Questions about the Ottawa Fury and the PDL

MikeD

I'm posting these questions in a new thread because the other Fury thread has spun off into a boring and pointless tangent about whether or not Ottawa is an A-League market.

First of all, as a long-time Voyageur I'm embarassed that I missed the home opener last weekend. [:I] I completely forgot that the Fury even had a PDL team. I understand that the Sun has been covering them, but I don't read the Sun, I've seen nothing about the team on TV and heard nothing on the radio, so it just slipped my mind. Sorry. I'll be at home games in the future.

So, on to my questions:

1) What did those of you who were at the home opener think of the level of play? If any of you used to go to Ottawa Wizards matches, how did this match compare?

2) What is the playoff format in the PDL? How well do we have to do in our division to make the playoffs and what happens if we make the playoffs?

3) What sort of tactics did the Fury employ?

1) I thought the level of play was decent for the price of admission. Unfortunately, I never made it to a wizards game so I can't compare for you. You could tell it was a development team and there were mistakes here and there, but I thought it was about on par for what I was expecting. Maybe a bit better.

3) Fury started out as a 4-4-2 but then switched to a 3-5-2 as Westchester were playing very defensively. They dominated the game in the second half. The first half, they were mostly trying to work the ball outside and then cross it in (with varying results). It seemed to me that they were being more direct in the middle for the second half. They seem to be very offensive minded which is something to look forward to.

Others may have seen it differently though.

Thanks for the responses. I always thought the Wizards were too good for the league they were in. If the PDL is more competitive, then the small step down in terms of the quality of the Fury (vis-a-vis the Wizards) will be made up for by the higher quality of the opposition. Looking forward to the next home match.

Archived