer Association. "The Ontario Soccer Centre has been a very successful project and the City of Vaughan has been an instrumental player in soccer in Canada."

For more information , visit the Major Projects section of the City's website at www.vaughan.ca.

http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newscentre/2005/news05-62.cfm

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know this site is suburban, but it sounds like a pretty good proposal to me....connected to all of those other soccer related amenities, it could really become the national training centre that we need in the east....i think its a great opportunity.

it might not be the best spot urbanistically for toronto, but for soccer in canada, maybe it is the best. this complex sounds great....you couldnt do that on a more urban site.

the last thing we need is a soccer stadium left to rot because it is not used...being part of a training centre, will make it more functional....and the indoor pitch would be great for training for the nats as well as any potential pro team (mls or a league)

is it not more likely to be a grass pitch if it attached to a soccer training facility like that? if it is a lone facility, not part of a larger complex, it would take much more effort to maintain.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i know this site is suburban, but it sounds like a pretty good proposal to me....connected to all of those other soccer related amenities, it could really become the national training centre that we need in the east....i think its a great opportunity.

it might not be the best spot urbanistically for toronto, but for soccer in canada, maybe it is the best. this complex sounds great....you couldnt do that on a more urban site.

the last thing we need is a soccer stadium left to rot because it is not used...being part of a training centre, will make it more functional....and the indoor pitch would be great for training for the nats as well as any potential pro team (mls or a league)

is it not more likely to be a grass pitch if it attached to a soccer training facility like that? if it is a lone facility, not part of a larger complex, it would take much more effort to maintain.

The question of the training centre is not unimportant. If you invite a major international side for a summer friendly, or even for an official match they may want to have a place to train near the field, as they'll only get one practice on the stadium surface. It also allows you to put various administration services, a gym, other training complements, in the same area. It is also good for getting sponsors, as they see an integrated complex.

But for me, when it all comes down to it, the important thing is for there to be three more decent sized stadiums for the game in Canada besides Edmonton. And this would be one of them.

I wonder if Canada's performance at the WYCs in Holland will in any way impact the money the federal government has pledged towards the construction of a new stadium? Did their original commitment contain any conditions as to the where the location of a proposed stadium was to be built? If Canada fails to generate much public interest and support due to a poor campaign in Holland, have the feds left themselves a legal way out of this commitment, or are they 100% bound to build the stadium anywhere the CSA decides. A lack of public support may be all the government is looking for to save tens of millions of taxpayer dollars, and if the public supports consists of only 2,000 taxpayers in the GTA, is it really worthwhile? No one else has really stepped up to the table with any money. As it stands now it is solely up to the government if they want to spend this money building a stadium in someone else's backyard. I'd like to volunteer to have my backyard upgraded too. Just like the Vaughan proposal, I have many friends who would be willing to kick in $12,000,000.00.

The soap opera continues...

Jun. 15, 2005. 01:00 AM

Making a new pitch for soccer

GAIL SWAINSON

STAFF REPORTER

Toronto Star

Some $8 million in provincial funding for the FIFA soccer stadium project died when York University pulled out of the deal, a government spokesperson says.

This means the Canadian Soccer Association must present a new pitch if it hopes to get provincial grants for a proposed stadium, which would have at least 20,000 seats, to host the 2007 FIFA under-20 soccer tournament.

"This is a brand new project and a decision will be made on the merits of the new proposal," said David Oved, spokesperson for tourism and recreation minister Jim Bradley.

The federal government also needs details on location and stadium cost before it can hand out any funding, which on the York project was $27 million.

"We're committed to the project, but it's clearly still in an early stage," said Carla Ventin, spokesperson for federal infrastructure and communities minister John Godfrey. "In order for us to move ahead, we need more details."

The list of potential sites for the new stadium includes Vaughan, Exhibition Place in Toronto, Downsview and Mississauga. Oved said the University of Windsor and Lakefield, north of Peterborough, have also expressed interest.

The CSA will make the final decision on the location before the end of July.

"We'll meet these challenges and get a new proposal in because we believe they will see the validity of the project," Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer for the CSA, said yesterday. "Outside of the Olympics and the World Cup, this is one of the biggest sporting events in the world and it will bring $68 million in direct benefits here."

"$68 million in direct benefits." Come on Kevan, is that the best sale's pitch you can come up with?

First and foremost, you have proven that over the past twenty years you have been incapable of building up any financial reserves. The CSA has no money to contribute towards the construction of a national stadium.

Second, you have proven to be incapable of negotiating any type of binding contract with any potential partners in the construction of this stadium. Of course in classic denial, everyone one else is to blame and you are only the victim.

Now the monies the provincial and federal governments have promised is starting to slip away? When this money was promised, the CSA should have been in a position to start construction on a stadium right away. Today, you still don't even have a site seleted. Canada should be in the Netherlands right now, pitching 2007. Proudly illustrating the construction in progress of the stadiums where the next WYC will be hosted.

Finally, it will not be long before FIFA will turn their back on Canada and we will recesss even further into the international soccer backwaters. What is the extent of damage that this is causing to Canada's soccer future?

The position of stewardship of the Canadian Soccer Association needs to be fulfilled by a hardnosed azzhole. Obviously, you're not an azzhole. I implore you to resign immediately to resign in order to give someone a chance to save Canada's face. Please Kevan, the time has come. For once do the right thing. Quit!

quote:Originally posted by Robert

"$68 million in direct benefits." Come on Kevan, is that the best sale's pitch you can come up with?.....Now the monies the provincial and federal governments have promised is starting to slip away? When this money was promised, the CSA should have been in a position to start construction on a stadium right away. Today, you still don't even have a site seleted.

The position of stewardship of the Canadian Soccer Association needs to be fulfilled by a hardnosed azzhole. Obviously, you're not an azzhole. I implore you to resign immediately to resign in order to give someone a chance to save Canada's face. Please Kevan, the time has come. For once do the right thing. Quit!

Robert, as you know, Kevan and Andy Sharpe have been working together on this project. Obviously Andy thinks Kevan is doing a good job. Andy gets to see Kevan's work upclose, and he knows more about what Kevan is doing than you. I'm sure if Andy were to reply to you he would tell you that you don't know what you are talking about.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Robert, as you know, Kevan and Andy Sharpe have been working together on this project. Obviously Andy thinks Kevan is doing a good job. Andy gets to see Kevan's work upclose, and he knows more about what Kevan is doing than you. I'm sure if Andy were to reply to you he would tell you that you don't know what you are talking about.

Andy Sharpe was recently heard commenting that he instructed Kevan Pipe to get him $30 million towards a stadium and Kevan delivered, well done Kevan. Andy is extremely frustrated over what transpired with the Argonauts and equally so with the difficulty he is now having finding anybody in Toronto to use the $34 million the CSA brings to the table for a stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Andy Sharpe was recently heard commenting that he instructed Kevan Pipe to get him $30 million towards a stadium and Kevan delivered, well done Kevan. Andy is extremely frustrated over what transpired with the Argonauts and equally so with the difficulty he is now having finding anybody in Toronto to use the $34 million the CSA brings to the table for a stadium.

Richard, if what you say is true, that the CSA is bringing $34 million to the table, then why have they not accepted the Vaughan proposal yet? Maybe because it is the federal and provincial governments that are bringing the money to the table and not the CSA. If Kevan Pipe, on Andy Sharpe's instructions, is capable of getting $34 million of taxpayer dollars from these governments, then how come he's having such a problem getting anyone else on board?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Different set of problems Robert - would have thought you could figure that out for yourself or perhaps this is just another one of your 'slag the CSA every chance you get' kicks.

And with this current CSA administration I certainly don't lack a shortage of opportunities, do I? I can't wait to hear how absolutely delighted [:X]Andy Sharpe[:X] will be with the Vaughan proposal.

• 3 weeks later...

Oakville makes pitch for soccer showcase

Local soccer club proposes $50M complex

Bid to attract 2007 FIFA under-20 world tournament

MIKE FUNSTON

STAFF REPORTER

The Oakville Soccer Club has proposed building a $50 million soccer complex in a bid to play host to the 2007 FIFA under-20 world championship.

The plan, unveiled at a news conference yesterday, includes a stadium with 5,000 to 7,000 permanent seats and temporary bleachers to push capacity to between 20,000 and 22,000 for the championship, plus an additional 12 soccer pitches, including two with artificial turf.

The site would be on about 32 hectares of vacant public land bordered by Dundas St., Highway 407, Highway 25, and Neyagawa Blvd.

With the announcement, Oakville joins the soccer stadium sweepstakes with Toronto, Mississauga and Vaughan, which have announced plans to bid for the project in the wake of a pullout by York University.

York had secured $35 million in federal and provincial funding to build a 20,000-seat stadium in partnership with the Canadian Football League's Toronto Argonauts, but dropped the plan after the Argos decided to stay at the Rogers Centre.

All of the proposals hinge on federal and provincial funding, although Oakville's differs in that it's asking the province for $20 million worth of public land instead of cash, plus the $28 million the federal government still has on the table.

As for the other $2 million, Jean Gandubert, chief administrative officer of the Oakville club, which has 10,000 players and is one of the largest in Canada, said his organization has $1 million in the bank to contribute to such a project and another $1 million could easily be raised from the corporate sector.

Gandubert, who headed the Quebec Soccer Federation for 10 years and was a policy adviser to former federal sports minister Denis Coderre for three years, believes his connections in government and with Canadian soccer and FIFA officials will help Oakville's bid.

"The plan is consistent with the growing needs of the Oakville Soccer Club and is similar to a proposal made as part of Oakville's 2008 Toronto Olympic soccer stadium bid," he says.

Club president Simon Pendlebury says Oakville is "a soccer hotbed," boasting triple the national average in per-capita registration, with 600 house league teams and 100 rep squads. "We need new fields for our growing population."

Oakville Mayor Ann Mulvale reports council unanimously endorsed the bid this week. "Oakville's proximity to major highways and its effective transit system make it an ideal location. We're the natural choice in the GTA."

The Canadian Soccer Association will choose the site at the end of July.

It's estimated that the championship, FIFA's largest soccer tournament next to the World Cup, will generate about $68 million in economic activity for Canada.

Kevan Pipe, the association's chief operating officer, says he was notified by phone this week of the Oakville proposal, but refused to comment on it or the rival bids.

Sites being considered in Toronto are Downsview and Exhibition Place, while Mississauga's proposed location is next to the Hershey Centre and Vaughan's is at a sports park on Martin Grove Rd., south of Highway 7.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1120773012784&call_pageid=968350130169&col=969483202845

722 days till the 2007 WYCs kick-off, but where? I'm loving it, watching Kevan's demise. We can't even boast developing players up to the under 20 level anymore. What a joke. As if we ever could. Yes we had something that resembled a team in 2003 for about a week. However, does that seriously constitute being a country which has a soccer system in place that can develop internationally competitive players to the 2 year age level. I gonna write another book entitled: Kevan Pipe, the last 723 days.

722 days till the 2007 WYCs kick-off, but where? I'm loving it, watching Kevan's demise. We can't even boast developing players up to the under 20 level anymore. What a joke. As if we ever could. Yes we had something that resembled a team in 2003 for about a week. However, does that seriously constitute being a country which has a soccer system in place that can develop internationally competitive players to the 2 year age level. I gonna write another book entitled: Kevan Pipe, the last 723 days.

Robert - you say you are going to write another book. Did you write one before? Andy Sharpe thinks Pipe is doing a good job, so lay off him.

Who the poop is Andy, if Andy thinks Kevan is doing a good job? Name one thing, besides the 800,000 toddlers with a ball, that is good about Canadian soccer. Just one thing.

If it is that disappointing and terrible to you, please go away.

Canadian soccer can do without your 'support'.

If it is that disappointing and terrible to you, please go away.

Canadian soccer can do without your 'support'

Why do you think Canada dont draw support even playing at home as much as the other teams.

what was our highest draw in the last world cup campaign.

add the total attendances of all 3 games at home and it wont even come close to what the other teams drew in one game.

dont you think that enough peoples has given up already because of poorly selected and assembled teams and you prefer other to do so because they are stateting the obvious.

facts shows that we sucks time and time again in soccer and who is the organisation that is responsible for the quality of soccer in this country.

grass root level participation as it right would have been with or without the CSA

I gave my kid probably like you and millions of Canadians a soccer as soon as he started to walk and guest what he already knew what

to do with it.

was that because of the CSA?

that is what you see all across the country

the CSA feed on grass roots not the grass roots feeds on the CSA.

most parents dont give a damn about the CSA and the evidence is whenever the men's team played their usual three world cup qualifying games at home every four yrs.

if the CSA products is such a hot commodity why are municipalities

not linning up to build stadiums for soccer at their own expense to support soccer at the highest level

could it because we dont have such a thing and they know it

and who is responsible to deliver that kind of product

and where is such a product?

sj-why should I bother responding? You've shown your disdain many times in here, and my opinion won't influence a change in any way.

And you seem to be in the same boat as Robert. You're convinced 'we suck' as you say. So why bother coming in here? Why let it bother you? Walk away and involved yourself with something else, because you have never offered solutions to the problems you rant about and you do nothing but bitch.

Archived