Vaughan or Downsview Stadiums Still Possible?

To all the non Canadian soccer fans, who occasionally tune into this Voyageurs soap opera, I have the following suggestion; If you plan to visit Canada for the WYC in 2007, forget about going to Toronto/Vaughan/or wherever else they think their going to put up this stadium. Why put up with all that frustration? Instead, why not plan a real soccer holiday for one of the other five great Canadian host cities. As Kevan Pipe has probably already booked the Canadian team to play its matches in Toronto, chances are good that your country won't play there anyways. No 401's or 722's and subways and traffic to worry about. May I recommend some Western hospitality, in say Vancouver. Not only will you be able to enjoy the soccer in Canada's most beautiful city, which coincidently also will be hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics, but your only a scenic ferry trip away from Canada's second most beautiful city hosting games, Victoria. If you crave even more world class soccer, you can enjoy the splendor of travelling through the Rocky Mountain on route to Canada's showpiece soccer shire, Commonwealth Stadium, in Edmonton. Come relax and enjoy some warm and friendly Western Canadian hospitality which will ensure the soccer holiday of a lifetime. Visit Vancouver in 2007.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Robert

To all the non Canadian soccer fans, who occasionally tune into this Voyageurs soap opera, I have the following suggestion; If you plan to visit Canada for the WYC in 2007, forget about going to Toronto/Vaughan/or wherever else they think their going to put up this stadium. Why put up with all that frustration? Instead, why not plan a real soccer holiday for one of the other five great Canadian host cities. As Kevan Pipe has probably already booked the Canadian team to play its matches in Toronto, chances are good that your country won't play there anyways. No 401's or 722's and subways and traffic to worry about. May I recommend some Western hospitality, in say Vancouver. Not only will you be able to enjoy the soccer in Canada's most beautiful city, which coincidently also will be hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics, but your only a scenic ferry trip away from Canada's second most beautiful city hosting games, Victoria. If you crave even more world class soccer, you can enjoy the splendor of travelling through the Rocky Mountain on route to Canada's showpiece soccer shire, Commonwealth Stadium, in Edmonton. Come relax and enjoy some warm and friendly Western Canadian hospitality which will ensure the soccer holiday of a lifetime. Visit Vancouver in 2007.

You're an idiot.

<<forget about going to Toronto/Vaughan/or wherever else they think their going to put up this stadium>>

And that my friends, is the whole object of Robert's comments about the idea of building a stadium in Toronto. Dont build one there, lets actively strive to make horrible Toronto a soccer backwater in Canada. He supports the Lynx probably because they lose, and therefore are appropriate for Toronto right?.

Your anti-Toronto resentment is clear Robert so why not just say you'd hate to see soccer thrive here?

Hint: soccer in Canada does not have to be a zero sum game. You can have soccer enjoyed in different ways in different parts of the country. Building a stadium in Toronto is not the end of the world for soccer in the rest of Canada as some on this board would have you believe. A big 25,000 seater is appropriate here, as a 10,000 seater is elsewhere. MLS would work here, just as USL would work beautifully in a small town. This is a diverse country and we need diverse soccer solutions for its different parts. I encourage all parts of Canada to promote soccer in ways appropriate to their locales, but please lets stop hating on eachother because we are choosing different paths.

Well, his post was perhaps flame-bait in some respects, but I recommend first-time Canada visitors to go to Vancouver over Toronto, if they get the chance. I think Vancouver is beautiful, and a great place to visit. I think Toronto is a great place to live, but less so to visit.

I agree sstackho, that Vancouver is more beautiful for visiting, but its a fact that many people in Canada have a crabs-in-a-barrel mentality - they just hate to see someone else in the counrty succeed. Americans on the other hand always cheer on their counrtymen, and loudly too.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

I agree sstackho, that Vancouver is more beautiful for visiting, but its a fact that many people in Canada have a crabs-in-a-barrel mentality - they just hate to see someone else in the counrty succeed. Americans on the other hand always cheer on their counrtymen, and loudly too.

I've often found many Torontonians to possess more of an American mentality.

I have locked this thread because we have two stadium threads running at the same time. Whenever a new stadium thread begins, the same discussion just seems to carry over from the old thread to the new thread.

Archived