CAN 14 DF EDGAR David

CAN 15 DF STEWART Vince

CAN 16 FW LALLI Franco

CAN 17 FW LOMBARDO Andrea

CAN 18 MF CHAROWSKI Tomek

CAN 19 GK BEGOVIC Asmir

CAN 20 GK GIACOMI Rob

CAN 21 DF KASSAYE Simon

I wonder if it had anything to do with his club commitments. I'm a little dissapointed not to have Uccello. I've never actually seen him play but it seems that skillwise he is one of our best players at this age group.

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

I wonder if it had anything to do with his club commitments. I'm a little dissapointed not to have Uccello. I've never actually seen him play but it seems that skillwise he is one of our best players at this age group.

His commitment was clear, when he left last sunday match he was quoted he would only come due to the rules IF Canada will allow it for him to play. Otherwise he knows he would have to stay there.

No question about his skills he the best striker of them all it's too bad I'm sure he will get over it, he will mature from this.

He are some stats comparing the rosters of other teams

Nigeria has the youngest team roster average year of birth is 1986 followed by

Canada, Syria, Australia, Benin, USA, of 1985.8

The oldest group according to this article is Germany average 1985

followed by Italy and Brazil, with average of 1985.1 year of birth

quote:Originally posted by Alberto

He are some stats comparing the rosters of other teams

Nigeria has the youngest team roster average 86 years of age followed by

I know the Nigerians have been known to fib about their real ages, but averaging 86 years old? Do these guys play with walkers and crutches?

That's pretty frickin' old.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Too bad about Uccello. Best of luck to him with this club football, though. I hope is hasn't soured him on playing for Canada in the future.

Why would it he loves the game and will play any where if he is wanted!

Thanks I'll pass on the message to him when he returns on Sunday! At least they will have him back for his final game and thats important as well.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Too bad about Uccello. Best of luck to him with this club football, though. I hope is hasn't soured him on playing for Canada in the future.

Ray there are at least 14 resaons why he should not be soar but please remember all that equal 14 plus the six letters that follow it. I will start to write them down for you when i have a chance to late right now but I will I promise you if i dont please remind me! thanks And he is not soar, he is happy for them and wishes them well trust me!

Originally posted by The Beaver - 06/03/2005 : 14:23:40</u>

From FIFA.com

Canada are reaping the rewards of a progressive youth policy initiated by their football association. Last tournament’s tremendous run to the quarter-finals combined with a top-spot position from a tough-looking qualifying group in Honduras, has many fans beginning to talk of medals instead of avoiding a first-round exit on their seventh seat among the world’s best youth.

This season’s crop look likely to be typically tough to breakdown. Mentally strong, possessing players with the experience of living and playing abroad and tactically well drilled by coach Dale Mitchell, Canada could well surprise many of the more traditional powers in the Netherlands. Their attacking threat should come from the wings where the pace of Jamie Peters and Marcel De Jong will trouble the busiest of defenders. And in Ryan Gyaki, who scored all four goals in qualifying, they have a midfielder for the biggest of occasions.

With the nation due to stage the event in 2007 and after the disappointment of failing to reach the final qualifying stage for the 2006 FIFA World Cup still fresh in many fans’ minds, the young Canucks will be mindful that a nation’s attention will be directed towards them in Europe.

Qualifying

Canada won all three of their games in Honduras to comfortably qualify for the finals. They showed their battling qualities by coming from a goal down in their crunch opener against Mexico to score a 2-1 win. Hosts Honduras were then put to the sword by the only goal, and having already made it, the Maple Leafs defeated Jamaica 1-0 to complete a perfect tournament.

Coach

The eloquent Dale Mitchell will once again be in charge as Canada come up against the best in youth football. Canada and Mitchell, who has been at the helm of the youth team since February 2002, won many friends in the United Arab Emirates, coming ever so close to shocking Spain and grabbing a spot in the final four. Previously A-League Coach of the Year with hometown side the Vancouver Whitecaps, he has worked his way up the youth football ladder - including a stint as assistant coach of the U-17 side. A former international, Mitchell hit a record 19 goals in 55 matches and was part of the Canada side that reached the 1986 FIFA World Cup Mexico™.

Star Player

A recent recruit to Dale Mitchell’s side, Ryan Gyaki has made a sensational impact, scoring all four goals as Canada swept to qualification. Spotted by a Sheffield United scout three years ago in Cuba, the Toronto-born midfielder has been progressing through the English First Division club’s youth system until recent niggling Injuries caused a setback. The new year could not have started more positively and the 19-year-old, one of Mitchell’s leaders on the park, will be hoping for more glory in the Netherlands.

Record

This will be Canada's seventh appearance after 1979, 1985, 1987, 1997, 2001 and 2003

Canada’s best run came at UAE 2003 when they reached the quarter-finals

Canada will host the 2007 edition of the competition

"Chemistry is a very big thing in sport and this team certainly has an abundance of it.” (Dale Mitchell, coach)

I haven't really followed too much ,, but what is the story behind Uccello not making the club?? It sounds like it had something to do with him playing an important game for his club team near the tourney so he was cut ,, is that right?? Or did his club team not let him play?? I guess we will see how it pans out but in my opinion I think it's a mistake,, we got 0 goals from our forwards during the qualifying tourney and once again shutout by Morrocco in the tune up. By all accounts, it seems like Uccello is a natural scorer and has a good nose for the net, not knocking Will Johnson but it looks like we don't really have any kind of natural goal scorer on this club as we did last time with Hume.. I don't think Gyaki is gonna keep up this goal scoring frenzy pace from midfield.. Time will tell, but hopefully this team has someone step forward and score some key goals and cutting Uccello doesn't come back to bite Mitchell and Canada in the butt.. Lookin forward to watchin this tourney

Dropping Uccello could be the critical mistake. We're lacking goal-scoring and so we drop one of our two best forwards (assuming that Gyaki is a mid and even then I don't know . . .)

As a side question how did we lineup today against Morocco? Anyone have any gueses?

--------------------------WAGENAAR

-----------------KASSAYE---------HAINAULT

RAMALHO------------------------------------------LEDGERWOOD

--------------------------CHAROWSKI

----PETERS----------ROSENLUND -----------------DE JONG

-------------------------------GYAKI

----------------------------JOHNSON

Do we assume Charowski was the most likely d-mid of the three central mids? And since Edgar came on for Kassaye, that Ramalho took over Stewart's outside back spot?

As for the result, Morocco drew Colombia 1-1 and are probably only behind Nigeria as far as the best U20 teams in Africa. I hate late goals, but the Morocco result isn't terrible.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Do we assume Charowski was the most likely d-mid of the three central mids?

Perhaps. But it was Schiavoni who played there in qualifying and I thought he played very well. I recall our opponents, at the time, not having much success moving the ball through the middle of the pitch.

But I haven't seen Charowski, so I cant say and you may be right, he could turn out to be a real gem. I too am surprised that Mitchell left off Uccello given the resume that he brings to the table. Yes, the second hand accounts that we have read would suggest that he possesses those natural poaching skills that are hard to find and that, at the very least, you could alway use in the latter stages of many games. Plus, we are in the same group as Italy so you would think that there would have been a great deal of motivation on his part.

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

Does anyone know if the final roster of 21 had to contain 3 goalkeepers? I'm assuming it is an 18 man roster + 3 keepers. Cause given a choice a 3rd keeper really isn't necessary.

Yes, unlike some tournaments (Gold Cup), there was no rule for an injury reserve squad in the regs, so a third GK had to be in the 21.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I haven't really followed too much ,, but what is the story behind Uccello not making the club?? It sounds like it had something to do with him playing an important game for his club team near the tourney so he was cut ,, is that right?? Or did his club team not let him play?? I guess we will see how it pans out but in my opinion I think it's a mistake,, we got 0 goals from our forwards during the qualifying tourney and once again shutout by Morrocco in the tune up. By all accounts, it seems like Uccello is a natural scorer and has a good nose for the net, not knocking Will Johnson but it looks like we don't really have any kind of natural goal scorer on this club as we did last time with Hume.. I don't think Gyaki is gonna keep up this goal scoring frenzy pace from midfield.. Time will tell, but hopefully this team has someone step forward and score some key goals and cutting Uccello doesn't come back to bite Mitchell and Canada in the butt.. Lookin forward to watchin this tourney

Only the Mister can explain why he does! or does not! its his choice and he does not have explain nothing. As far as Julian is concern he did his best but obviously not better then the mister 4 choice of players.

as far as the important game in savona is nonsense Julian was there to make the team and be part of it. Savona had to release Julian under the laws of calling up players. ONly if Canada would permit it he could have gone back.....

But that all spilt milk anyhow!

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Perhaps. But it was Schiavoni who played there in qualifying and I thought he played very well. I recall our opponents, at the time, not having much success moving the ball through the middle of the pitch. But I haven't seen Charowski, so I cant say and you may be right, he could turn out to be a real gem.

I expected Schiavoni to start and who knows, maybe he will be come Sunday, but it just seemed that given who we started Charowski was the most likely d-mid. I too liked Schiavoni in qualifying. I also have a friend in NC who saw Charowski a bit with Duke and was quite impressed (he brought Charowski up last fall and I'd never heard of him). But I thought of him as a more skillful guy and not really a d-mid.

> Yes, the second hand accounts that we have read would suggest that he possesses those natural poaching skills that are hard to find and that, at the very least, you could alway use in the latter stages of many games.

Well I've seen him in person at the national championships a couple of years ago and he wasn't as heralded as guys like Lombardo, but I thought he was the best Ontario had. He was a Radz type player. He came in and out of the game, but he created danger and took his chances well. He looked like a natural goal scorer with that killer instinct.

That being said I trust Mitchell, so hopefully he knows what he's doing.

cheers,

matthew

Archived