Gold Cup Questions

masster

Just some questions about the Gold Cup:

1. How do they determine when the next tournament will be? If you look at the history of the gold cup (91, 93, 96, 98, 00, 02, 03, 05) there doesn't seem to be a pattern?

2. How do they determine who hosts the Gold Cup? Every tournament has been in the US so far with two (I believe) being co-hosted with Mexico. Any chance that Canada could host or co-host the GC in the near future especially if a stadium were to get done in Toronto? We would have at least 5 suitable venues after the WYC in 2007.

3. Why did Canada withdraw from the tournament in 1998?

Thanks

1. Every two years, but they switched it from odd to even for 4 editions (when I believe it was in the winter, as opposed to the summer).

2. A marketing company owns the rights and basically always has it in the States because that's where it will make the most money with the most available stadiums in big, multi-cultural cities. What other (non-host) country would get 30,000 for Haiti-Canada AND Guatemala-Cuba?

3. To give their spot to Jamaica, who had qualified for that summer's WC, but not the GC.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

To give their spot to Jamaica, who had qualified for that summer's WC, but not the GC.

We are such good sameratins. :D

I remember that being the "official reason". Wasn't the real reason due to a lack of CSA funds?[8D]

Archived