June 4 - Toronto vs. Portland [R]

DJT

Result of the Saturday June 4th, 2005 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Portland Timbers played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 7:30pm.

13 min...Timbers Scott Benedetti is knocked over in Lynx box on sliding tackle by Abraham Francois. Referee Pierre Cantave calls for a Penalty kick.

14 min...Timbers Dan Antoniuk GOAL...Antoniuk strikes Penalty kick low and to left corner under diving goalie Richard Goddard.

Final Score:.......Toronto Lynx........0..............Portland Timbers...............1...........

Attendance wasn't announced or given out but I'd estimate it about as bad as last week; maybe given as 1200 with 900 people actually showing up.

The Lynx didn't have enough chances to expect to score goals. Lynx Sean Fraser had the best chance at the 51 minute mark when he beat a defender and rushes along edge of box but blast an 18 yard shot well wide right of net.

Lynx goalie Richard Goddard earned the player of the game award from the Rogers Cable broadcast. He made a brilliant save at 54 minutes on Timbers Paul Conway's 19 yard free kick that's low and through player wall. The rebound has Timbers Dan Antoniuk chip an 8 yard shot over the open net. This play was called because Goddard had stepped out of his box while punting a long ball up field. He had to make a similar save when Timbers Aaran Lines had a 20 yard free kick through the Lynx player wall that he deflected with his fists. Another great diving save at 87 minutes when Timbers Scott Benedetti kept the ball in play on the left sideline and crossed to edge of box where Byron Alvarez got away an 18 yard shot.

Lynx regular goalie Theo Zagar is injured but probably deserved a rest after having four goals in each of his last two games; (pulled after the fourth goal against Rochester). The only strategic problem with Richard Goddard is he can cut out the Lynx midfield because he routinely boots the ball 70 yard up field on a punt but that leaves the Lynx with no build-up. The Timbers were not going to let too many bouncing through-balls beat their defenders and their goalie was ready to cover anything that got through.

The Lynx defense looked much improved from their last home efforts against Puerto Rico and Rochester earlier in the week when they let in four and five goals. New player Nigel Henry who was an international with Trinidad & Tobago joined Abraham Francois, Jeremie Piette and Edgar Bartolomeu (returning to the team for his first home game this year) letting captain Rick Titus to push up to play a defensive midfielder. The consequence of this was that the Lynx forwards were faced with a lot of 2 on 5 rushes that would easily be turned aside.

Timbers goalie Josh Saunders earned the shutout with a few good saves but he was mostly in the right place for the balls to be shot right at him or timely runs to slide out to trap through balls. One of his few bloopers was a bad clearance that Lynx David Simpson intercepts in the box at 38 minutes. Saunders held his ground which caused Simpson to hold up and by the time he chipped a cross for Sean Fraser to get a weak header across the box, Timbers had rushed five players back in the box to cover up any Lynx chance. Lynx couldn't get an equalizing penalty call despite some dives and jostling in the Timbers box. Best chance was when Sita-Taty Matondo got pushed and dived in the box but he had put the ball to his left for Huffman Eja-Tabe 15 yard shot was caught by Saunders.

Lynx media relations director Dick Howard said it's the worst case of officiating he's seen. The inspector rating the officials tonight wrote about three pages of notes and specially asked to see a replay of the penalty kick call at the end of the game from the Rogers guys. Oooh. Lot likely we'll see Quebec referee Pierre Cantave here again!

The Lynx players got back to the city by train last night from Montreal after their 0-0 draw against the League title holders while Timbers took a bus in from Rochester after they lost 3-1 last night.

Lynx have not won in this 2005 season after 11 games. The fans continue to bleed away. I wonder if this continues will the team be in the USL First Division in 2006. I can see a strong chance that the Lady Lynx will outdraw the male Lynx team. A 2-0 home record and good organization linkage with youth teams may pull this off. This could happen as soon as tomorrow at 4:00pm against the Vermont Lady Voltage. A Lady Lynx School Day game coming up Wednesday morning at 11:00am against Sudbury Canadians will give them a chance at building their attendance.

The teen rock/grunge band "Preconfused" was back to play before and after the game and at halftime. They got the Ultras in their pocket by giving a salute to the Lynx supporters. This won them more than boos by those fans and they were the noisiest for their song "Do The Wave". The band didn't play while the game was on which seems to be so important to Voyageurs making comments from 3000 miles away.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

They are good as long as they dont sing :) They had this chick with them and she kept vawing to us and @ half time she cam up to try to sell us CD'S " I know you guys like the music they play so hlef em out" I honestly did not have the heart to tell her NO, so I was like ahhh ehhhhh awww Nah I'll pass. She seemed disapointed and upset. Anywho I hope they play again because if they do were bringing pillows and having our own pillow fight. Oh yeah Billy Idol also made an apperance @ the game ;)

Did anyone question the call of Busby playing only with one forward? Are they just trying to keep the games close or are they actually trying to win? I know they eventually switched to two forwards but a little to late. Unfortunate PK call, can't believe we get these calls in our own stadium. Can you see a ref calling that call in Montreal or Rochester?

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

The only strategic problem with Richard Goddard is he can cut out the Lynx midfield because he routinely boots the ball 70 yard up field on a punt but that leaves the Lynx with no build-up. The Timbers were not going to let too many bouncing through-balls beat their defenders and their goalie was ready to cover anything that got through.

Robin,

Could you get any sense of how strong Richard Goddard's throwing arm might be? With his leg power, I imagine that it is a great way of getting the pressure off the back line but as you say, it becomes a bit predictable and makes it difficult to build up any sort of offence on the ground.

I've always liked relatively quickly released throws to the mid-sidelines to get things turn around in a hurry.

db

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Attendance wasn't announced or given out but I'd estimate it about as bad as last week; maybe given as 1200 with 900 people actually showing up.

Attendance announced in the press release was 2724 meaning it was a standing room only crowd.

db

quote:Originally posted by big fan

Did anyone question the call of Busby playing only with one forward? Are they just trying to keep the games close or are they actually trying to win? I know they eventually switched to two forwards but a little to late. Unfortunate PK call, can't believe we get these calls in our own stadium. Can you see a ref calling that call in Montreal or Rochester?

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but yes...referees are not very good in this league.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Could you get any sense of how strong Richard Goddard's throwing arm might be?

Yeah, he has a great arm. At least it was great with the Ottawa Wizards.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Give the new team a chance to shine.....

They havnt had a really bad result since the three new players have come in and word on the street is that wyn has signed and is playing on the 10th vs Rochester...

"Hope springs eternal in a young man's breast."

meatloaf.jpg

Archived